Hollywood's Science Blunders

abeefaria

where does the Incredible Hulk get his extra Mass from?
Same way the pink panther does: He pulls a cord in his chest to inflate his torso. (I'm leaving the 'pun' response alone).

After watching Alien the second time (I forgot how slow and boring most of the plot-dragging was) I was stunned at the use of a camera aperature (about 50 mm in size) from the 50's as a worthless airlock throughout the Larger spaceship that could not close or make a seal by design.

Character - bender
corner_tl.gif corner_tr.gif
tail.gif
Oh come on, what about her shower scene at the end? Am I the only one who stood at attention for that?
corner_bl.gif corner_br.gif

After watching Alien the second time (I forgot how slow and boring most of the plot-dragging was)

What you call "plot dragging", I call "tension building" and "story development". Don't diss my favorite movie.:)

Character - bender
tail.gif
Oh come on, what about her shower scene at the end? Am I the only one who stood at attention for that?

I don't recall a shower scene in "Alien".

The James Bond Film "The World Is Not Enough". They all walk around holding massive quantities of plutonium in their hands claiming that 'it's safe and that the tritium is a far worse danger'. Meanwhile, the final battle takes place inside of a running nuclear reactor. I can suspend belief for a brief moment, but that's just freaking ridiculous.

My nomination for worst science in a movie has to go to "The Core". To many problems to list but my favorite is obtaining power to drive the ship from the ambiant heat of its surroundings. Apparently, the writers never heard of Carnot or the laws of thermodynamics.

:D

Heh, that was about the most entertaining movie I have ever seen, its comedy gold, I can't even remember all the great stuff from it, but every scene seemed like it was meant to be a joke. I've never seen any movie or tv show that as ever been very realistic at all (well, if it was a sci fi or an action movie, ya know, something moving or blowing up), but the core stands above them all ;) .

Yeah, The Core had so many really _dumb_ science errors. I got the dvd off the bargain rack at Wallmart. I like to have a couple of beers and watch it just to heckle it. :D

Even the basic premise of the movie, that catastrophe would result if the Earth's magnetic field quit. It's done that many times in the geologic record. Weakened, strengthened, gone to zero, reversed... no correlation with mass extinctions, climate shifts, etc.

There isn't a shower scene in Alien. Maybe MetaFrizzics is referring to the end when Sigourney is wearing the smallest panties in existence?
Oh, yeah. There was no water - it was space after all.

Character - bender
tail.gif
Those were panties? I thought it was a nose-plug.

The worst I've seen was in "Independence Day." They fly the alien ship up to the mother ship, then use their laptop to:

1. Access to the alien computer network

2. Connect via wireless LAN

3. Communicate with the alien OS

4. Upload a virus that was written without knowing anything about their computer architecture

5. Completely disable the alien network as if there are zero security protocols in place.

That movie was good, but the virus part was laughable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

watching Star Gate last night, there were invisibility Bracelets, the whole idea was SO full of holes and contradictory it was scarcely watchable.

how does it know where your Shoes end and the floor begins?

you can go invisible with your riffle, put it down and walk away, and it`s still invisible?

you remain ineffectual in the "real world" but can`t walk through walls or sink through the floor, so what`s supporting you?

Grrr.... you could carry on forever with the flaws in it.

watching Star Gate last night, there were invisibility Bracelets, the whole idea was SO full of holes and contradictory it was scarcely watchable.
And the headlines read, "PHYSICS DEFIED TO SATISFY STUPID PLOTLINE". Sad story. :mad:

watching Star Gate last night' date=' there were invisibility Bracelets, the whole idea was SO full of holes and contradictory it was scarcely watchable.

how does it know where your Shoes end and the floor begins?[/quote']You clearly don't understand the guiding principles behind invisibility. In short, it involves mesuring the magnetic field generated by your blood stream to emit magic waves in the right direction, the magic rays are restricted to only go within your field using the same technology that stops light sabers from going on forever: more magic.

Discovered via the Agony Booth, a Q&A on the physics of Star Trek:

Q: It was said in the TNG episode "The Outrageous Okona" that lasers will not even pierce the navigational deflectors. Does this mean that no laser, regardless of how much power is pumped into it, regardless of what portion of the EM spectrum is utilized, will EVER be able to harm a Federation Starship? I also would like to know precisely why Federation Shipwrights feel the need to make navigational deflectors impervious to photons. Does this protection extend to X-Rays, Gamma Rays, Microwaves, Radio Waves, and all the other parts of the EM Spectrum? If so, how does a Federation Starship manage to get any sensory information with the Nav Deflectors shoving all the radiation away from the ship? If Federation Ships deflect photons as is implied, how is it that they are visible? Wouldn't the deflection of all light make them invisible?

Ronald D. Moore: You have exceeded my knowledge of tech in Trek—which is all too easy, I'm afraid.

Tree,

You clearly don't understand the guiding principles behind invisibility. In short, it involves mesuring the magnetic field generated by your blood stream to emit magic waves in the right direction, the magic rays are restricted to only go within your field using the same technology that stops light sabers from going on forever: more magic.

Understanding the principles of invisibility, eh? Then how about that scene where James Bond actually hides behind his invisible car :D

I'd have to say gunshots and people flying back miles after being hit by a bullet... it just does not happen :D

And lets not forget the explosive petrol idea, the shooting a petrol tank makes the car explode etc.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

:P

at least in Other films' date=' such as the Fantastic Four, they had the common sense to make her take off her clothes to be invisible *Sheesh*:rolleyes:[/quote']

i dont think we can really chalk that one up to their dedication to science, more like their desire to boost sales by getting jessica alba in her underwear.