Handling an organic solvent in a safe way

pgiorgos

Hello again guys.

I have on more question about "work safe" cause for me and i think for everyone is a very important issue in a chem lab and sometimes there is no the right education on this. My question is very specific and its about handling acetonitrile (a volatile organic solvent). I perform preparative Hplc cause i want to isolate a some fractions and my mobile phases are water and acetonitrile. The prep hplc is not in an absorber. Its placed in a big lab room. I collect my fractions in conical flasks. I wear glasses, apron and gloves as they have consulted me. I dont wear a mask and i am thinking. Is ACN very toxic to human? Sometimes i feel a strange acidic odor in my nostrils but i dont know if this is from ACN. Is it a very toxic organic solvent like DCM or i dont have to worry a lot? I hope that i will survive :P

1) please read the MSDS sheets. In fact, do it for every chemical you are encountering. 2) ACN has a very characteristic smell that is not acidic in any form. 3) masks, other than full-blown chemical respirator will not protect from solvents. 4) check the material of your gloves for the chemicals you are using. 5) I have the feeling that at your place the chemical safety training is inadequate, do you have a safety officer or at least a manual somewhere?

7 minutes ago, CharonY said:

1) please read the MSDS sheets. In fact, do it for every chemical you are encountering. 2) ACN has a very characteristic smell that is not acidic in any form. 3) masks, other than full-blown chemical respirator will not protect from solvents. 4) check the material of your gloves for the chemicals you are using. 5) I have the feeling that at your place the chemical safety training is inadequate, do you have a safety officer or at least a manual somewhere?

as you said i asked if i have to wear a mask and they told me that mask doesnt do anything I think that they refer to the mask with the filtrate in front not the full blown). Do you know why a simple mask like this doesnt protect you? I read msds and i ask but some people they are so harry they dont give the caution it needs, but for me its very important to know so i search for every substance. Thank for your quick response.

Edited by pgiorgos

Most masks only protect against particulates an you need specific  ones for organic vapors. That being said, you'd first need to figure out your exposure levels (esp considering it sounds like simple prep HPLC). The MSDS sheets should give you hints about ACN safety (I do not want to make any recommendation online as I do not know your procedures and your risk of personal exposure). 

4 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Most masks only protect against particulates an you need specific  ones for organic vapors. That being said, you'd first need to figure out your exposure levels (esp considering it sounds like simple prep HPLC). The MSDS sheets should give you hints about ACN safety (I do not want to make any recommendation online as I do not know your procedures and your risk of personal exposure). 

Of course i just want to learn more and more but for the final decision i always ask my supervisor in the lab and i personally read msds which is something that i think everybody should do. The quantities are not big enough but because my conical flasks are uncovered while i collect my fractions thats why i am a bit anxious from the vapor of ACN during the experiment. 

5 minutes ago, CharonY said:

The release from the hplc should be minimal and for evaporation usually you have a trap. For micro-prep good ventilation is often enough.

No i say when i have to collect my fractions in the flasks. I have 2 flasks and i collect inside my peaks( 100% ACN) and the flasks they are uncovered while i collect the quantity and finish my experiment so i am worried about these vapors but usually every flask gets 200-300 ml and then i evaporate my solvent in a rota evaporator and as you said there is a trap. I will ask if i have to cover the flasks till its time to collect but maybe i am thinking too much :P

You can check the evaporation rate by weighing your bottles just after collection and before evaporation and make a rough estimate from there. Unless you store them for a prolonged time and/or are in a very badly ventilated area it is rarely an issue.

2 minutes ago, CharonY said:

You can check the evaporation rate by weighing your bottles just after collection and before evaporation and make a rough estimate from there. Unless you store them for a prolonged time and/or are in a very badly ventilated area it is rarely an issue.

The truth is that the methanol i am goint to use next week is going to take place in a hood as my supervisir told me. Maybe the ACN in this big room and with such quantities in the flasks for some hours its not a big deal