What is faith?

DrmDoc

1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

If you are using faith or religion or both to meet that goal then you have failed before you ever started... 

How many times do I have to tell you, I'M AN ATHEIST, so no; what steps are you taking?

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

How many times do I have to tell you, I'M AN ATHEIST, so no; what steps are you taking?

I treat everyone with the same respect they show me at the very least. Much more than I can say about you... 

I treat everyone with the same respect they show me at the very least. 

Not much wiggle room to forgive.

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Much more than I can say about you...

Look I get what you're saying, you don't like what I've said about your posts (I can be abrasive), just show me the evidence that I got wrong and I'll doff my cap to you, sir. 

9 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Not much wiggle room to forgive.

Look I get what you're saying, you don't like what I've said about your posts (I can be abrasive), just show me the evidence that I got wrong and I'll doff my cap to you, sir. 

Show me something you've said that is correct! Have you ever been a theist? Have you paid attention to much less read any holy books? Do you not understand the only tolerance they offer is toward those who agree with them and not even always then? 

Forgiving is easy, forgetting is difficult not to mention stupid.. 

26 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

How can you be tolerant towards those who ultimate goal is control of the entire world and the elimination of all who refuse to have faith? 

Edited by Moontanman

2 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Show me something you've said that is correct! Have you ever been a theist? Have you paid attention to much read any holy books? Do you not understand the only tolerance they offer is toward those who agree with them and not even always then? 

Forgiving is easy, forgetting is difficult not to mention stupid.. 

Look Moon, you're kinda proving my point right now, perhaps we should sleep on it...

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

You forgot this bit...

Pretending faith never has anything to do with radicalization is disingenuous. Not all radicals kill because of hatred. Radicalization is done for political, social and religious reasons, and isn't even necessarily violent.

Just now, dimreepr said:

Look Moon, you're kinda proving my point right now, perhaps we should sleep on it...

I am proving your point? The faithful would have you drown in your own blood if they were given back the power of life and death and I'm proving your point? 

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

I didn't say that, I said you need to cock the gun.

You do not think that cocking the gun should be made as difficult as possible or should we give religion back the power of life and death? 

You do not think that cocking the gun should be made as difficult as possible or should we give religion back the power of life and death? 

Taking away the guns would be preferable and no that's not a metaphor.

Just now, dimreepr said:

Seriously, sleep on it...

I've been sleeping on it for 64 years... You are ignoring history.... 

10 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Seriously, sleep on it...

I'll ask you one more question, why do you think various sects of christianity stopped persecuting each other? Why do you think Christians tolerate atheists or other religions in their midst? Why do you think you haven't been killed for being an atheist? In western countries at least BTW, doesn't always apply to other areas of the globe.

17 hours ago, zapatos said:

Sure you did.

Moon: "Possibly, but faith also inspires suicide bombers..."

dim: "Faith doesn't do that..."

Again with the cherry picking, I said:

You forgot this bit "why else do they need to radicalise them?", which also has nothing to do with faith (or the gun) and everything to do with hate. 

Faith may make it easier to commit suicide to advance the cause but so can a gun, going "over the top" in WWI was not optional.

Edited by dimreepr

16 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Perhaps it would help me if you could provide some evidence that it...

18 minutes ago, zapatos said:
  1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

has nothing to do with faith (or the gun) and everything to do with hate. 

Can you? 

Here's my attempt

Or perhaps this:

Always look on the bright side of life...

4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Again with the cherry picking, I said:

Faith may make it easier to commit suicide to advance the cause but so can a gun, going "over the top" in WWI was not optional.

You are going to have to go back a little further than WW1 to see the scope of horrors religion has allowed, caused, and demanded... 

Again religion is hate, hatred of everyone who doesn't worship just like you... 

13 hours ago, zapatos said:

While I appreciate the humor I was hoping for something a little more worthy of a science site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch_mosque_shootings

The attacks killed 51 people.[13][14] There were 50 injured, as of 17 March, one of whom later died.[3] A 28-year-old Australian man, described in media reports as a white supremacist and part of the alt-right, was arrested and charged with murder.[15][16][17][18] The attacks have been linked to an increase in white supremacism and alt-right extremism globally

19 hours ago, Moontanman said:

You are going to have to go back a little further than WW1 to see the scope of horrors religion has allowed, caused, and demanded... 

You're conflating what people do with what religion does; people kill people with whatever comes to hand.

19 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Again religion is hate, hatred of everyone who doesn't worship just like you... 

Religion is designed to be the opposite of hate, that's why words like forgive and tolerate and love crop up so often even against the tide/noise of time. 

Edited by dimreepr

You're conflating what people do with what religion does; people kill people with whatever comes to hand.

Religion is designed to be the opposite of hate, that's why words like forgive and tolerate and love crop up so often even against the tide/noise of time. 

You never actually read a holy book have you? Love, tolerance, forgive generally only show in reference to loving god, I guess tolerance is part of intolerance, but forgive is at least occasionally applied to others but mostly in context to god forgiving people. 

Edited by Moontanman

8 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Love, tolerance, forgive generally only show in reference to loving god, .................... but forgive is at least occasionally applied to others but mostly in context to god forgiving people. 

Being fair the NT is all about love and forgiveness of each other. Doing unto others and stuff. It's the gospels.

14 minutes ago, DrP said:

Being fair the NT is all about love and forgiveness of each other. Doing unto others and stuff. It's the gospels.

Being fair you should read it instead of allowing a preacher to cherry pick it for you. Even Jesus gets a little wonky but most of the NT is really paulism. If you ignore the old testament you lose the reason for jesus and why do christians hate homosexuals so much? Jesus never mentioned them. Cherry picking and religion go together like soup and sandwich... 

Just now, dimreepr said:

I read Sermon on the mount does that count?

Not really, the sermon on the mount contains lots of things that are wonky to say the least... for sure things christians ignore.  https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2015/11/09/watch-matt-dillahunty-deconstruct-the-entire-sermon-on-the-mount/