Ocean/Sea Hydroponics

Willshikabob

For a grade 10 hum project, I am doing (UN Sustainable Dev Goals) hydroponics. I was thinking "hey, there's a lot of ocean space and sea space, why don't we use that?" I know you can't directly use seawater, but I had another idea. What if I somehow made a little raft with a mesh bottom that uses the evaporated water to grow my plants. The nutrients would be present but not viable yet until exposed to water, and sunlight isn't an issue on the ocean or sea. I'm not by any means an expert and wanted a professional's opinion. Would this be able to work?

I think so it is plausible idea.

However it has some issues like hurricanes and storms.

The main question is how big these oceans food farms should be.

If you need to spend more energy (in fuel) for boats to bring ready product back to land, entire idea has no economical sense.

If entire world economic won't change, in the face of overpopulation, prices of food will grow to the level, in which even currently silly ideas will start making economical sense..

I think so genetically modified algae (or other microorganisms or plants *) ), which will produce ready fuel, in the middle of nowhere (like desert), using large tanks and/or hydroponics, is more senseful idea at the moment.

When there will be no more empty land, in the middle of nowhere, there will be no other option, but ocean/sea-farms or underground. But better if they will produce liquid fuel which has smaller density than water and is not miscible with water (it'll be easier to separate and deliver to land) rather than food directly (food has very short expiration date.. You would have to build not only food farm but also entire factory which will process food at place and conserve it for longer time).

*) Imagine farm-skyscraper with GMO plants which is making fuel in its GMO fruits, and when they are ready, release fuel which is simply gathered and flows like juice in pipes to the ground..

Edited by Sensei

30 minutes ago, Sensei said:

I think so it is plausible idea.

However it has some issues like hurricanes and storms.

The main question is how big these oceans food farms should be.

If you need to spend more energy (in fuel) for boats to bring ready product back to land, entire idea has no economical sense.

If entire world economic won't change, in the face of overpopulation, prices of food will grow to the level, in which even currently silly ideas will start making economical sense..

I'm not worried about cost, that's up to the suits if this goes through. As for hurricanes, storms, and space, I'm thinking of something not too far offshore, so it'll be easy to get, like within a really long rope length. I'm just thinking more of the science side, and if it would actually work. Thank you!

48 minutes ago, Willshikabob said:

As for hurricanes, storms, and space, I'm thinking of something not too far offshore, so it'll be easy to get, like within a really long rope length.

Closer to shore, does not necessarily mean smaller waves. In fact, as water becomes shallow, the energy of the "swell" amplifies and creates breaking waves. Long lines, cables or ropes will undoubtedly impede vessel traffic. Then there is the issue of fouling. The ocean is not free from natural debris such as kelp, grasses, logs and other flotsam. It only takes a month or two for any object in the marine environment to foul with barnacles and tunicates. The longer the exposure, the heavier floating objects become.

Inshore would be a better solution. It's often calmer and warmer water. There are less dynamic forces straining the system and it would be easier to recover even if lost or re-positioned following storms. In which case, lakes would be more suitable, especially without the need for desalinating water.

Keep thinking though, you've touched an astute topic. Good luck with your project!

On 5/4/2018 at 6:29 PM, rangerx said:

In which case, lakes would be more suitable, especially without the need for desalinating water.

Question for clarification. Say I use the evaporated water just above water level, would that water still be salinated?

Edit: Also, would it still be even plausible because of the small amount of evaporated water?

Edited by Willshikabob
Another question