Thoughts please? A theory of everything is necessarily a theory of nothing

Jack Egerton

11 hours ago, Sensei said:

Only quantum physicists play with electrons from 7.6 billions of people on this world.. and could notice it and appreciate it..

Is it game for quantum scientists.. ? :)

Everybody would be playing. How could I (for example) not be taking part in the simulation?

• 2 weeks later...

Jack, on the one hand you say that a theory of everything would lead to the conclusion that a universe could be entirely simulated, on the other hand, you say the concept of a simulated universe is old as the hills.

We don't know how far away we are from a theory of everything. But we've made plenty of universe simulations. The question in any simulation is always: how accurate can we make it? If the laws that we know are the only limits, then obviously, we could simulate the universe we inhabit with infallible accurracy if we had the theory of everything.

In a different post, I argued that taking principles from one field of science and simply supplanting them to another field is amateurish and pseudoscientific, but the hell, we ARE in the speculation and pseudoscience section, so here goes:

According to the equivalence principle from GR, a universe that is infallibly simulated IS a universe in its own right, and it would take a universe to simulate a universe infallibly. I don't know who here watches SFIA - Science and Futurism with Isaac Arthur - he uses a similar line of reasoning for simulated people and even civilizations. He also outlines some VERY GOOD reasoning for why anyone might simulate a universe, and more importantly why not, and I would like to refer you to his channel on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g). I particularly recommend Black Hole Farming from his supertopic Civilizations at the End of Time for this matter, but he gets back to this issue on many other episodes. 

What you will need to outline for me in more detail, Jack, is how exactly knowing 'everything' amounts to knowing 'nothing at all'.