iLuv2Fly

Clouds changing color inside rainbow arch

Took these pics yesterday evening and was wondering what causes the clouds color to change inside the rainbow arch. I don't recall seeing this before and search the web but no luck. I'd love to hear a scientific explanation :)

IMG_20180604_205403.jpg

IMG_20180604_205259.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2018 at 2:19 PM, iLuv2Fly said:

Took these pics yesterday evening and was wondering what causes the clouds color to change inside the rainbow arch. I don't recall seeing this before and search the web but no luck.

The inside of a rainbow is always lighter than the outside. But these pictures were made when the sun was low above the horizon, so it was shining red. Therefore also the rainbow itself is mainly red. See this picture, that was obviously made when the sun was still higher above the horizon:

320px-Regenbogen_%C3%BCber_dem_Lipno-Sta

I just looked it up: the raindrops reflect both from the backside as from the frontside. The light that reflects from the backside of the raindrops makes the rainbow itself,  the light that reflects from the frontside are just reflected, and therefore has the same colour as the incoming light, mainly red in your case.

See here.

Edited by Eise

Posted (edited)
On 5.06.2018 at 2:19 PM, iLuv2Fly said:

Took these pics yesterday evening and was wondering what causes the clouds color to change inside the rainbow arch. I don't recall seeing this before and search the web but no luck. I'd love to hear a scientific explanation :)

I will add to Eise’s post that the red color in your pictures is caused by the evening sun warm color temperature (you will have the same edffect just after the sunrise as well) The sunset/sunrise color temperature is about 2000K which is very a pleasant warm color. The „color temperature” concept comes from objects heated up and glowing - emitting a certain color of light depending on the temperature, like a steel rod will glow when heated different colors depending on the temperature. Heres a list of common sunlight temperetures depending on the angle at which the sunlight hits the earth at different times of the day:

F5DAC442-2513-430C-986A-CDC3E31EFF06.gif

Source:

https://www.eizo.com/library/basics/color_temperature_on_an_LCD_monitor/

Edited by koti