Origin of your UserName?

Velocity_Boy

From the title of my first book, The Dream Document.  It was a clumsy attempt at publicity for my book at various websites many years ago when I believed I knew all there was to know about dreams and dreaming--frankly, I did not. 

17 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I carried mine over from an acoustic guitar forum. I went through a phase of trying every string type I could find and a friend of mine called me it.

Thanks String. I admit yours as being one if the more interesting names here, and I was hoping  hoping youd weigh in. I wax also egregiously off base as to what I thought it might refer to. And that was....string theory from quantum physics!

1 minute ago, Velocity_Boy said:

Thanks String. I admit yours as being one if the more interesting names here, and I was hoping  hoping youd weigh in. I wax also egregiously off base as to what I thought it might refer to. And that was....string theory from quantum physics!

Yes, that does seem an obvious link, considering this is a science forum.

Thanks for the great responses so far, guys. I have an old, curmudgeonly Texas State Trooper to thank for my name.

Several years ago I was stopped for doing about 70 in a 55mph zone on my Kawasaki Ninja 700. The cop saunters up to me, flips out his ticket book, and drawls, "OK velocity boy, what seems to be the big hurry?"

3 minutes ago, Velocity_Boy said:

Thanks for the great responses so far, guys. I have an old, curmudgeonly Texas State Trooper to thank for my name.

Several years ago I was stopped for doing about 70 in a 55mph zone on my Kawasaki Ninja 700. The cop saunters up to me, flips out his ticket book, and drawls, "OK velocity boy, what seems to be the big hurry?"

That's the same spirit me friend called me StringJunky. :). At least the cop had a sense of humour.

Well, my first name is Marc, so I just dropped the M. I also enjoy geology and there are references to arcs in that, and some of the skill sets in my trade are in electrical and welding, so it is both descriptive and very efficient.  That sign has my face on it because I have had the same parking space for over a dozen years and in that time all of the parking spots that were vacant finally filled as our company went from 10 employees to 53. Then one day a new young fellow parked in my spot and there were not any others left so I parked off site and mentioned to him politely that I had been parking there for so many years .  .  .  . and well, the next day he was in it again and I asked him again .  .  .  .  .   so, this went on for about three or four days, so one morning I drove out there with the fork-truck and moved his car and parked mine there  .  .  .  .  .  .and .  . well .  .  .  .now I have a sign. 

4 hours ago, tmx3 said:

Chess. Lol. Wanted something short and sweet to login and play chess online with people. Yup. 

Hello, tmx3, i like your photograph - who is that pretty girl with you? When i was a little boy, i had a cat just like you and, although he wasn't as clever as you and couldn't play chess, he was my best pal and his name was Tub - even though he was very skinny. So, when i was thinking of a name to use here that was also " short and sweet ", i thought of my old pal Tub and picked his name - even though i'm very skinny too! My avatar is a minstrel dressed as Harlequin.

10 hours ago, arc said:

Well, my first name is Marc, so I just dropped the M. I also enjoy geology and there are references to arcs in that, and some of the skill sets in my trade are in electrical and welding, so it is both descriptive and very efficient.  That sign has my face on it because I have had the same parking space for over a dozen years and in that time all of the parking spots that were vacant finally filled as our company went from 10 employees to 53. Then one day a new young fellow parked in my spot and there were not any others left so I parked off site and mentioned to him politely that I had been parking there for so many years .  .  .  . and well, the next day he was in it again and I asked him again .  .  .  .  .   so, this went on for about three or four days, so one morning I drove out there with the fork-truck and moved his car and parked mine there  .  .  .  .  .  .and .  . well .  .  .  .now I have a sign. 

What a great story! You deserved a sign for that. :P

13 hours ago, arc said:

So your name is not a mere double entendre, but a triple! Nice.

18 hours ago, StringJunky said:

That's the same spirit me friend called me StringJunky. :). At least the cop had a sense of humour.

Yeah....I guess he did...a little bit maybe. I wish his sense of humor was great enough to where he'd of let me off with a warning, but alas, he gave me a ticket. And here in Texas they're expensive. Just like any state where there's no income tax. I even made the bastard laugh when I told him that since I was at the time a gigging drummer, I might some day name my band Velocity Boy. Giving the Texas DPS full credit, of course.

