What is faith?

DrmDoc

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

I read Sermon on the mount does that count?

The Beatitudes. :-) I used to find the part where even thinking about a woman sexually is equivalent to adultery challenging. I used to beat myself up about it as my eyes have always wandered. Those are my eyes though and looking back I beat myself up for no reason. Burning with desire is one thing, a little flirtation or admiration is nothing imo and even perfectly natural. I fell like an idiot for entertaining it for so many years. :-( 

"The meek shall inherit the earth?   -  well, let them have it!  I don't want any trouble with the meek!"

Just because you do, doesn't mean everyone's at it; forgive them for they know not what they do.

So pointing out that people are cherry picking is cherry picking? Don't bend over so far your ignorance of the subject is showing... 

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Being fair you should read it instead of allowing a preacher to cherry pick it for you.

I never really done that imo (Cherry pick) -  I and many others I know used to pray before any bible study that we would be lead by the holy ghost to receive his message to us through his word. This meant letting certain things just hit you and sink in. Someone could talk for half an hour during a sermon but the important lesson is that one thing that leaps out at you and sticks. As it goes I guess this is a form of cherry picking, but if it were true (being led by the holy ghost) then it would be perfectly acceptable as the cherries are picked by god.

Basically - if the god of the bible were real then everything can be explained, all the contradiction all the errors, all of the perceived evil. It is all explained if god (and the devil) are real...  although the test for it's reality then becomes unfalsifiable.

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Do you really think the eradication of religion will lead to some sort of utopia? However hard you wish the answer is never that simple.

I have never, not once, suggested the eradication of religion, you really need to step back and start paying attention... 

Just now, Moontanman said:

That is because you continue to argue from ignorance. I am all about freedom of religion as long as that religions freedoms do not give them special privileges... 

Ye, but it's people that do that...

2 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Ye, but it's people that do that...

Well governments really but who else would? Do you think Christianity just suddenly woke up one morning and thought "wow! we need to stop persecuting each other and people who do not worship our god?" 

1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

Do you think Christianity just suddenly woke up one morning and thought "wow! we need to stop persecuting each other and people who do not worship our god?"

No, but someone might have.

Just now, dimreepr said:

No, but someone might have.

Yeah, secularists... Christianity had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the enlightenment. It took almost a century to put much of a dent into various christian sects percuting each other. In fact until the late 20th century protestants and catholics were still using religion as an excuse to kill each other over sometimes not to old grievances...   

19 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I have never, not once, suggested the eradication of religion, you really need to step back and start paying attention... 

2 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Yeah, secularists... Christianity had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the enlightenment. It took almost a century to put much of a dent into various christian sects percuting each other. In fact until the late 20th century protestants and catholics were still using religion as an excuse to kill each other over sometimes not to old grievances...   

Seems explicit now...

We all want a better world, does it matter where we find it? 

Just now, dimreepr said:

Seems explicit now...

We all want a better world, does it matter where we find it? 

Well religion has had thousands of years of complete control and they never stopped persecuting each other or people who didn't believe the same way they did. I don't think they deserve any more control much less absolute control of life and death over the population. 

6 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Well religion has had thousands of years of complete control and they never stopped persecuting each other or people who didn't believe the same way they did. I don't think they deserve any more control much less absolute control of life and death over the population. 

It's telling that you use the word control, religions don't. ;)

Edited by dimreepr

It's telling you use the word control, religions don't. ;)

Of course they do not, they use words like "kill non believers" again you are being disingenuous by trying to obfuscate the issue. I have my doubts you qualify as as an atheist since at least the abrahamic religions, if given back their power, would have you killed. In fact in some Muslim countries your head would be in danger of being separated from your body for such thoughts... 

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Of course they do not, they use words like "kill non believers" again you are being disingenuous by trying to obfuscate the issue. I have my doubts you qualify as as an atheist since at least the abrahamic religions, if given back their power, would have you killed. In fact in some Muslim countries your head would be in danger of being separated from your body for such thoughts... 

Dude, when are you going to sleep on it?

8 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I guess it would be when you explain my ignorance to me...

I have over and over but you simply keep repeating what the religious claim instead of looking for non religious sources or heaven forbid actually using google to look up what the theistic claims are and how dishonest they are. Without lies and deception religions could not exist... 

Faith itself is nothing but self deception... 

Edited by Moontanman