How much and what things can be done in Adult humans using genetic engineering ?

RocketSloth

Can we change things like our species(Example a cat to dog) , our appearance , personality , gender , age etc after we've completed our biological development 
?  
And even if we do manage to edit every cell in the body or every gene in an adult  ( for complex traits of course)  Would changing the DNA even have a major effect and give us the desirable traits we want ? 

Will it ever be possible ? Using nanotechnology combined with genetic engineering ?

Anything that requires editing every cell is not terribly realistic , IMO.

We only really understand some simple traits. Might be able to make you glow but no taking to the sky like a bird.

Right now we are looking at treating genetic disorders. Editing a smaller population of cells. Precision has vastly improved.

I'm thinking  will need some level of AI as well for anything real advanced.

14 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Anything that requires editing every cell is not terribly realistic , IMO.

We only really understand some simple traits. Might be able to make you glow but no taking to the sky like a bird.

Right now we are looking at treating genetic disorders. Editing a smaller population of cells. Precision has vastly improved.

I'm thinking  will need some level of AI as well for anything real advanced.

With that said what things will we able to do by combining CRISPR , nanotechnology and computerized artificial Intelligence

What kind of possibilities will open ?

Usually not a lot, as mushing buzzwords together does not generate new approaches per se. Rather one would need an idea what to accomplish and then map out the way toward the goal. As mentioned, large scale genetic changes in formed organisms are unrealistic. Manipulation and implantation of e.g. stem cells for certain diseases much more so, for example.

8 hours ago, CharonY said:

Usually not a lot, as mushing buzzwords together does not generate new approaches per se. Rather one would need an idea what to accomplish and then map out the way toward the goal. As mentioned, large scale genetic changes in formed organisms are unrealistic. Manipulation and implantation of e.g. stem cells for certain diseases much more so, for example.

I see, but why is it unrealistic tho ?

And are there any possibility for that to work ? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 5:43 AM, RocketSloth said:

I see, but why is it unrealistic tho ?

And are there any possibility for that to work ? 

I once read something about when an old wise scientist sas somethjng is possible, they're usually right, and that when they say jt's impossible they're mostly wrong.

That being said, we know now more than we did last year, but that's not much. Before we think about radically changing our body plans, we might just want to work on regeneration. We know it should be possible to regrow a severed limb because some animals can do so as adults, but we don't even know how to pull that off in any adult mammal,let alone a human. The challenge may also not be purely genetic