Star Trek vs Star Wars

Prometheus

Which is the better franchise  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better franchise

• Star Trek
    • Star Wars

1 minute ago, swansont said:

Are they considered canon? I've never watched any of the episodes myself.

I don't know myself. My impression is that there is a generational gap here: my nieces and nephews know Star Wars more through some cartoon series and the Disney films more than the originals. Disney seem to be working hard to make them canon. There must be a Star Wars nerd around here to comment...

9 minutes ago, swansont said:

Star Trek has 14 films (though some of them were reboots). TOS had 79 episodes plus 2 pilots. TNG, DSN and Voyager all ran >170 episodes. An animated season, Enterprise and Discovery add more than 120 more TV hours. About 380 TV hours, so multiply by 0.75 to remove commercials and we end up with 285. A film is ~3 hours. Star Trek TV is equivalent to 95 movies.

Yes, Star Trek has had plenty of time to tell a story. I wasn't saying Star Wars and Star Trek have had equal in onscreen time but rather that Star Wars has had ample time to resolve their story issues. More time than most film franchises get. 

I do agree that Star Wars and Star Trek are not ideal franchises compare. Not because Star Trek had a TV show but because so few of the films are direct sequels to each other. Star Trek as a franchise is more akin to the Bond franchise. For the most part each film introduces new antagonists and environmental challenges for the heroes. Star Wars is more like the Hobbit & LOTR where a uniting narrative runs through all the films. 

5 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

I don't know myself. My impression is that there is a generational gap here: my nieces and nephews know Star Wars more through some cartoon series and the Disney films more than the originals. Disney seem to be working hard to make them canon. There must be a Star Wars nerd around here to comment...

It is confusing. The prequels, Episode 1-3, are definitely canon yet there are things from them Kathleen Kennedy (Disney rep who oversees Star Wars) has said will not be in any of the new films. For Example midi-chlorians are out. 

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Are they considered canon? I've never watched any of the episodes myself.

I think Disney cut a whole load (if not the entirety) of the expanded universe.

The only series I watched was the Genndy Tartakovsky animated series which was pretty good (I say series, each episode was only a few minutes long so a series is about a movie in length).

4 hours ago, YaDinghus said:

On the plus side for Star Wars, there are some really good SW games for PC and consoles. I'm only aware of one Star Trek game. Haven't tried it out so I can't say anything about its quality

That's true, Star Wars, has much better computer games. In terms of tabletop games i'd say they're about even, though there are just more Star Wars games.

21 hours ago, Prometheus said:

That's true, Star Wars, has much better computer games. In terms of tabletop games i'd say they're about even, though there are just more Star Wars games.

Afaik both p&p rpgs use the d20 system derived from dnd 3.5

35 minutes ago, YaDinghus said:

Afaik both p&p rpgs use the d20 system derived from dnd 3.5

The newest Star Wars game (Edge of The Empire) uses custom d6, d8 and d12s. It's a good system in that it feels like star wars: storm troopers never hit anyone. Not played as a Jedi: the GM didn't like my idea of a Hutt Jedi. I never played the older system.

The new Star Trek system looks very good but i haven't played it yet. I hope it's not derived from DnD 3.5: too cumbersome.

2 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

The newest Star Wars game (Edge of The Empire) uses custom d6, d8 and d12s. It's a good system in that it feels like star wars: storm troopers never hit anyone. Not played as a Jedi: the GM didn't like my idea of a Hutt Jedi. I never played the older system.

The new Star Trek system looks very good but i haven't played it yet. I hope it's not derived from DnD 3.5: too cumbersome.

I like my players in real danger, so I'd probably modify the ST's rolls. My brother's characters are always the first to die un battle because he runs headlong into danger trusting that the GM won't let him die. Jokes on him...

Thanks for the topic "Star Trek Vs Star Wars"! :) 

I was thinking of posting the EXACT same subject title years ago, but quit when I got tangled up when I tried to write it out.  By far...... Star TREK is vastly superior to Star WARS.  I remember when the first Star Trek episode aired in 1966, just after the advent of COLOR TV.  I LOVED IT until the bitter end!!   We had great hopes for the series "Lost In Space", but it turned out to be a dumb series about Dr. Smith getting into trouble, needing to be rescued in nearly every episode.

Star Trek was about space exploration, real science "....to go where no one has ever gone before!"  Star Wars has nothing to do with space exploration or real science.  Star Wars is a dumb series about fighting wars in space forever using the stupidest weapon ever imagined, the Light Sabre.  Using the word "Wars" in the title is lame as hell!  How about the title "War In Space Forever"?  Like Carl Sagan pointed out real "Star Wars" is unlikely.  When the first Star Wars movie came out in 1977.  I went to see it by myself and had become so disappointed by the time those 2 robots landed on the sand planet, and their stupid conversation, made me so bored that I walked out of the theater. <_<

Ok..... Star Trek is not perfect, the idea of a transporter seems beyond impossible.

