So who's going to win the world cup?

Lord Antares

You have no idea what its like being Italian, in an Italian coffee shop/club, watching England play ( wearing an English jersey and with an English flag flying on my vehicle ), and being the only one cheering England.

I even sang along to God Save the Queen with the fans in the stands.
( OK, now I'm embellishing a little )

Edited by MigL

1 hour ago, YaDinghus said:

I really tried escaping the World Cup this tine around. It is virtually impossible

It's probably aroused a lot of interest because the outcomes have been pretty unexpected.

Edited by StringJunky

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, John Cuthber said:

There's a variant where everybody gets to use their hands- the scores are generally higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby

Don't miss the match today between France and Belgium.  It starts at 2:00 EST, which is in 2 hours from now, on Fox!

Yes but Rugby is not Soccer (Football).   The "beautiful game" is played with no hands (except the goalies).  The goalie is like a dictator who gets to do what no other player gets to do.  Make it more egalitarian.  Then for penalty kicks you kick the ball from the center of the field into the goal that has no goalie.  Remember when you were in high school and nobody wanted to play goalie?  Everyone wanted to run around on the field.   I remember getting stuck with the goalie position because nobody else would!  But not for long. <_<

"Egalitarianism (from French égal, meaning 'equal') – or equalitarianism[1][2] – is a school of thought that prioritizes equality for all people.[3] Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status.[4] Egalitarianism is a trend of thought in political philosophy. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the term has two distinct definitions in modern English:[5] either as a political doctrine that all people should be treated as equals and have the same political, economic, social and civil rights;[6] or as a social philosophy advocating the removal of economic inequalities among people, economic egalitarianism, or the decentralization of power. Some sources define egalitarianism as the point of view that equality reflects the natural state of humanity."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egalitarianism

Edited by Airbrush

11 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

"Egalitarianism (from French égal, meaning 'equal') – or equalitarianism[1][2] – is a school of thought that prioritizes equality for all people.[3] Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status.[4] Egalitarianism is a trend of thought in political philosophy. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the term has two distinct definitions in modern English:[5] either as a political doctrine that all people should be treated as equals and have the same political, economic, social and civil rights;[6] or as a social philosophy advocating the removal of economic inequalities among people, economic egalitarianism, or the decentralization of power. Some sources define egalitarianism as the point of view that equality reflects the natural state of humanity."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egalitarianism

Did you intend to post this in this thread? If so, why?

Ok the topic is "Who is going to win the World Cup".  I am off topic but this is a discussion about soccer/football.  I am merely questioning the basis of the game.

Did you ever play soccer/football?  Did you WANT to be goalie?  I think most goalies wanted to be a soccer player running around on the field, but got forced into the position because somebody MUST be goalie.  Maybe this should be a separate topic "How to Improve Soccer/Football?"  Or "Being a Goalie Sucks".

Now back to the topic.  This is a Science Forum, so let's be scientific about it.  Who is going to win is impossible to tell, so the question is meaningless.  There are 4 great, evenly matched teams left in competition and nobody knows who is going to be the champ (except for an octopus named Paul).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus

Edited by Airbrush

On 7/8/2018 at 10:57 AM, Airbrush said:

How can you change the game so there is more scoring?  Maybe by eliminating the goalie position so nobody gets to use their hands. :D

That's how they do at the youngest level of youth soccer ( though they reduce the number of players to 6 to a side.)  They also reduce the size of the goal down to ~8 feet. 

Of course, at this level,  the game consists of 12 kids all bunched up around the ball kicking it back and forth, and if the ball happens to pop out and score a goal, so be it.  Though one time My daughter got a clear solid kick on the ball and it rolled 3/4 the length of the pitch to score a goal.  But to be fair, the field is short at that level and the ground had a definite slope in that direction. ( At this level, you played wherever there was enough free space to mark out a playing pitch with cones.) It wasn't an overly strong kick, but with the help of the slope, it rolled just fast enough to keep ahead of the all the girls chasing after it and by luck more than anything else, passed between the cones marking out the goal.

