Muscle Fiber Size or Muscle Fiber Number

Hi,

I know that when you stress your muscles they get small cracks in them that need to be fixed. I know that the protein filaments can increase in the muscle fibers which making them larger, or new muscle fibers can be created with stem cells (sattelite cells). What I wonder is what determines which of these 2 things happens.

Hi,

I know that when you stress your muscles they get small cracks in them that need to be fixed. I know that the protein filaments can increase in the muscle fibers which making them larger, or new muscle fibers can be created with stem cells (sattelite cells). What I wonder is what determines which of these 2 things happens.

Muscle increase their energy storage (sugar/glycogen) and or tissue via repair. What determines which is the type of stress.

In the bodybuilding and fitness community and even in some academic books skeletal muscle hypertrophy is described as being in one of two types: Sarcoplasmic or myofibrillar.[qualify evidence] According to this hypothesis, during sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, the volume of sarcoplasmic fluid in the muscle cell increases with no accompanying increase in muscular strength, whereas during myofibrillar hypertrophy, actin and myosin contractile proteins increase in number and add to muscular strength as well as a small increase in the size of the muscle. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is greater in the muscles of bodybuilders because studies suggest sarcoplasmic hypertrophy shows a greater increase in muscle size while myofibrillar hypertrophy proves to increase overall muscular strength making it more dominant in Olympic weightlifters.[27]These two forms of adaptations rarely occur completely independently of one another; one can experience a large increase in fluid with a slight increase in proteins, a large increase in proteins with a small increase in fluid, or a relatively balanced combination of the two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy

On 30/05/2018 at 12:20 PM, YaDinghus said:

Come back if this (Wikipedia link) doesn't answer your question

It's so much to read, can you make a little summary and explain that when you train like this the glycogen storage in the muscle gets bigger and when you train like this, the protein filament in the muscle get bigger and when you train like this, more muscle cells grows plz?

It's many hard words that I don't understand. It's to complex according to me.

Edited by Carl Fredrik Ahl