Does gravity cause disentanglement?

Silvestru

I wanted to add this article to those interested. The paper does not have much data behind it so just treat it as an interesting idea. 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1803.10503.pdf

We propose a novel connection between the spacetime geometry and quantum entanglement of matter fields “living” in that geometry. We highlight, as a natural consequence of those studies, that gravitational field might have a natural tendency of reducing entanglement between two quantum states.

12 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

I wanted to add this article to those interested. The paper does not have much data behind it so just treat it as an interesting idea. 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1803.10503.pdf

Sounds interesting, haven't read it yet, will do in the evening. Did they state a threshold where curvature causes reduction in entanglement?

6 minutes ago, koti said:

Sounds interesting, haven't read it yet, will do in the evening. Did they state a threshold where curvature causes reduction in entanglement?

It's really short. No they do not specify a threshold, you are asking too much of this article haha. Some members might correct me but in my opinion this is on the lower level of the University Library publications when it comes to backing up statements with observational evidence or a model or something.

Speaking, a bit loosely, now in the language of entangled particles, consider a pair creation where both particles are entangled with each other, from their birth and, they travel distinct patches of the spacetime. During their travel, let us assume that particle 1 reaches a region of spacetime of comparatively large curvature while particle 2 always sees a flat portion of the spacetime. In this case, particle 1 experiences a gravitational induced collapse, which may also be incomplete, and by entanglement, the other particle’s state also gets affected. By incomplete collapse we mean that the purity of the quantum state is increased and as a result channel of entanglement become noisy so that the status of maximal entanglement gets affected. With a complete collapse, this two particle state will be represented by pure states (a direct product of individual particle states without superpositions). Now, the natural implication of this is to realise, that the entangled states which were entangled in past may not stay like that 5 forever in future, even without someone measuring this. Gravitational field is enough to disentangle the pairs!

19 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

It's really short. No they do not specify a threshold, you are asking too much of this article haha. Some members might correct me but in my opinion this is on the lower level of the University Library publications when it comes to backing up statements with observational evidence or a model or something.

Im not sure if I understand correctly - the implications of what they’re saying is that in a perfectly flat spacetime the wavefunction would never colapse? Im not  too familiar with Penrose’s work on this but if I understand correctly what they are saying in this article here, sounds far fetched. This would also mean that wavefunction colapse measurements would vary between sea levels on earth and velocities (different curvature) Is that something that has been observed? 

Edited by koti

16 minutes ago, koti said:

Im not sure if I understand correctly - the implications of what they’re saying is that in a perfectly flat spacetime the wavefunction would never colapse? Im not  too familiar with Penrose’s work on this but it sounds far fetched. This would also mean that wavefunction colapse measurements would vary between different sea levels on earth and velocities (different curvature) Is that something that has been observed? 

Hmm how do you quantify gravity? We do not have a quantum mechanical description of gravity yet so it's hard to say but quantum mechanics applies to everything including gravitation.

In this context I guess that the measurements would vary if the curvature of space-time varies ever so slightly. 

To look at it from a different side, a photon has no (rest) mass but it does interact with the gravitational field nonetheless.

Edited by Silvestru

13 hours ago, Silvestru said:

It is rather lacking so trust your instincts on this paper lol

5 hours ago, Mordred said:

It is rather lacking so trust your instincts on this paper lol

Haha absolutely. To be honest there are some topics in science that amaze me and I want to talk about them but they have little evidence behind them (I'm not talking about occult healing crystals or other pop science). I noticed that when it comes to Entanglement, String theory, Dark Matter and Dark energy it's very easy to get lost in the BS. 

I am not saying that these 4 subjects are in any way less legitimate but they do tend to be accompanied by fake, exaggerated or misunderstood information. A few years ago I was seeing a lot of pop around the Higgs boson. Thank Odin that it stopped!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.