Time to rethink the Earth's motion?

JacobsLadder

1 minute ago, Strange said:

And those possibilities have been confirmed by experiment. So it appears to describe the reality we live in.

Please strange link me an experiment that expressly states we not only move in the universe but one that shows the 24 hour rotation around the sun. Ill save you some time, it does not exist.

4 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

I have yet to see a convincing argument that the earth is in motion although I appreciate your feedback.

Sunrise and sunset?

Coriolis force?

Foucault's pendulum?

The motion of the stars?

The fact the Earth is an oblate spheroid?

The Hafele-Keating experiment?

Just now, Scotty99 said:

Please strange link me an experiment that expressly states we not only move in the universe but one that shows the 24 hour rotation around the sun.

That wasn't what you asked about.

And, don't hijack this thread with your religious beliefs. Start your won.

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Sunrise and sunset?

Coriolis force?

Foucault's pendulum?

The motion of the stars?

The fact the Earth is an oblate spheroid?

The Hafele-Keating experiment?

That wasn't what you asked about.

And, don't hijack this thread with your religious beliefs. Start your won.

Not trying to hijack anything?

I asked a simple question that you claimed experiments have answered, yet to see a response.

6 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

I can't say I am convinced.

I tend towards Occam's razor in this case.

I have yet to see a convincing argument that the earth is in motion although I appreciate your feedback.

If that's all you want, look at the positions of relatively close-by stars six months apart. They won't be in the same location. But they will return to the same location six months after that.

There will also be aberration in the incoming light, because we are in motion.

The path of the sun through the sky changes over the course of the year.

A Foucault pendulum shows  that we are rotating.

There is a lot of evidence out there. Not being convinced by it is simply argument from personal incredulity stemming from a lack of understanding of physics.

47 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Does gravity have anything to do with maintaining your position in the air wrt the Earth as well, being centripetal?

Indirectly yes.

The actual force of gravity felt at any point (as measured by g) varies with distance from the equator, being a minimum at the equator and a maximum at the poles.

This is due to the fact that the force experienced is really a combination (vector sum) of gravity and the centripetal force.

Furthermore these two do not act in quite the same plane and direction, except at the equator, so the direction of gravity also varies.

Sorry no time for diagrams this morning.

9 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

Please strange link me an experiment that expressly states we not only move in the universe but one that shows the 24 hour rotation around the sun. Ill save you some time, it does not exist.

!

Moderator Note

You aren't allowed to pursue geocentrism discussion, and even in this thread it's a hijack.

5 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

I asked a simple question that you claimed experiments have answered, yet to see a response.

You just quoted the response (I know you are blinded by your religious faith, but really ...) and there are more in swansont's post following.

17 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

I can't say I am convinced.

I tend towards Occam's razor in this case.

Every experiment confirms it. Gravity - real. Inertia - real. Space flight - real.  You can't say you are convinced about what? Everything you have pointed as being 'wrong' has been explained and corrected with high school physics.  YOU have given ME nothing to convince me that all of our tried and experiments and observations are wrong. I can't understand your mental block at all...  maybe physics just isn't for you if you can't get your mind around such basic concepts.

Seriously - what have you got that defies the models that you haven't put forwards already and had explained? I think you must be trolling/having a laugh of some kind for sure.

43 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

Yes, so it should be the same in both directions.

If there is rotation at 1,675 kmh then the wind would be way beyond hurricane force.

The wind is traveling along with earths rotational velocity as well, the wind is in the same frame of reference as the earth so its moving too. You are moving at this very moment at ~220km/s (792000km/h) in relation to our galaxy center. Thats almost eight hundred thousand kilometers per hour. Can you acknowledge that you understand this or if not, ask what is unclear?

Edited by koti

An answer for the OP.

Try jumping from a non moving train to the ground.

Note how and where you hit the ground.

Now try jumping from a moving train, passing the previous impact point.

Do you note a difference?

So why do you think you land substantially further in the direction of movement of the second train?

Now your golf balls are carefully designed to the best of our ability to 'fly' (they have aerodynamic properties) as far as possible.

Why do you think your balls go further than you did when jumping off the train?

Edited by studiot

7 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

Why?

