How could we make our own metal paint ?

Abdan

How could we make our own metal (metal-surface) paint, at least as close as to such that in effect, and it's still feasible; in order to prevent corrodible metal from being corroded.

Edited by Abdan

There are many primers for use on steel that have anti corrosion chemicals loaded into them to stop the spread of rust under a coating.   Do you mean for steel? 'Metal' covers many materials.

Are you with a company trying to formulate a rust inhibitor type primer or do you want this for your own project? As I said - there are many rust prevention primers on the market already.  There are even water based ones that contain flash rust inhibitors that stop the initial surface flash of rust across the substrate. Many are high in zinc. Many contain phosphates that scavenge the O2 before the metal can react to it.  

What is your situation? Formulating for commercial gain or personal use? What is the substrate, steel?

Edited by DrP

1 hour ago, DrP said:

There are many primers for use on steel that have anti corrosion chemicals loaded into them to stop the spread of rust under a coating.   Do you mean for steel? 'Metal' covers many materials.

Are you with a company trying to formulate a rust inhibitor type primer or do you want this for your own project? As I said - there are many rust prevention primers on the market already.  There are even water based ones that contain flash rust inhibitors that stop the initial surface flash of rust across the substrate. Many are high in zinc. Many contain phosphates that scavenge the O2 before the metal can react to it.  

What is your situation? Formulating for commercial gain or personal use? What is the substrate, steel?

Can you attack ferrous surfaces with a liquid acidic/alkaline compound that would create a layer impervious  to water and air, like when lead or copper oxidize to a limit? Something that chemically creates a fine, dense layer.

Edited by StringJunky

17 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Can you attack ferrous surfaces with a liquid acidic/alkaline compound that would create a layer impervious  to water and air, like when lead or copper oxidize to a limit? Something that chemically creates a fine, dense layer.

I don't think so - it sounds feasible (like the oxidised layer on Al) but I would have thought we'd be doing it already if it were possible with steel. They use phosphoric acids for rust conversion I think. (maybe tannic acid too - can't remember).

14 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

What do you mean by by "metal paint "?

Quite - I assume primer for steel (as he said 'metal surface') but he'd have to clarify. He could mean a metallic finish paint, but I suspect primer.  

1 hour ago, DrP said:

I don't think so - it sounds feasible (like the oxidised layer on Al) but I would have thought we'd be doing it already if it were possible with steel. They use phosphoric acids for rust conversion I think. (maybe tannic acid too - can't remember).

Yeah, I would have though somebody would have figured it out if it were possible. 

Then just buy a primer for steel straight off the shelf. :)  If you are worried about corrosion then get one with high zinc content or a high content of zinc phosphate or aluminium tripolyphosphaste. 

What is the application? Is it somewhere warm and dry or exposed on a sea front or something? The location could effect the amount of corrosive attack it will get. Again - just read a few labels on standard primers that offer rust protection and follow their directions, you should be fine.

5 hours ago, DrP said:

Then just buy a primer for steel straight off the shelf. :)  If you are worried about corrosion then get one with high zinc content or a high content of zinc phosphate or aluminium tripolyphosphaste. 

What is the application? Is it somewhere warm and dry or exposed on a sea front or something? The location could effect the amount of corrosive attack it will get. Again - just read a few labels on standard primers that offer rust protection and follow their directions, you should be fine.

Indeed

https://www.johndesmond.com/blog/environment/the-hot-zinc-spraying-process/

6 hours ago, DrP said:

Hammerite it. Job done. :)