What is faith?

DrmDoc

1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

In the religious section of the site.. but since you seem to be having trouble understanding that here is this. Faith is something that only religion and bad used car salesmen need you to have... 

And...

The OP doesn't explicitly mention religion and besides this is a discussion site that is supposed to use reasoned arguments to support a position rather than obfuscation and conflation. 

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

And...

The OP doesn't explicitly mention religion and besides this is a discussion site that is supposed to use reasoned arguments to support a position rather than obfuscation and conflation. 

Said the man who has done little but obfuscate the issue at every turn... 

17 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

But the title is "What is faith"

4 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

The OP doesn't explicitly mention religion

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, DrmDoc said:

Most often arguments against science are used as justification for faith; however, those arguments do not appear to define a basis for your religious faith. 

He is clearly talking about religious faith in the OP.

2 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

You altenative is just one from many discussed or tried to be discussed.

You present your opinion as an absolute truth.

Where have I presented my opinion as truth? Please point it out and I will either prove you wrong or delete it.. 

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Maybe,

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, DrmDoc said:

define a basis for your religious faith.

There is no maybe about it. It is written there clearly.

6 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

I feel I can not discuss faith in a tread is about (religious) faith...

You can if you discuss religious faith, the bible gives a pretty good definition: 

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Hebrews 11: 1

I apologize for the neg rep, as soon as I can I'll remove it... 

Edited by Moontanman

2 minutes ago, DrP said:

There is no maybe about it. It is written there clearly.

Fair enough I missed that, but does it mean I'm disallowed from introducing an alternative perspective or critiquing an others?

20 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Where have I presented my opinion as truth? Please point it out and I will either prove you wrong or delete it.. 

We can not discuss the topic.

Your opinion is ok, your reasoning must be true without evidence and there is no space to discuss because you kill any other opinion with a straw men. (You do not understand the word)...

Edited by FreeWill

20 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

We can not discuss the topic.

Your opinion is ok, your reasoning must be true without evidence and there is no space to discuss because you kill any other opinion with a straw men. (You do not understand the word)...

What word would that be? 

21 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Fair enough I missed that, but does it mean I'm disallowed from introducing an alternative perspective or critiquing an others?

Anything outside faith in the religious sense would be off topic, but I see no reason to be that strict except you use any allowed leeway as an excuse to obfuscate the issue. 

Delusion 

8 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Anything outside faith in the religious sense would be off topic, but I see no reason to be that strict except you use any allowed leeway as an excuse to obfuscate the issue. 

I think this is not true if we consider your opening post and the title of the thread. 

Edited by FreeWill

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

What word would that be? 

Again, what issue? 

That your dog barks at the moon or is some sort of protection?

!

Moderator Note

No more personal attacks, everyone. You know better.

FreeWill, a strawman is a logical fallacy where you're arguing one thing ("We shouldn't start a war in Iran") and the other person counters an argument that wasn't presented ("It's a shame you don't support our troops"). None of the posts you reported are examples of strawman.

This is a lengthy thread, and it had parameters once upon a time. It seems now that definitions are becoming a problem. Perhaps it's time to close this and open up more specific lines of discussion? In any case, such discussion will NOT include insults and personal attacks.

On 4/29/2018 at 2:39 PM, DrmDoc said:

To the believers here who, oddly, chose to post to predominately science discussion forums, what is faith and why do you have it?  Perhaps you've discussed this topic variously before and, if so, I entreat your brief indulgence further.  My perusal of discussions here suggested to me that some of you do not seem to have a clear perspective of what distinguishes faith from science.  Most often arguments against science are used as justification for faith; however, those arguments do not appear to define a basis for your religious faith.  As I perceive, faith is a shield believers use against life's doubts, insecurities, and traumas.  Some of you may view science as an attack on that shield.  However, none of this provides your understanding of faith or what compel your belief.  What have you observed, experienced, or accomplished that supports your faith?  Is that support tangible? 

8 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

The issue is religious faith. 

!

Moderator Note

It's quite clear from the OP that the faith discussed in this thread is from believers in religion.

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Why do I need protection from that, do you?

!

Moderator Note

FreeWill, this is an example of a strawman, since Moontanman never claimed dimreepr needed protection from religious faith. See the difference?

19 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Moderator Note

It's quite clear from the OP that the faith discussed in this thread is from believers in religion.

My issue is, it doesn't matter who believes in what? Reality will bite...

Just now, dimreepr said:

My issue is, it doesn't matter who believes in what? Reality will bite...

We all know that though. This is a science site, so we are well versed on the fact that whatever we believe it doesn't impact on reality. (Apart from things like placebo effects... but even that is a belief that effects the well being and make up of a hugely complex human body... placebo's might effect biological machines but they won't effect the laws of physics).