Exploring Titan

Gian

a  few further queries I mentioned earlier

(1) I guess there's wind and tidal forces on Titan so maybe we can walk along the beach of one of the methane seas with methane washing up and down?

(2) If liquid methane has less than half the density of water, would it still be possible to have powered craft which could float on the surface of Titan's lakes?

(3) Could explorers go hang-gliding? Or maybe even a nanolight powered by methane?

(4) Presumably with all the methane about, power won't be a problem. When explorers get to Titan I guess temperature suits would have to be powered (unless NASA has an insulation fabric which could withstand −179 °C?)

(5) As the atmosphere is mostly nitrogen, presumably explorers would only have to take oxygen with them and have a mechanism for mixing it to make breathable air?

(6) And given that there's water on Titan, would it be possible to mechanically extract enough oxygen to add to the nitrogen to make breathable air? altho I guess it would take a helluva lot of water....

cheers

GIAN

:):)

1.  Good question.  Anyone know how big the waves can be on Titan?

2.  Certainly boats can float on liquid methane, but a propeller wouldn't get much traction.  You need another propulsion method.  How about wind sails?:)

3.  With high atmospheric density and low gravity, I would think gliding would be easier on Titan than on Earth.

4.  To burn methane you need oxygen.  Maybe better to split water ice into oxygen and hydrogen and use them as fuels.

5.  That sounds right

6.  Yes

So far only tiny waves detected:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26622586

"We think we've found the first waves outside the Earth," he told the meeting.  What we're seeing seems to be consistent with waves at just a few locations in Punga Mare [with a slope] of six degrees."

But assuming these were indeed waves, Dr Barnes calculates that a wind speed of around 0.75 m/s is required to produce ripples with the requisite slope of six degrees.

That points to the waves being just 2cm high. "Don't make your surfing vacation reservations for Titan just yet," Dr Barnes quipped...."

Edited by Airbrush

On 10/05/2018 at 10:00 PM, Airbrush said:

2.  Certainly boats can float on liquid methane, but a propeller wouldn't get much traction.  You need another propulsion method.  How about wind sails?:)

3.  With high atmospheric density and low gravity, I would think gliding would be easier on Titan than on Earth.

4.  To burn methane you need oxygen.  Maybe better to split water ice into oxygen and hydrogen and use them as fuels.

5.  That sounds right

6.  Yes

"We think we've found the first waves outside the Earth," he told the meeting.  What we're seeing seems to be consistent with waves at just a few locations in Punga Mare [with a slope] of six degrees."

But assuming these were indeed waves, Dr Barnes calculates that a wind speed of around 0.75 m/s is required to produce ripples with the requisite slope of six degrees.

That points to the waves being just 2cm high. "Don't make your surfing vacation reservations for Titan just yet," Dr Barnes quipped...."

THANKS! :):):)

• 8 months later...
On 5/10/2018 at 10:00 PM, Airbrush said:

5.  That sounds right

6.  Yes

Spoke to Prof John Zarnecki after a lecture he gave about Titan last month and he said that yes astronauts on Titan could use the nitrogen and there would be enough water ice to extract oxygen to make breathable air. He also said that there will be big waves and it will be possible to go surfing on Titan!☺

Edited by Gian