(?) Proton LINAC field progression..

ZMacZ Furreh

QUESTION:

Given that proton-LINAC's use static magnetic systems to propel a proton to higher speeds,

what theoretical difference would a non-static magnetic system provide in terms of acceleration or power usage or efficiency ?

The question here is not on the difference between electrostatics or electromagnets or whichever form of field is applied to accelerate the proton.

The question is about the ability to actually move the cavities at the required speed (matching that of the proton), instead of using fixed pulsing

of the magnets to re-create new cavities at wanted times.

I think the principle is about the proton moving into the cavity or rather moving out of the non-cavity into the cavity by applying force by a field.

So, if the field itself would change position, along the proton's path, it could have a better result on accelerating said proton.

Now, would this be true ? (ignoring the scope of what type of field is used to accelerate said proton, and all other considerations in this case..)

(Static fields vs. mobile fields, more like so..)

Any usefull inputs would be nice..

(if this topic is for the wrong section then plz do move it to the more appropriate one thx..)

As protons are typically accelerated to very close to the speed of light, it would be impractical to try and move the magnets at that speed. And it seems unnecessary as the require acceleration can be obtained by turning the magnets on and off to accelerate the protons.

Well, like I said it's not about the means of moving the field, but about the difference that would make..

And although the CERN gets near speed of light, I think a 200 meter long LINAC would never be able to do so,

not unless a moving cavity was used anyways..

I'm only interested in the theoretical differences between the static generation of timed cavities, in opposition of a moving cavity..

I'm really uncertain of this, but I think a moving cavity would be able to apply more force over the length of the LINAC,

while timed cavities can only do so while in existencem, and thus, over length create less acceleration..

But then the question would be how much less ?

My incling would say less than 50%, since the creation of the newer cavity must be at least the length of two single cavity's lengths..

Edited by ZMacZ Furreh

4 minutes ago, ZMacZ Furreh said:

And although the CERN gets near speed of light, I think a 200 meter long LINAC would never be able to do so,

"The linear accelerator, or linac, is the electromagnetic catapult that brings electrons from a standing start to relativistic velocity--a velocity near the speed of light. ... The linac is four meters long--not a great distance in which to get even an electron from zero to almost 300,000 kilometers per second."

http://www2.lbl.gov/MicroWorlds/ALSTool/ALS_Components/Linac/

1 hour ago, Strange said:

"The linear accelerator, or linac, is the electromagnetic catapult that brings electrons from a standing start to relativistic velocity--a velocity near the speed of light. ... The linac is four meters long--not a great distance in which to get even an electron from zero to almost 300,000 kilometers per second."

http://www2.lbl.gov/MicroWorlds/ALSTool/ALS_Components/Linac/

Not electron LINAC's a proton one...can it do that too, in such a small length  ?

I'm talking CERN here..

https://home.cern/about/accelerators/linear-accelerator-2

Which is considerably longer than that..

2 hours ago, ZMacZ Furreh said:

The question here is not on the difference between electrostatics or electromagnets or whichever form of field is applied to accelerate the proton.

plz do read thoroughly plz..

It's about the change in applied acceleration, not on which type of field..

I'm talking about a similar one to CERN, which propels protons..

FYI CERN uses RF cavities for the proton propulsion..

Edited by ZMacZ Furreh