What is faith?

DrmDoc

Dim would you shut up for a while please? I read the last 2 pages of this thread and youre not making any sense, literally your every post is some kind of a manouvre with multiple meanings to cover up what you don’t know or what you don’t want to say.

On 5/14/2019 at 3:46 PM, Moontanman said:

If you are using faith or religion or both to meet that goal then you have failed before you ever started... 

I can not agree with that.

Faith is that the unknown has a Nature aligned answer, and because of that, can be answered.

Edited by FreeWill

1 hour ago, FreeWill said:

Faith is that the unknown has a Nature aligned answer, and because of that, can be answered.

It's exactly the opposite - Faith is that the unknown has supernatural answers which have nothing to do with nature, it is science which offers nature aligned answers. Literally nothing can be answered unambiguously through faith. Faith in the religious sense is religious belief which by definition is trust in a particular system of belief. Thats it.

Edited by koti

5 minutes ago, koti said:

It's exactly the opposite - Faith is that the unknown has supernatural answers which have nothing to do with nature, it is science which offers nature aligned answers.

That is religion. Faith is what religions try to build and maintain their theories on. 

Edited by FreeWill

6 minutes ago, koti said:

Faith is belief in a religious system.

How would you call if I believe in something I think is Real but yet I can not prove?

The only system I believe in is the scientific one.

Edited by FreeWill

13 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

How would you call if I believe in something I think is Real but yet I can not prove?

Most likely you depend on religious faith. Unless its cure for cancer which you believe in that will be developed, you can believe in various things without proof, if its a magic man in the sky, this kind of belief is called religious faith.

Cool. 

8 hours ago, koti said:

you can believe in various things without proof 

This is Faith. (Which require some evidence, like parts of Nature)

8 hours ago, koti said:

if its a magic man in the sky

This is Religion (with misinterpreted evidence)

Edited by FreeWill

19 minutes ago, koti said:

Could you give an example so I can understand ?

1/0 has an universally true Natural Reality aligned solution. (the believe)

I know from Nature what can be described with the Natural Number 1. (the evidence)

Edited by FreeWill

16 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

I know from Nature what can be described with the Natural Number 1. (the evidence)

You don't divide by zero. I have no idea what your are talking about and what it has to do with faith.

57 minutes ago, koti said:

You don't divide by zero.

This is the believe(faith?)

58 minutes ago, koti said:

I have no idea what your are talking about and what it has to do with faith.

This is not an evidence.

This is the believe(faith?)

This is not an evidence.

I’m sory but I’m not following anything youre saying in the last posts.

2 hours ago, FreeWill said:

What on earth do you mean by the above? It sounds like word salad.

18 hours ago, koti said:

Dim would you shut up for a while please? I read the last 2 pages of this thread and youre not making any sense, literally your every post is some kind of a manouvre with multiple meanings to cover up what you don’t know or what you don’t want to say.

Fu Thank you for bringing this to my attention and, of course, your contribution.

17 hours ago, FreeWill said:

Being gullible...

17 hours ago, FreeWill said:

Then faith doesn't figure into it, faith is not allowed in science... no not even faith in the scientific method, the method is tested regularly, faith by definition cannot be tested and is not a path to knowledge...

36 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Then faith doesn't figure into it, faith is not allowed in science... no not even faith in the scientific method, the method is tested regularly

I do not know, did you ever experience faith, but for sure I believe (know, has faith in*) that our scientific methodology is as good as we are able to set it up.

Faith is a very good motivator to set questions and search the reality One exist in.

I know that the more interesting questions can not be answered without science (mathematics/philosophy, physics, biology....)

*since I see it is working

36 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

faith by definition cannot be tested 

By which definition?

I can set a 0 - 100 scale where you would get 0 and I would get 1. The Christian's pind on the  cross because they did not give up their believe system gets 100.

Sadly human faith is very well tested through history.

Edited by FreeWill

1 hour ago, Moontanman said:

Then faith doesn't figure into it, faith is not allowed in science... no not even faith in the scientific method, the method is tested regularly, faith by definition cannot be tested and is not a path to knowledge...

Faith is trust backwards, whilst everything moves forwards.

But that doesn't mean we should be down on the faithful because we trust the future...

Edited by dimreepr

I do not know, did you ever experience faith, but for sure I believe (know, has faith in*) that our scientific methodology is as good as we are able to set it up.

Faith is belief without evidence. Are you sure you have "faith" in our scientific methodology, or is it possibly "trust/confidence" based on actually seeing its success?

53 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Faith is belief without evidence. Are you sure you have "faith" in our scientific methodology, or is it possibly "trust/confidence" based on actually seeing its success?

I have trust and since our scientific understanding does not seem to be absolutely complete (1/0), I have faith too. I have faith in the future of science. True, It's a trust without any* evidence.

*Future yet not appeared (I.e has no evidence) but 99.999...9% of energy and matter is present, on what the future will build on.

Trust in the past is faith in the future!

The future can not be 100% predictable and has no appeared evidence in the present. 

Edited by FreeWill

8 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

I have trust and since our scientific understanding does not seem to be absolutely complete (1/0), I have faith too. I have faith in the future of science. True, It's a trust without any* evidence.

*Future yet not appeared (I.e has no evidence) but 99.999...9% of energy and matter is present, on what the future will build on.

Trust in the past is faith in the future!

The future can not be 100% predictable and has no appeared evidence in the present. 

So you've robbed both faith and trust of their individual meanings, in order to be able to say you have faith in science. You steal from your own intellect.

2 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I didn't say that.

Pay attention, please.