Distinguishing between HSS and Tungsten Carbide

StringJunky

20 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I'm currently looking into and buying machining burrs and cutters. It seems some sellers pass off HSS as TC. Do TC cutting/grinding tools have a particular colour or texture to them?

I use carbide burrs quite frequently and the colour is really not that far off some of the shinier grey HSS drill bits I've used. The HSS burrs I've used are darker but this may not help as there was no attempt to pass them off as carbide.  The Carbide burrs are significantly harder than HSS, last much longer, though are generally more brittle.

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I use carbide burrs quite frequently and the colour is really not that far off some of the shinier grey HSS drill bits I've used. The HSS burrs I've used are darker but this may not help as there was no attempt to pass them off as carbide.  The Carbide burrs are significantly harder than HSS, last much longer, though are generally more brittle.

Cheers.  I know carbide is harder and more expensive. I've ordered from two different sources. I suppose i'll find out from using them.

17 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

WC isn't magnetic. I'm fairly sure HSS is.

Yes, cheers, the pure stuff isn't. I shall try that when they come. Also I've found out steel sparks like a sparkler on a grinding wheel whereas WC is  more solid, continuous and orange. it's twice as heavy as well.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:32 PM, StringJunky said:

Cheers.  I know carbide is harder and more expensive. I've ordered from two different sources. I suppose i'll find out from using them.

I knew you knew that. Just thinking through my recognition of the two.

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I knew you knew that. Just thinking through my recognition of the two.

Right. The ones I've got seem to be WC. The manufacturer  Drillpro (Chinese) says you can work on materials up to 70RC. I got these:

1506339336_1.jpg.html

http://www.drillpro.company/Drillpro-5x-Tungsten-Carbide-Rotary-Drill-Bit-Point-Burr-Grinder-Cutter-12mmx6mm-p-89.html

51 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Right. The ones I've got seem to be WC. The manufacturer  Drillpro (Chinese) says you can work on materials up to 70RC. I got these:

1506339336_1.jpg.html

http://www.drillpro.company/Drillpro-5x-Tungsten-Carbide-Rotary-Drill-Bit-Point-Burr-Grinder-Cutter-12mmx6mm-p-89.html

That's basically what I use , especially the 3 to the right and another cylinder with a hemispherical tip, when grinding fibreglass where a grinder won't  readily reach, in a die grinder or drill. The double cut makes it more stable to work. They can be pricey though better in sets.

14 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

That's basically what I use , especially the 3 to the right and another cylinder with a hemispherical tip, when grinding fibreglass where a grinder won't  readily reach, in a die grinder or drill. The double cut makes it more stable to work.

I'm getting this 8 piece next for the extra bits: https://www.banggood.com/8pcs-14-Inch-Shank-Carbide-Burr-Set-Rotary-Cutter-Files-CNC-Engraving-Tool-p-1057711.html?stayold=1&cur_warehouse=CN

I've got some single cut ones coming as well. What are they best suited for?

They can be pricey though better in sets.

UK made ones are $20-$60 dollars each and don't seem to come in sets.

What's the most durable stone ones? Do you know what pink ones are? I got them with the die grinder.

Edited by StringJunky

11 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I'm getting this 8 piece next for the extra bits: https://www.banggood.com/8pcs-14-Inch-Shank-Carbide-Burr-Set-Rotary-Cutter-Files-CNC-Engraving-Tool-p-1057711.html?stayold=1&cur_warehouse=CN

I've got some single cut ones coming as well. What are they best suited for?

UK made ones are $20-$60 dollars each and don't seem to come in sets.

What's the most durable stone ones? Do you know what pink ones are? I got them with the die grinder.

I mostly use them for surface preparation or shaping hard plastics or composites. Sometimes corrosion removal. Generally freehand on a power or pneumatic die grinder or even just a drill. I used stone ones years ago but never after discovering these. I don't know what the pink ones are. The odd time I will use an HSS one but they are not double cut and don't last long.

34 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I mostly use them for surface preparation or shaping hard plastics or composites. Sometimes corrosion removal. Generally freehand on a power or pneumatic die grinder or even just a drill. I used stone ones years ago but never after discovering these. I don't know what the pink ones are. The odd time I will use an HSS one but they are not double cut and don't last long.

I probably shan't buy any more stone ones; the WC ones give a fine enough smooth finish on wood and imagine they will on metal. I've got twisted knot wire brushes for rust... brutal they are.

4 hours ago, Bender said:

How can they make tungsten carbide that cheap? I wonder about the quality. 

It's fabulous. The machining is super of this manufacturer. I think Chinese labour costs are about fifth of the west.  I can't attest to the longevity yet but one of many positive  reviews I read said they were "tough little buggers". 

7 hours ago, Bender said:

I may have to buy me a set too. And I hardly ever use my die grinder... 

If you've got the tool then you might as well get the accessories. If you haven't got them then you aren't likely to use it. Whatever tool I buy, I buy the bits I think i might need in anticipation. When you need something you need it right now.  Preparation, my dear Watson. :) And it's fun window shopping, learning about stuff in the process. Chinese stuff won't be cheap to us forever... they'll be in parity with us eventually, like Japan did.

Edited by StringJunky

You are preaching to a fellow tool collector, bro 

I have bits: sanding, stone grinding, polishing, cutting disks, diamond glass engraving... I just don't have WC bits ;)

Edited by Bender

12 minutes ago, Bender said:

You are preaching to a fellow tool collector, bro 

I have bits: sanding, stone grinding, polishing, cutting disks, diamond glass engraving... I just don't have WC bits ;)

Right. Cool. Yes, they are very good value and I think that they will probably make your grinding stones obsolete in that size. You can get them in 10mm diameter or 12mm and the shank is 6mm. I think they do a 3mm shank set as well for Dremels.