Origin of your UserName?

Velocity_Boy

Hey all....

In a humble attempt to get to know some of my fellow SFers, I was wondering if you would be so kind ad to share with us what prompted you to choose the username you did? What is its meaning? What message were you hoping to convey to us by using it? If indeed there was one. And also what's the story behind your avatar? If its of, say, a TV or movie character...like our resident GOTG's Negasonic Teen....why did you want to use it here?

As always.....much thanks for your time with this. I'm looking forward to reading some interesting and amusing stories and explanations.

I'll share the origin of my username after we give a few if you the chance to get this ball rolling!

Thanks again.......VB

1 hour ago, Mordred said:

Evil son of King Arthur...

You don't seem that evil to me... 

My Avatar and my name are derived from some grand-grand-...-grand-cousin, named Eise Eisinga. He built (a still working!) giant orrery through the ceiling of his living room in 1781, in Franeker, the Netherlands, to show that a conjunction of planets did not mean they would collide. So he was a debunker of superstition.

Willem_Bartel_van_der_Kooi_-_Eise_Eising

FranekerPlanetarium.JPG

Edited by Eise

21 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I carried mine over from an acoustic guitar forum. I went through a phase of trying every string type I could find and a friend of mine called me it.

I had assumed it was because you were a fan of string theory. :)

Mine came about because I want to call myself Oji [old man] on the first forum I joined but the software wouldn't let me. So I borrowed the title of the  famous (?) song "Henna Oji-san" [strange old geezer] but people started shortening it to Henna, which didn't make any sense. So I changed it to Strange.

Avatar? I just loved the character and that scene from the movie so I added the caption because it seemed appropriate to a lot of threads here. (There was also a thing on a forum - not sure if it was this one or somewhere else - where several people switched to female avatars to highlight a problem with how some female [or female-avatared] members were being treated by a few posters.)

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Avatar? I just loved the character and that scene from the movie so I added the caption because it seemed appropriate to a lot of threads here. (There was also a thing on a forum - not sure if it was this one or somewhere else - where several people switched to female avatars to highlight a problem with how some female [or female-avatared] members were being treated by a few posters.)

I can't tell from my screen whether it is Neo from the Matrix or Elijah Wood from something else.

As for the caption...  I'll admit that first time I saw it I thought it was something about Lesbian, Migits, Gays, Transexual, F******  or something like that   -  but then it clicked as to what it actually meant. Sorry. lol.

I am sure we have done this before - my name is not very exciting  -  it's just my initial.  

My Last name is Kot******i, when I was making my living as a house DJ in the 90’s I had to come up with a nick for myself and ended up with „koti” which means „home” in Finnish language and is a shorty for my surname...so it fitted well I thought. My avatar is my face. 

Edited by koti

I can't put my real name out there for several reasons, and I've always used the alias John Raider.

As a result, I used Raider5678 because I was a young idiot who didn't realise I shouldn't be putting numbers in my name.....but I did.

So I'm forever stuck with 5678 in my name. Which nobody ever uses, they just say Raider.

Mine was a username I used in a game called Strike Force, given by a friend, because of my tendency to run around like an idiot and still manage to shoot my fair share, it's also quite an apt name for poker, the avatar is an original I commissioned for my Triumph.

Edited by dimreepr

Indiana Jones fan when younger. While on an online bulletin board it prevented me from using Indy, so changed the "I" to an "E".

Avatar is of either a futuristic Earth or space colony. Thought it looked good and we touch on those subjects regularly here.

8 hours ago, Mordred said:

Evil son of King Arthur... chose it over 15 years ago bern using it since.

*remains deeply concerned ;)

1 hour ago, MigL said:

I'm waiting on Nimrod the Goat to post an explanation for his/her user name...

YEs me too I wonder how the username originated.

It originated because I love goats and the first one I owned was named Nimrod. I had another goat and I called him Szpor (after an ambitious, but unconsiderate teacher of mine). So I just stuck the two together. Therefore, knowledge is not possible. 

THe profile picture and the cover image in my profile were recently updated to reflect my current tastes. 

Edited by NimrodTheGoat

54 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

You conceived of it when you was on another astral plane and woke up in the morning to sick all over the bed.

That happened to me too and each day, now, I wake up to the question... Is this sick?

I wish i had a better username , i was supposed to quit my smoking habit with this account , but that did not happen . It would happen before my 33rd birthday coming soon in june .

Avatar is for atheism and world peace because i got sick of everything else , too much violence in the media

John is a very common name for blokes my age.

Cuthbert is a comic character I was likened to at school (my mum was a teacher so... sort of)

Initially I dropped the T because the software wouldn't let me have more than 12 characters.

I think I could change it, but I don't want to get muddled with anyone whose real surname is Cuthber and real first name is John.

I use Ken Fabian here because it's my name. Whilst I have sometimes said things on blogs or forums I regretted I am not going to duck responsibility for them behind a nom de plume. Some of the issue I discuss, like climate change, I think are better argued using my true name. The advice going about when I first started posting stuff online, to avoid using real names, seemed to overstate the dangers - or perhaps internet security caught up (mostly). I use to use Ken Fabos - and here and there I still do, because it's a hassle to change, and sometimes I've found my real name won't be accepted; I didn't think there were that many of us! Fabos was just a nickname used by a muso friend.