Resting Metabolic Rate

Carl Fredrik Ahl

Hi,

I know that different people have different resting metabolic rate. What I wonder is why a big bodybuilder need more glucose than a skinny guy if they perform the same work while resting. I would understand that the bodybuilder would need more glucose if he is excercising because he has bigger muscle that consumes it, but if they both are resting, why doesn't they need the same amount? And why does the bodybuilder's muscle burn more when he rest?

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

Hi,

I know that different people have different resting metabolic rate. What I wonder is why a big bodybuilder need more glucose than a skinny guy if they perform the same work while resting. I would understand that the bodybuilder would need more glucose if he is excercising because he has bigger muscle that consumes it, but if they both are resting, why doesn't they need the same amount? And why does the bodybuilder's muscle burn more when he rest?

Each cell needs fuel for basic metabolic maintenance, so, more  cells = more fuel.

Edited by StringJunky

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

Why is this? Can you explain what you mean with metabolic maintenance plz?

The  minimum rate to keep a cell functioning. A 250Kg bodybuilder is going to have a higher demand, even when resting, than someone  smaller simply because he's got more cells to keep alive even without exercising.

Edited by StringJunky

28 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

The  minimum rate to keep a cell functioning. A 250Kg bodybuilder is going to have a higher demand, even when resting, than someone  smaller simply because he's got more cells to keep alive even without exercising.

Oh, I understand, so even if the cells don't perform work they need glucose to keep being alive.

On 07/06/2018 at 1:51 PM, StringJunky said:

Thx for the answer! Now I wonder how come the cells need glucose to stay alive? I thought they only needed it to create ATP to be able to contract.

On 07/06/2018 at 2:33 PM, StringJunky said:

Yes. You might find something useful in this Wiki article about basal metabolic rate in general: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

Thx, do you need why each cell need glucose to stay alive? I thought they only needed it to create ATP to be able to contract.

44 minutes ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

Thx for the answer! Now I wonder how come the cells need glucose to stay alive? I thought they only needed it to create ATP to be able to contract.

Thx, do you need why each cell need glucose to stay alive? I thought they only needed it to create ATP to be able to contract.

They need energy to reproduce, for one example. I'm sure there are others.

44 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Proteins are constantly breaking down and cells need to produce more of them at a more or less constant rate. Proteins aren't particularly stable, they denaturate at a rate depending on temperature, and the body temperature of mamals is at a balance to ensure constant readiness for action and low protein denaturaration rate. Muscles aren't action ready beneath a certain temperature.

And, of course, they also need energy to reproduce. I don't know which takes up more energy of the two. But protein recycling is a non-negligible aspect of metabolic upkeep.

Proteins can be processed for energy, as can other energy-rich substances. Pretty much any intermediary product of the celular respiration chain https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration like acetic and citric acid can be directly be processed for ATP recovery. 

Edited by YaDinghus

On 09/06/2018 at 8:53 AM, YaDinghus said:

Proteins are constantly breaking down and cells need to produce more of them at a more or less constant rate. Proteins aren't particularly stable, they denaturate at a rate depending on temperature, and the body temperature of mamals is at a balance to ensure constant readiness for action and low protein denaturaration rate. Muscles aren't action ready beneath a certain temperature.

And, of course, they also need energy to reproduce. I don't know which takes up more energy of the two. But protein recycling is a non-negligible aspect of metabolic upkeep.

Proteins can be processed for energy, as can other energy-rich substances. Pretty much any intermediary product of the celular respiration chain https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration like acetic and citric acid can be directly be processed for ATP recovery. 

Thx for the answer. You said that glucose in the muscle is needed for reproducing protein, does this mean that the more glucose is in the muscle, more protein will be found and muscle will build faster and more?

On 09/06/2018 at 8:10 AM, StringJunky said:

So with out energy the muscles can't increase in size and more muscle cells can't be created? Does this mean that the more glucose stored in the muscles, the faster muscle will build and they will build bigger?

19 hours ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

Thx for the answer. You said that glucose in the muscle is needed for reproducing protein, does this mean that the more glucose is in the muscle, more protein will be found and muscle will build faster and more?

If you take up more energy than needed, you're body will store it in a more efficient manner, i.e. fat. Your muscles and liver have a certain glycogen storage limit. Glucose is necessary for the human body, but it is also toxic in excess (diabetics have a range of problems stemming from too much blood glucose) which is one reason for our body to transform it for storage.

That being said, super bodybuilders often also inject insulin to stimulate muscle growth. They also eat up to 9 full meals a day (~1500 kcal each). Their muscles are larger than practical for any human to have, and their diet is necessary to sustain their muscles, but it carries significant health risks. I don't know exactly how insulin stimulates muscle growth, I just have it on 'good authority' from my gym trainers that they do it and that it works. It might also just be necessary to get the body to accept this insane amount of calories in the first place.