time?

sci-man

what is time?

Hello, Sci-man here AKA, (TheDarkOverlord)

I'm wondering what time is some say time is a real thing some say time is a concept but i think its a little of both.

so if you could please answer this question.

'What is time and how do you think it began?'

20 minutes ago, sci-man said:

what is time?

In classic physics time is 4th dimension (with three spatial dimensions *) ). It allows positioning events or objects on timeline.

e.g. position of object e.g. car A and car B is in 3D (xyz) 0,0,0 on parking..

So they would have to overlap without yet another parameter. Add time, and you will have:

0,0,0, today 17:00 and 0,0,0, today 18:00 (one hour difference between them), and objects A & B won't overlap anymore..

*) in some non-classical extensions it might be different number of dimensions than three.

Thee dimensional space article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-dimensional_space

Four dimensional space article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-dimensional_space

Edited by Sensei

1 minute ago, Sensei said:

In classic physics time is 4th dimension (with three spatial dimensions *) ). It allows positioning events or objects on timeline.

*) in some non-classical extensions it might be different number of dimensions than three.

e.g. position of object e.g. car A and car B is in 3D (xyz) 0,0,0 on parking..

So they would have to overlap without yet another parameter. Add time, and you will have:

0,0,0, today 17:00 and 0,0,0, today 18:00 (one hour difference between them), and objects A & B won't overlap anymore..

isn't exactly what i was asking about i was asking whether or not time is a real thing or whether it is a concept i guess time can be observed but not really be saved or spent or used or anything like that

4 minutes ago, sci-man said:

so is time a concept or not because you will never be able to travel time from my understanding of it because time is not a material thing and therefore you cannot travel it. right?

Space (i.e.distance) is not a material thing but we can travel through it.

Space and time are concepts. Ways of measuring the world around us. Space and time are inextricably linked as the four dimensions of space-time.

Just now, Strange said:

Space (i.e.distance) is not a material thing but we can travel through it.

Space and time are concepts. Ways of measuring the world around us. Space and time are inextricably linked as the four dimensions of space-time.

yes and I'm just trying to think about how one could travel time and your right space is not material thing rather the distance between things. I still think that time is a concept that only comes from having a mind like humans or certain animals also you can be unaware of time which is another weird thing about it

42 minutes ago, sci-man said:

isn't exactly what i was asking about i was asking whether or not time is a real thing or whether it is a concept i guess time can be observed but not really be saved or spent or used or anything like that

Time is a basic information about Space. Time says since when Space is existing and we can approximate their size and length from the information we get out from reality. They are fundamentally interconnected. Everything(energy and matter) exist in space -time

Edited by Lasse

35 minutes ago, sci-man said:

Is length a real thing or just a concept?

Whatever your answer to that is, is the same answer for time. I think it's real and a concept.
(by real I mean not an illusion, and not fake)

im not talking about the science of time rather the  Philosophy part of it

2 minutes ago, swansont said:

Is length a real thing or just a concept?

Whatever your answer to that is, is the same answer for time. I think it's real and a concept.
(by real I mean not an illusion, and not fake)

everything that is a measure it both like the speed of something or the distance between things. everything is real and a concept at the same time

4 minutes ago, Lasse said:

Time is a basic information about Space. Time says since when Space is existing and we can approximate their size from the information we get out from reality. They are fundamentally interconnected. Everything(energy and matter) exist in space -time