USA 'strong historical ties with Germany' - seriously?

DrP

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/06/05/heather-nauert-state-department-d-day-us-germany-relationship-sot.cnn

This woman  - one of Trump's aides, quotes the D-Day landings as an event that cements the close relationship between Germany and the USA.  What? Is it just me or is this total delusion...  the BEST example she could think of (after having days to prepare her speech and do research) for USA / Germany relations in the past 100 years is to put forward D-Day? 

Don't get me wrong - the USA coming into to the war at the end of it to help finish it off was probably very much appreciated (if a few years late) - but to quote it as an example of your close friendly ties with Germany?...    Am I being thick or is she?

Yea - me and my neighbour get on just fine  - he tried to kill my friend so I broke down his door, burnt his house down and beat the heck out of him  - we go back a long way - we've always been great mates!   lol.

3 hours ago, Strange said:

I can't even begin to imagine what Germans make of this...

Well, the symbolism of D-Day in Europe has transformed over the years to a symbol of freedom and reconciliation (at least in continental Europe). That being said, the Trump administration has been straining its relationship with Germany quite a bit. This is unprecedented, considering how strong Merkel's transatlantic ties had been (even to her detriment). Considering the spat with the US ambassador to Germany I would think that it will simply put into the "Trump is an idiot" folder (Germans love categorizing). Considering the situation, the specific example was pretty much an example of blundering along trying to conduct diplomacy with US-blinders firmly attached.