Edited by Velocity_Boy

Welp, I can't really remember why the hell I baptised myself "Function". Guess I liked maths at the time. Yup. Liked. I would still like it, if I hadn't forgotten even how to sole the easiest integrals. But hey, medicine and maths may start both with an "m", but that's about the only thing they have in common. After all, I didn't (and still don't) have the time to adequately maintain my knowledge and skills in maths. I regret, however, that I forgot most of the physics we were taught; I'm actually planning on re-learning physics when I get the time.

But I'm quite fond of brain tumours. Hence the avatar.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:11 AM, zapatos said:

What a great story! You deserved a sign for that. :P

Well, the boss' motivation was more crisis management then a reward. They kind of know that I'm perfectly willing to solve my own problems if they hesitate to address my requests for their involvement. My supervisor mentioned several weeks ago that I was the only employee that could throw a burning chair off the balcony and hit someone and not lose their job. He was joking of course, but I've been in this business 40 years and I'm probably way to comfortable in changing employers. But these folks are hands down the best I've ever worked for and would not do anything to rock the boat too much. Its mostly theatrics for my own amusement. Its kind of fun when people I haven't seen for awhile ask me if I really did do that to that guy's car.

On 06/05/2018 at 12:37 AM, arc said:

Well, the boss' motivation was more crisis management then a reward. They kind of know that I'm perfectly willing to solve my own problems if they hesitate to address my requests for their involvement. My supervisor mentioned several weeks ago that I was the only employee that could throw a burning chair off the balcony and hit someone and not lose their job. He was joking of course, but I've been in this business 40 years and I'm probably way to comfortable in changing employers. But these folks are hands down the best I've ever worked for and would not do anything to rock the boat too much. Its mostly theatrics for my own amusement. Its kind of fun when people I haven't seen for awhile ask me if I really did do that to that guy's car.

You remind me of a guy I used to work with. Years back I was a tech rep for a software company. We were doing an installation at a company and had a problem that we couldn't figure out. Eventually the decision was made to bring the developer on site to resolve the issue. It was well known within the company that because of his ability, he was able to pretty much do as he pleased. So on the day he shows up, we are all wearing suits as was the norm back then. This guy shows up in flip flops and a dead head t-shirt. I looked at the customer with a look of chagrin on my face, but he smiles and says "if you let this guy get away with showing up at a client site looking like that, then I know you brought in the right guy."

10 hours ago, zapatos said:

You remind me of a guy I used to work with. Years back I was a tech rep for a software company. We were doing an installation at a company and had a problem that we couldn't figure out. Eventually the decision was made to bring the developer on site to resolve the issue. It was well known within the company that because of his ability, he was able to pretty much do as he pleased. So on the day he shows up, we are all wearing suits as was the norm back then. This guy shows up in flip flops and a dead head t-shirt. I looked at the customer with a look of chagrin on my face, but he smiles and says "if you let this guy get away with showing up at a client site looking like that, then I know you brought in the right guy."

:lol: :lol::lol: 

Our company is located in Portland OR, those flip-flops and dead head t-shirts are increasingly becoming standard fare in our clientele, not surprising considering our lead in micro-brewing and decriminalizing cannabis. A good portion of the fidelity my employer has for me is that I committed fully to their early adoption of safe work practices. In most trades it is a rather hit and miss with both young and old, the young thinking they're invincible and the old thinking they're too experienced to get hurt. So, despite what my admitted behavior would indicate I'm quite the model employee.^_^  That said, I am also the go to guy when they need one.    

My username means ‘don’t know’ in Czech. Chosen because there’s so much I don’t know. Happily though, after a year spent browsing Sfn, I know a lot more than I did :)

The avatar is a mandala, which to me signifies peace, patience and perseverance.

7 hours ago, MigL said:

Did you ever do any boxing Ten oz ?
Or just like to watch ?

I boxed as teen and continue to train people as an adult. I primarily train the basics to friends and co-workers looking to learn for the sake of fun and exercise but did train a guy a couple years ago for a Police/Federal Officer tournament he went on to win. I was good, am still good, never pursued it professionally because it wasn't the sort of life I wanted. Boxing isn't like other pro sports where there is a commission and unions looking out for athletes. In boxing everyone is on their own working with promoters to get fighters made. Too much of a hustle. I saw too talented athletes in the amateurs dedicate years and have hundreds of fights just to end up no where.  

That explains your tenacity and stubbornness, Ten oz.
Fighter instinct and thick head bones.  :D

I just gained a whole new level of respect for you.

Edited by MigL