Have a look on tesla's semi

avahill009

11 minutes ago, Externet said:

And I wish to understand English ... What is semi ?   A partial or half something truck ?  Who comes up with those words ?

Yes - partial or half something....    it also gets used to mean a partial erection, thus my comment about not wanting to see Tesla's. ;-)

3 hours ago, Externet said:

And I wish to understand English ... What is semi ?   A partial or half something truck ?  Who comes up with those words ?

In Phi's picture, the front end is the tractor, and the back end is the trailer. A tractor-trailer.

This type of trailer has no front wheels and is thus only a 'partial' or 'semi' trailer. It must be pulled by a tractor which essentially provides the front wheels for the trailer.  Because it is a semi-trailer, people started calling that type of tractor a semi-truck.

When people say 'semi' they may be referring to the tractor, the trailer, or the combination of both.

14 minutes ago, iNow said:

Aka: Semi

I'd always heard they called them that because of the coupling (settle DOWN, DrP!). The truck breaks apart, and the tractor can operate separately from the trailer. Semi-detached, maybe?

edit: x-posted with zapatos, and I think his description of the semi-trailer (not having all the wheels necessary to operate independently) is the most likely source of the term "semi" for big-rig trucks.

Edited by Phi for All

On another note, while I support and applaud the efforts here to move away from petroleum powered trucking, I only semi-care about the origin of the term... aka: etymology

As of 3 weeks ago:

http://www.businessinsider.com/companies-that-ordered-tesla-semi-2017-12

These are the companies who have placed orders for the Tesla Semi so far:

• Walmart: One of the first major companies to reserve the trucks, the retailer has made aggressive investments in technology in recent years as part of its effort to compete with Amazon.
  • Pepsi: Pepsi previously had the largest Semi order, reserving 100 trucks in December.
  • Anheuser-Busch: The brewer announced it ordered 40 Semis in December.
  • FedEx: The transportation service announced that it reserved 20 Semis in March.
  • Sysco: The food distributor has reserved 50 Semis.
  • UPS: The delivery company placed the largest Semi order to date, reserving 125 trucks in December.
  • DHL: The transportation and logistics company has reserved 10 Semis to add to its fleet.
  • Meijer: Based in Michigan, the grocery chain has ordered four of the electric trucks.
  • Ryder: The transportation company reserved an unspecified number of Semis in November.
  • J.B. Hunt: The trucking company is set to purchase "multiple" Semis, but hasn't revealed the exact number.
  • Asko: The Norwegian food distribution company has ordered 10 Semis.
  • Posten Norge: The Norwegian postal service ordered an unspecified number of Semis.
  • Flexport: Ryan Peterson, the freight company's CEO, announced the company has ordered one Semi.
  • JK Moving: The independent moving company has reserved four Semis.
  • Loblaw: After ordering 25 Semis, the Canadian supermarket chain announced plans to make its trucking fleet 100% electric by 2030.
  • Fercam: Based in Italy, the trucking company has reserved a single Semi.
  • Girteka Logistics: Not to be outdone by Fercam, the European transportation company also announced its plans to invest in one of Tesla's electric trucks.
  • Fortigo Freight Services: The Canadian logistics company reserved one Semi.
  • Best Transportation: The shipping company also ordered one Semi.
  • Mecca & Son Trucking: According to Jalopnik, this trucking company has reserved one Semi.
  • TCI Transportation: The truck rental and leasing company has reserved 50 Semis.
  • City Furniture: The furniture retailer has reserved five Semis.

The stats are pretty impressive. If it performs as promised, diesel trucks will disappear as fast as Tesla manages to make these trucks.

Until our electricity network breaks down, of course.

Written English containing slang or colloquial words can be difficult.  I do not know if that was the intent.  Semi in this case means a large tractor trailer freight hauling highway truck.  Big.  Up to 40 US tons in the USA.  Up to over 50 tons in some USA States.  Like most advertisements the performance specifications may be somewhat .... expanded or stretched or expounded.

Example.  The performance stated might have been achieved under perfect conditions.  Not usual conditions.  An Example ... in stop and go very slow congested urban traffic during hot humid summertime conditions the cab air conditioning wattage requirements may exceed the traction motor wattage needs.  Other examples probably abound.  But ... a great first step.

Electric vehicles are the next generation.  Super efficient cascading electric capacitors?   Once we achieve that then probably electric hydrogen fuel cells will be next?  After that who knows.  On dedicated long haul routes electric trucks may work very well.  In stop and go city applications, probably not yet.  Perhaps a ROBO TRUCK electrically powered will be in our future?

Edited by HB of CJ
s/p w/w

3 hours ago, Bender said:

If it performs as promised, diesel trucks will disappear as fast as Tesla manages to make these trucks.

Therein lies the key variable given Tesla’s long history of production delays and missed delivery deadlines. People who preordered a Model 3 three years ago are apparently still waiting, too

3 hours ago, HB of CJ said:

Super efficient cascading electric capacitors?   Once we achieve that then probably electric hydrogen fuel cells

I’d like to see us overlay roadways and highways with ambient chargers (like used w electric toothbrushes and wireless phone chargers) that themselves get loaded via solar cells. As long as one is driving over it their system is seeing net energy gains (not charge depletions). 

Too bad we’re too dumb to put people to work via such smart and scalable Eisenhower-style infrastructure investments. 

Edited by iNow

3 hours ago, iNow said:

I’d like to see us overlay roadways and highways with ambient chargers (like used w electric toothbrushes and wireless phone chargers) that themselves get loaded via solar cells. As long as one is driving over it their system is seeing net energy gains (not charge depletions). 

Too bad we’re too dumb to put people to work via such smart and scalable Eisenhower-style infrastructure investments. 

Like this?

Sweden's new electric highway works like a scaled-up slot car track: https://newatlas.com/eroadarlanda-sweden-electric-highway/54197/

eRoadArlanda: https://eroadarlanda.com/

14 hours ago, iNow said:

Therein lies the key variable given Tesla’s long history of production delays and missed delivery deadlines. People who preordered a Model 3 three years ago are apparently still waiting, too

If only trees gave off wifi. 

27 minutes ago, iNow said:

Bingo. Until then, we'll just keep cutting them down

Too bloody right, they block my signal. Besides, I see a business opening for chic, portable oxygen cylinders when the oxygen levels get too low.

Edited by StringJunky

22 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Or HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle)

An HGV is a different classification and need not be articulated.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211948/simplified-guide-to-lorry-types-and-weights.pdf

23 hours ago, iNow said:

On another note, while I support and applaud the efforts here to move away from petroleum powered trucking, I only semi-care about the origin of the term... aka: etymology

Of course the term is made more difficult by the american pronunciation of the part word 'semi'.