Edited by Airbrush

14 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Thanks for the topic "Star Trek Vs Star Wars"! :) 

I was thinking of posting the EXACT same subject title years ago, but quit when I got tangled up when I tried to write it out.  By far...... Star TREK is vastly superior to Star WARS.  I remember when the first Star Trek episode aired in 1966, just after the advent of COLOR TV.  I LOVED IT!!   We had great hopes for the series "Lost In Space", but it turned out to be a dumb series about Dr. Smith getting into trouble, needing to be rescued in nearly every episode.

Star Trek was about exploration, real science, Star Wars has nothing to do with exploration or real science.  Star Wars is a dumb series about fighting wars in space forever using the stupidest weapon ever imagined, the Light Sabre.  Using the word "Wars" in the title is lame as hell!  How about the title "War In Space Forever"?  Like Carl Sagan pointed out real "Star Wars" is unlikely.  When the first Star Wars movie came out in 1977.  I went to see it by myself and had become so disappointed by the time those 2 robots landed on the sand planet, their stupid conversation made me so bored that I walked out of the theater. <_<

Ok..... Star Trek is not perfect, the idea of a transporter seems beyond impossible.

I could not have said it better...Star Trek at least tries to remain scientific. Star Wars while visually entertaining did not concern itself with science. I also have every Star Trek film ever made on dvd. My favourite? The original movie and the V'GER probe rediscovery, followed by "The Year we made contact" and the discovery of warp drive by Zefram Chocrane.

Those two franchises are in my mind entirely different markets. Star Trek combines world building with societal comments. Though the newer movies try to get into action (which I do not like that much). 

Star Wars has always been about swashbuckling and action. Essentially they are Samurai movies in space (with some borrowed themes from Kurosawa). 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, beecee said:

Star Trek at least tries to remain scientific. Star Wars while visually entertaining did not concern itself with science. I also have every Star Trek film ever made on dvd. My favourite? The original movie and the V'GER probe rediscovery, followed by "The Year we made contact" and the discovery of warp drive by Zefram Chocrane.

I agree that the first motion picture with V-ger was great!  I'm not familiar with "The Year we made contact".  Is that a recent motion picture?

Here is what's next with Star Trek, a film directed by Quentin Tarantino! 

"In December 2017, Deadline Hollywood reported that Quentin Tarantino is currently working on the next Star Trek theatrical installment with Abrams, with the intention being that the former will direct the film.[49]Mark L. Smith, Lindsey Beer, Megan Amram and Drew Pearce took part in the writers room before Paramount finalized a deal with Smith to write the script.[50]

In April 2018, it was announced that two new Star Trek films are in development at Paramount.[51] Later that month, it was announced that S. J. Clarkson will direct the second Star Trek film in development, and that the film will enter production before Tarantino's film. J. D. Payne and Patrick McKay will co-write the screenplay, while Abrams and Lindsey Weber will co-produce the project."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(film_series)

2 hours ago, Airbrush said:

I agree that the first motion picture with V-ger was great!  I'm not familiar with "The Year we made contact".  Is that a recent motion picture?

Here is what's next with Star Trek, a film directed by Quentin Tarantino! 

"In December 2017, Deadline Hollywood reported that Quentin Tarantino is currently working on the next Star Trek theatrical installment with Abrams, with the intention being that the former will direct the film.[49]Mark L. Smith, Lindsey Beer, Megan Amram and Drew Pearce took part in the writers room before Paramount finalized a deal with Smith to write the script.[50]

In April 2018, it was announced that two new Star Trek films are in development at Paramount.[51] Later that month, it was announced that S. J. Clarkson will direct the second Star Trek film in development, and that the film will enter production before Tarantino's film. J. D. Payne and Patrick McKay will co-write the screenplay, while Abrams and Lindsey Weber will co-produce the project."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(film_series)

My big fat mistake!!!! Apologies: :P It was actually part of the  "The Next Generation compilations" with Patrick Steward as Capt John Luc Picard....The second edition entitled "First Contact"

They went...

Star Trek: The motion picture [the V'GER probe ]        The Wrath of Khan:        The Search for Spock:          The Voyage Home:          The Final Frontier:                       The Undiscovered Country:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Star Trek: Generations:             First Contact          Nemesis      Insurrection                 Evolutions:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Edited by beecee

I really liked the movie where they transported a hump back whale into the future.

There is the most recent Star Trek series "Discovery" with the star is Sasha from the Walking Dead!  It's worth your while, I enjoyed it.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/

The thing I don't like about the Discovery series is the fact it is all about WAR with the Klingons.  I prefer the exploration and discovery kind of plots.