So who's going to win the world cup?

Lord Antares

8 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

It looks like there are 32 teams qualified for the world cup, and my own country USA did not qualify.  How embarrassing! :wacko:

:D Well since Grid Iron [yuk!] is the generally chosen winter football code in the US, that is probably understandable. Soccer in Australia, has grown tremendously over the last 20 years or so, but still is not the foremost football code in any of the states...In my own state of NSW, we have the greatest game of all, Rugby League, with soccer probably next in line with Rugby Union....Victoria along with SA has Australian Rules or as I like to call it, Arial Ping pong :P [Apologies to any Victorians out there] Queensland again is Rugby League, along with WA also.

But on the odd occasions the rareity of a sport in a particular country may not mean a lack of world class champions..Australia has won gold medals at the Winter Olympics for example.

Here's an example of the greatest game of all...[OK, OK I'm bloody well biased! :P]

1 hour ago, beecee said:

Here's an example of the greatest game of all...[OK, OK I'm bloody well biased! :P]

I saw just a few seconds of your video, and I am just thinking about this:

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

List of NFL players with chronic traumatic encephalopathy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

Edited by Sensei

24 minutes ago, Sensei said:

I saw just a few seconds of your video, and I am just thinking about this:

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

List of NFL players with chronic traumatic encephalopathy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

Yes, over the last couple of years any player that gets a head knock, serious enough to cause any notable unusual behaviour including being knocked to the ground, is immediatley taken off and replaced. He is then given what we call a HIA, Head Injury Assessment by a doctor, and in most occasions is rested from the rest of the game and even future games.

Edited by beecee

Brazil has failed to impress during the last decade, they may be losing their magic.
Germany has lost some key players, don't know if the youngsters can pull it off.
Spain is starting to wind down, amazing play still, but have lost some very important games.
Both Italy and Holland failed to qualify, while Argentina barely slipped in.

I would say France is the odds on favorite, but I'm hoping for an English miracle.
Haven't worn my St George's cross jersey in a while

6 hours ago, MigL said:

Brazil has failed to impress during the last decade, they may be losing their magic.

Brazil have been playing some fantastic stuff since Tite took over. But a lot will depend on the fitness of Neymar.

Germany have the strength in depth to leave out Mane - one of the best players in the Premier League this season. Mental.

Can't see England progressing much beyond the first knock out round - played some decent football against mediocre opposition, but this team hasn't been tested by strong opponents. The England vs Belgium match should be fun - two underperformers, something will have to give.

1 hour ago, Prometheus said:

Whoa. Spain have sacked their manager 2 days before the kick-off.

Reading BBC article, it seems that Spain feels that his recent behaviour is out-of-order enough to justify potentially messing their world cup chances. They obviously see worse consequences if they ignored it

21 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I'm obligated to say England, but an outside chance is Belgium...

Lol England :D

I think France may have the technically best squad in the whole tournament. My candidates are France, Germany, Brazil or Spain. So nothing unusual at all. But if I had to put money on anyone, I would put it on France.

I just hope Croatia are able to get out of the group stage. With the kind of players we have, we should go far but it never works out that way.

5 minutes ago, Lord Antares said:
21 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I'm obligated to say England, but an outside chance is Belgium...

Lol England :D

Come on bruv, you is dissin me peeps, I can't av it... you get me?

Edit, Sorry forgot to:mad: grrrrrr.

Edited by dimreepr

4 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Reading BBC article, it seems that Spain feels that his recent behaviour is out-of-order enough to justify potentially messing their world cup chances. They obviously see worse consequences if they ignored it

You'd have thought Real Madrid would have talked to the Spanish FA about how and when to announce this: it's bad news for both of them. 

1 minute ago, Prometheus said:

You'd have thought Real Madrid would have talked to the Spanish FA about how and when to announce this: it's bad news for both of them. 

Yes, Real have been quite short-sighted. All they've done this way is given an impression of underhand dealings

First round of games gone and Russia still with the biggest win.

I missed the Spain vs Portugal match - sounds like the game of the tournament so far. The England vs Tunisia game is the best i've caught so far - not often i can say that.

I watched Mexico beat Germany 1-0.   That goal by Lozano was a great shot!!  The news reported a minor earthquake which was caused by Mexicans jumping up and down after the game ended!:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfzWXPZAak0

Does anyone bring their soccer ball to the park to kick it bouncing off a wall?  That's what I do.  A half hour of kicking penalty kicks, then a half hour shooting baskets, then an hour in the swimming pool!

Edited by Airbrush

So who's going to win the world cup?

Well its not going to be Poland after what I saw us play with Senegal. 90 minutes of passing the ball backwords instead of attacking forward. Lewandowski couldn’t play anything with the team playing so cautiously. 

One of my friends had an accurate comment: „Put the watches in drawers, the Porsche’s in garages, get on the field and start practising” 

Edited by koti