As for the teams left,  England is the team getting the support of our household,  just because one of my wife's grandparents was from there. 

On 8.07.2018 at 5:31 PM, MigL said:

You have no idea what its like being Italian, in an Italian coffee shop/club, watching England play ( wearing an English jersey and with an English flag flying on my vehicle ), and being the only one cheering England.

I even sang along to God Save the Queen with the fans in the stands.
( OK, now I'm embellishing a little )

I can tell you that it might not have worked if it was the other way around. If you had an Italian flag on your truck and wore an Italian jersey in an English pub you’d most probably not make it home that night. 

16 minutes ago, koti said:

I can tell you that it might not have worked if it was the other way around. If you had an Italian flag on your truck and wore an Italian jersey in an English pub you’d most probably not make it home that night. 

Ha ha ha - I watched an England vs Germany game in 1996 in a sports bar with some others and one guy was a post dock from Germany.  Germany scored and leapt up onto the table shouting "YEEEEEESSSS!!!", shaking both fists in the air.......   only to look around the packed bar of about a hundred or so Brits that were staring at him open mouthed in ABSOLUTE silence. lol.  He realised he was the only one cheering, shut up and sat back down rather sheepishly.  lol.  We just put our heads in our hands. You could have cut the air with a knife for a minute or so before muffled conversations started up and the bar returned to normal.

59 minutes ago, DrP said:

Ha ha ha - I watched an England vs Germany game in 1996 in a sports bar with some others and one guy was a post dock from Germany.  Germany scored and leapt up onto the table shouting "YEEEEEESSSS!!!", shaking both fists in the air.......   only to look around the packed bar of about a hundred or so Brits that were staring at him open mouthed in ABSOLUTE silence. lol.  He realised he was the only one cheering, shut up and sat back down rather sheepishly.  lol.  We just put our heads in our hands. You could have cut the air with a knife for a minute or so before muffled conversations started up and the bar returned to normal.

I salute your bravery :P 

39 minutes ago, koti said:

I salute your bravery :P 

Sorry - must have mistyped...  the German post doc jumped on the table to celebrate... not me.  I was looking the other way, head in hand, trying not be associated with him.... which was difficult as he was sat at our table.  

2 hours ago, koti said:

If this was rugby, you'd not make it home till you've drunk all the drinks bought for you, so probably not for a day or two... 

2 hours ago, koti said:

Hmmm I think that’s a little too much of a stereotype. The English are largely compassionate and reserved. 99% of pubs would have no issue with foreign supporters.

19 minutes ago, Scott of the Antares said:

Hmmm I think that’s a little too much of a stereotype. The English are largely compassionate and reserved. 99% of pubs would have no issue with foreign supporters.

Sure, we Poles are equally compassionate and reserved just like the British are. There are some especially „compassionate” team fans like the British ‚Millwall’ or Polish ‚Arka Gdynia’ 

But seriously, it all depends and youre right that stereotyping is not a good thing.

I also screwed up the quotation marks again, oh well.

Awesome - I just found out that if you type "Come on England" as part of a sentence in a facebook post at the moment, then you get an explosion of footballs on the screen with stars and glitter....   and it then highlights the words in red in your post.  :D

44 minutes ago, koti said:

Sure, we Poles are equally compassionate and reserved just like the British are. There are some especially „compassionate” team fans like the British ‚Millwall’ or Polish ‚Arka Gdynia’ 

But seriously, it all depends and youre right that stereotyping is not a good thing.

I also screwed up the quotation marks again, oh well.

English thugs are/were such a blight but a small group. I am hopeful this shameful habit is now truly in the past!

1 hour ago, Lord Antares said:

Good luck to England. See you soon.

Indeed! Let’s hope for good match sir!