Help with stoicheometry

Ben04

Hello,

so I have been trying to calculate the mass of hydrochloric acid needed to produce calcium chloride from calcium carbonate.

I have a solution of 30% hydrochloric acid and a 10g of CaCO3, how much acid do I need to react with the CaCO3? And how can one convert the calculated mass of HCl needed into volume (room temperature)?

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome Ben;

Is this classwork/homework?

Part 1)

If so can you tell me the reaction equation?

Since you have used a fancy word (stoicheometry)  can you calculate the molar masses of HCl and CaCO3?

Do you know if the carbonate is monvalent, divalent or trivalent?

part 2)

Any Chemistry library or lab should have international tables where you can look up the density of hydrochloric acid at various concentrations.

You can probably google this as well.

This will be empirical, there is no general formula you can use.

Edited by studiot

Thank you for the quick response!

I'm asking this question not for anything school related, I just have a huge interest in chemistry ;)

The reaction is : CaCO₃(s) + 2HCl(aq) → CaCl₂(aq) + CO₂(g) + H₂O(l).

The Carbonate is divalent and yes, I have googled this, but the reason I'm asking this question is that I cannot figure out how to calculate the volume of 30% HCl needed...

Say the density of a 30% HCl is 1.15 g/ml

I know how to calculate the mass of HCl needed, but how do you factor in that the HCl is in a solution of x amount of water? Am I overthinking?

image.png

Edited by Ben04

Yoy said 30% HCl, but what you didn't say was what you meant by this

30% w/v or 30% w/w?

The most likely meaning is the first one.

I see that you have enough Chemistry to be able to calculate the required mass of HCl to react with 10g of carbonate.

From this can you reverse engineer 30%w/v to accomodate this figure?