Idea for jet engines, who to contact?

StefanLazic

33 minutes ago, Frank said:

Not hiring people like you might be why I've never hear of them...  ;)

Being an inventor isn't easy, torn between inventing and making a "standard" living.  If you're lucky enough to make your first venture pay off, then it can fund the next ones, but that first one, like any invention, has a low chance of commercial success.  On the other hand, Switzerland is a great place to live so you can keep working at it.  I'm not in a position to advise you, but I'm trying networking to find partners and pursuing relatively cheap ideas to kickstart this process, then maybe someday fund the big/expensive ones.

I suppose also, that distance isn't as much of a factor given the internet, and 3d-printing makes manufacturing capability (maybe not for a jet engine) less expensive.  Exciting times.

I think that the germans made hundreds of prototypes before making a successful jet engine. I have to risk about 1 year of savings to build a prototype that may or may not work... I guess that I'd have to build at least 10 prototypes before having a viable commercial engine, thus I believe that a jet engine is out of my reach. And unfortunately in switzerland it's impossible to get financial help to build a prototype of an invention (from the govt). Maybe I should try a kickstarter.com project...

Edited by StefanLazic

I just found out that the germans built a counter-rotating turbofan engine in 1943... the Daimler-Benz DB 007.

With the inside shaft rotating at 12k rpm, and the drum which was also holding the bypass fan blades rotating at 6k rpm.

Interesting thing to note is that some of the bypass air was used to cool the turbine, and that counter-rotation was achieved with a gearbox.

Daimler-Benz DB 007.png

Edited by StefanLazic

On 6/24/2018 at 2:05 AM, StefanLazic said:

I just found out that the germans built a counter-rotating turbofan engine in 1943... the Daimler-Benz DB 007.

With the inside shaft rotating at 12k rpm, and the drum which was also holding the bypass fan blades rotating at 6k rpm.

Interesting thing to note is that some of the bypass air was used to cool the turbine, and that counter-rotation was achieved with a gearbox.

Cool!  Patent number?

On 19/6/2018 at 11:12 PM, StefanLazic said:

I think that the germans made hundreds of prototypes before making a successful jet engine. I have to risk about 1 year of savings to build a prototype that may or may not work... I guess that I'd have to build at least 10 prototypes before having a viable commercial engine, thus I believe that a jet engine is out of my reach. And unfortunately in switzerland it's impossible to get financial help to build a prototype of an invention (from the govt). Maybe I should try a kickstarter.com project...

You don't have to make a fully functional prototype; you have to build a proof of concept. With present 3D printing technology, you can probably make one for less then 1000€ , which shouldn't be a problem for an automation engineer.

3 hours ago, Bender said:

You don't have to make a fully functional prototype; you have to build a proof of concept. With present 3D printing technology, you can probably make one for less then 1000€ , which shouldn't be a problem for an automation engineer.

The germans built a functional one in 1943

5 hours ago, StefanLazic said:

1) I was not planning of making one

2) I did not know about the german prototype before starting this thread

Apply whatever I said to any generic invention you want to make. You will need some proof of concept before you start a potentially successful kickstarter. Luckily it was never cheaper or easier to make one.