Do i have HCL in my vial?

pgiorgos

Hello guys. I want to ask something relative to HCL. I perfomed a liquid liquid extraction and i used 0,1 M hydrocloric acid for my experiment and then i performed neutralisation with NaOH but the final extract was a bit acidic (that what i was expected cause i used a lot of HCL). After this i collected my acidic extract (in solvent ether ) and i evaporated in rota evaporator to take my sample in "dust". Then i put my vial in vaccuum to get rid of any moistyre. My question is: Is it possible for HCL to "survive in a vial without moisture at room temperature? It will lost as a gas or it will remain inside (a small quantity). I felt like there was an acidic odor from this vial when i tried to weight a quantity from my sample. Is it possible to have concentrated HCL inside after the evaporation of solvent or it will get lost in the air as a steam? 

11 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

It is very, very unlikely that you have anything form the acid work up left.

THank you my friend for the answer. You say this cause there is no moisture in the sample? HCl without water lose his effectiveness?

11 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

It rather depends on what product you extracted.

yeah but it will get more concentrated as the moisture starts to decreace? It will be like salt and water (salt gets more concentrated when water evaporates)? I know that hcl acts in a different way when we dont have water but i am not sure. My sample its a bit yellow. at the beginning it was a white powder so maybe a color reaction with hcl took place but i dont know if i have a lot of hcl or its just the color of the reaction that left behind.

Edited by pgiorgos