The Slick Sales Pitch of Trump

Airbrush

18 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Nothing new. Stomp your foot on the program's throat, then make fun of it and point out how feeble it is, how it can't stand on its own two feet. It works with all social programs the wealthy don't benefit from directly.

Yep, 401k's are the better alternative. Who need a guaranteed safety net when we could give our money to wall street. 

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

Consumer safety is about as general as I'm getting in this thread, mainly because it's the slick sales pitches by alligators like Trump that increase profit while making people sick or putting them in more danger. I'm so sorry you don't see that, it's one of the worst things about this administration.

Yes. Like the regulation in Texas that requires Free Lance Computer Technicians to have a private investigator license because it's not uncommon that they find illegal stuff on computers. And then that other regulation that says in order to obtain a private investigator license you need a degree in criminal justice or a three-year apprenticeship with a private investigator. Because we can't just have tech-savvy people working to fix our computers. They need law degrees.

Or the regulation that requires Bloggers to pay for a $300 license in Philadelphia. Because it's an official business once you make more than $.01.

Or the regulation in Lousiana that in order to sell caskets, you must be a licensed funeral director.

Or the regulation in Massachusetts that anyone watching children for money must brush the child's teeth after lunch.

Or the regulation that commercial fishermen are not allowed to untangle whales from their nets. They must wait for state authorities to arrive and do it for them. 

Or the regulation that you must have a license to go out of business in Milwaukee.

Or 80,000 pages more of this crap. 

Trumps removing a lot of these types of regulations, and I don't see that as one of the worth things about his administration. Because I don't believe bloggers put people in danger by not paying a $300 license. Or that fishermen untangling whales without state authorities are putting people in danger. Or that the technician who doesn't have a law degree is gonna make people sick.

Edited by NicholaiRen

6 minutes ago, NicholaiRen said:

Yes. Like the regulation in Texas that requires Free Lance Computer Technicians to have a private investigator license because it's not uncommon that they find illegal stuff on computers. And then that other regulation that says in order to obtain a private investigator license you need a degree in criminal justice or a three-year apprenticeship with a private investigator. Because we can't just have tech-savvy people working to fix our computers. They need law degrees.

Or the regulation that requires Bloggers to pay for a $300 license in Philadelphia. Because it's an official business once you make more than $.01.

Or the regulation in Lousiana that in order to sell caskets, you must be a licensed funeral director.

Or the regulation in Massachusetts that anyone watching children for money must brush the child's teeth after lunch.

Or the regulation that commercial fishermen are not allowed to untangle whales from their nets. They must wait for state authorities to arrive and do it for them. 

Or the regulation that you must have a license to go out of business in Milwaukee.

Trumps removing a lot of these types of regulations, and I don't see that as one of the worth things about his administration. Because I don't believe bloggers put people in danger by not paying a $300 license. Or that fishermen untangling whales without state authorities are putting people in danger. Or that the technician who doesn't have a law degree is gonna make people sick.

Most of what you listed appear to be state issues and not federal issues. As for the one regarding whales I would need to research the law. If there is a history of fisherman cutting the nets in a manner where by it remains attached to the whale as it swims off or a history of illegal fishing practices leading to whales getting caught in nets where by the nets were cut to hide the crime; than I might agree with the regulation. 

2 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Most of what you listed appear to be state issues and not federal issues. As for the one regarding whales I would need to research the law. If there is a history of fisherman cutting the nets in a manner where by it remains attached to the whale as it swims off or a history of illegal fishing practices leading to whales getting caught in nets where by the nets were cut to hide the crime; than I might agree with the regulation. 

It's not a crime to catch whales in a net. It's a crime to keep them there.

Additionally, cutting nets in a way that the whale takes them with is a terrible idea, as you can simply open the net and let the whale out without cutting it. Nets aren't cheap.

But, it's illegal to simply open the net and let the whale out. Instead, you must hold the whale there, potentially drowning it while it's tangled in the net, until state authorities boat out to meet you in a few days......

10 minutes ago, NicholaiRen said:

Additionally, cutting nets in a way that the whale takes them with is a terrible idea, as you can simply open the net and let the whale out without cutting it. Nets aren't cheap.

But, it's illegal to simply open the net and let the whale out. Instead, you must hold the whale there, potentially drowning it while it's tangled in the net, until state authorities boat out to meet you in a few days......

I think it would be easiest if you could point out the actual regulation. As Phi stated, you seem to be mostly pointing to state and local regulations, which are not mandated by the feds.

And it should probably be added that for the purpose of this thread, it makes most sense to focus on a) regulations that can be adjusted by the federal government and perhaps more important, regulations that are actually actively removed (or in the process thereof) by the Trump administration. It would also make sense to take a look on new regulation put out by the administration.

This, is probably a good starting point.

1 hour ago, NicholaiRen said:

Well, my example regarding super-sized sodas apparently had absolutely nothing to do with my position to you because you ignored it and jumped straight to pharmaceuticals.

I think instead that you missed my comment about it. The ban was overturned.

Gosh send him and his axe over here.

We have been collecting outdated regulations for hundreds of years longer than you lot over there.

The one I like best is the requirement for every London Taxi to carry a bale of hay in their boot (trunk to you) for their horse.

:)

Edited by studiot

3 minutes ago, studiot said:

Gosh send him and his axe over here.

We have been collecting outdated regulations for hundreds of years longer than you lot over there.

The one I like best is the requirement for every London Taxi to carry a bale of hay in their boot (trunk to you) for their horse.

:)

John Thomas of the Licensed Taxi Drivers Association says, the law did exist at one time but it is not a requirement any more -  it was finally removed from the law books in 1976.

I get the impression that "simply opening the net" is not so simple.

Regulation could be in place to keep fishermen from dealing with massive animals who would be unpredictable and dangerous. People have died freeing whales from nets.

4 hours ago, Ten oz said:

It is a crime to hunt or Kill a whale in the Unite States. 

If they were hunting and killing whales, trust me, they wouldn't be worried about freeing it now, would they?

4 hours ago, CharonY said:

I think it would be easiest if you could point out the actual regulation. As Phi stated, you seem to be mostly pointing to state and local regulations, which are not mandated by the feds.

Ah, it's a Massachusetts law. So that'd be state as well.

they were hunting and killing whales, trust me, they wouldn't be worried about freeing it now, would they?

Right, but if they are hunting they, fail, and the Whale gets injured claiming it was just an accident while freeing the whale would provide plausible deniability. If fishermen are dift netting with an illegal length of net and a whale gets caught cutting it free without calling anyone is a good way to avoid being caught. 

7 hours ago, NicholaiRen said:

"Robert J. Eldridge, 40, had faced a potential $100,000 fine and a maximum of a year in jail plus probation if found guilty of violating the federal Endangered Species Act and the Marine Mammal Protection Act."

That's federal law. You said there was a state law involved.

And, as I suspected, one issue is safety

"to ensure that all activities performed are safe for both responders and animals"

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/national/marine-life-distress/marine-mammal-health-and-stranding-response-program