So who's going to win the world cup?

Lord Antares

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, swansont said:

Since the goalkeeper always guesses one side or another on penalty kicks, I wonder why there isn't more shooting at the center, elevated somewhat. (To avoid a lucky block by the feet)

Maybe Harry Kane was listening to you because England's only goal against Colombia was a penalty kick that was dead center on goal, but goalie dove for the corner.

The trick for a penalty shot directly center on goal is to not kick the ball too hard and pretend like it is going to be a high velocity, but kick the ball soft enough to allow time for the goalie to dive out of the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJFAHdusoGY

After a 1-1 tie, the match was settled by penalty kicks, and shame on Columbia for missing 2 penalty kicks.

Edited by Airbrush

I thought we looked pretty good until the scrappy goal in the last min of the game. Then it was a horrid half hour of them being all over us and we hang on. Lucky but we'll take it.

Those lads (about half the team?) are already world champions from under 17s and under 21s. I'll keep watching. :) 

Do they ever drink liquids from that cup? I bet someone somewhere has won a trophy like this just to pour wine into it and drink it with a grin of accomplishment.

Edited by ALine

19 minutes ago, ALine said:

Do they ever drink liquids from that cup?

Almost certainly...  someone has probably pissed in it too.

I know that the Claret jug for the Open Golf has been pissed in. It does get drunk from also.

Edited by DrP

2 minutes ago, DrP said:

Almost certainly...  someone has probably pissed in it too.

I know that the Claret jug for the Open Golf has been pissed in. It does get drunk from also

Please tell me a new cup is created and not passed down. Please tell me this, I need to be deluded in this case. Please tell me it is also metal and not plastic.

1 hour ago, ALine said:

Please tell me a new cup is created and not passed down. Please tell me this, I need to be deluded in this case. Please tell me it is also metal and not plastic.

You wash it and it's fine. Biologists and chemists put nasty stuff in beakers and then wash them out. If any appreciable contamination remained, they couldn't do repeatable experiments.

Plus, the water you drink contains recycled dinosaur pee.

Not really a cup, so I don't know what you'd pour liquid into.

Made of 18 kt gold and worth about $200000.

This is the second iteration, and changes hands every 4 yrs.
The first was awarded permanently to Brazil after their many victories.
And promptly stolen

7 hours ago, swansont said:

Plus, the water you drink contains recycled dinosaur pee

14 minutes ago, MigL said:

Made of 18 kt gold and worth about $200000.

8 hours ago, DrP said:

No - it keeps it's pissy patina from champion to champion.

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, swansont said:

You wash it and it's fine. Biologists and chemists put nasty stuff in beakers and then wash them out. If any appreciable contamination remained, they couldn't do repeatable experiments.

Funny that you mentioned that, one common contamination that ruins reproducibility are detergents if folks run them through the lab dishwasher, for example.

While watching a few of the games here in the US I've seen a few car commercials built around the fact that the US didn't make it to the World Cup.  In it they have people from other countries giving reasons why fans from the US should root for their country's team.  In one, it is a women arguing for Brazil because they have won the most trophies.  

For me, that would be a reason to root against Brazil.   In a case where I have no personal attachment to either team, I always tend to root for the underdog.  I'd rather see a team which has never won take the trophy over a team that had already won several times.

England beat Sweden 2-0 and Russia Vs Croatia was decided on penalty kicks!  Russia missed 2 penalty kicks.  Interesting to note that only a few penalty kicks were delivered to either of the upper corners.  None were shot to the center of the goal.  Most were low and towards either post.  Why is that?  My guess is that forwards are usually paranoid about kicking OVER the goal.  That is why they overcompensate by shooting low.  Current rank:

Croatia 5-0-0

Belgium 5-0-0

France 4-1-0

England 4-0-1

8 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

England beat Sweden 2-0 and Russia Vs Croatia was decided on penalty kicks!  Russia missed 2 penalty kicks.  Interesting to note that only a few penalty kicks were delivered to either of the upper corners.  None were shot to the center of the goal.  Most were low and towards either post.  Why is that?  My guess is that forwards are usually paranoid about kicking OVER the goal.  That is why they overcompensate by shooting low.  Current rank:

Croatia 5-0-0

Belgium 5-0-0

France 4-1-0

England 4-0-1

Although I want England to lift the cup again, I would be happy to see a Belgium - Croatia match as neither have won it. I don't want France to win but they just may.

11 minutes ago, Lord Antares said:

So the match on wednesday is pretty much going to be the science forum vs me? :P

It's not my field but I think Wednesday's game is England Vs Croatia, in which case the Scots and Welsh will be on Croatia's side.

32 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

It's not my field but I think Wednesday's game is England Vs Croatia, in which case the Scots and Welsh will be on Croatia's side.

LOL not all of them, just the petty under-developed ones with chips in their shoulders!

46 minutes ago, Lord Antares said:

So the match on wednesday is pretty much going to be the science forum vs me? :P

Nope! There are plenty of sturdy Englishmen on these forums!

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

Are there Scots and Welsh on this forum? I thought it was just English tea drinkers with monocles.

34 minutes ago, Scott of the Antares said:

Nope! There are plenty of sturdy Englishmen on these forums!

Yeah, I know. That's my point.