I would guess because it has been clearly and thoroughly debunked/rebuffed over and over but people still keep going 'round and round in circles' trying to credit the obviously ridiculous idea that has been proven to be false.  Go and read the threads about it.  Just a guess though  -  it IS possible I suppose that the mods know you are correct about geocentricism and are just trying to cover it up to avoid embarrassment. ;-)

2 minutes ago, DrP said:

it IS possible I suppose that the mods know you are correct about geocentricism and are just trying to cover it up to avoid embarrassment. ;-)

I watched and interview with Nima Arkani-Hamed the other day where he talks about the energy of the vacum being to the acuracy of 1^120 enabling physics to be what they are. Im no expert on probabilities but please feel free to prove that the mods covering up embarrassment is not in the same ball park :)  

36 minutes ago, DrP said:

Every experiment confirms it. Gravity - real. Inertia - real. Space flight - real.  You can't say you are convinced about what? Everything you have pointed as being 'wrong' has been explained and corrected with high school physics.  YOU have given ME nothing to convince me that all of our tried and experiments and observations are wrong. I can't understand your mental block at all...  maybe physics just isn't for you if you can't get your mind around such basic concepts.

Seriously - what have you got that defies the models that you haven't put forwards already and had explained? I think you must be trolling/having a laugh of some kind for sure.

I have addressed those points already.

Explain the helicopter/satellite anomaly and then we can talk.

39 minutes ago, koti said:

The wind is traveling along with earths rotational velocity as well, the wind is in the same frame of reference as the earth so its moving too. You are moving at this very moment at ~220km/s (792000km/h) in relation to our galaxy center. Thats almost eight hundred thousand kilometers per hour. Can you acknowledge that you understand this or if not, ask what is unclear?

Because apparently the earth rotating at 1,675 kmh. It is not a linear force so you be be subject to centrifugal force throwing you off the earth.

43 minutes ago, studiot said:

An answer for the OP.

Try jumping from a non moving train to the ground.

Note how and where you hit the ground.

Now try jumping from a moving train, passing the previous impact point.

Do you note a difference?

So why do you think you land substantially further in the direction of movement of the second train?

Now your golf balls are carefully designed to the best of our ability to 'fly' (they have aerodynamic properties) as far as possible.

Why do you think your balls go further than you did when jumping off the train?

My golf balls don't go further when I hit them east or west. That is evidence the earth is not rotating.

5 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

I have addressed those points already.

That was explained to you  -  what do you not understand about it? The helicopter takes off vertically....  it needs no sideways force to get it to keep up with the earth as it is already travelling WITH the Earth at the same speed.   It doesn't fly off the Earth at a Tangent because gravity provides the centripetal force required to keep it in the arc of the Earth. I do not believe that you don't get this. What are you missing?  What am I missing?

12 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

My golf balls don't go further when I hit them east or west. That is evidence the earth is not rotating.

So you are ignoring what we all said about inertia, frames of reference and gravity then?

16 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

Because apparently the earth rotating at 1,675 kmh. It is not a linear force so you be be subject to centrifugal force throwing you off the earth.

We are subjected to the centrifugal force trying to throw us off earth due to rotation. The rotational force is just not powerful enough to do it - because gravity.

Edited by koti

1 minute ago, DrP said:

That was explained to you  -  what do you not understand about it? The helicopter takes off vertically....  it needs no sideways force to get it to keep up with the earth as it is already travelling WITH the Earth at the same speed.   It doesn't fly off the Earth at a Tangent because gravity provides the centripetal force required to keep it in the arc of the Earth. I do not believe that you don't get this. What are you missing?  What am I missing?

You are missing that there is no lateral force on the helicopter whatsoever. You are the one introducing unnecessary forces when Occam's razor suggests otherwise.

2 minutes ago, koti said:

We are subjected to the centrifugal force trying to throw us off earth do to rotation. The rotational force is just not powerful enough to do it.

How convenient.

1,675 kmh rotation and I can play golf on a perfect day with no breeze.

16 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

How convenient.

Exactly. The centrifugal force at the equator is only about 1/289 of gravity. 

Edited by koti

17 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

You are missing that there is no lateral force on the helicopter whatsoever.

No - that's exactly the point - there are no lateral forces on the helicopter.... so it continues to travel with the earth in the direction it was already going when in contact with the surface after it takes off.   What do you expect to happen to a chopper on take off then?

34 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

I didn't say anything about that, as I hadn't got that far.

I tend to work through in easy stages (without preconceptions).
This was the beginning.

But if you don't want my help that's OK with me.

1 hour ago, Scotty99 said:

Why?

25 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

You are missing that there is no lateral force on the helicopter whatsoever. You are the one introducing unnecessary forces when Occam's razor suggests otherwise.

No lateral force. So why is there an issue with it hovering? 

The earth's surface has a velocity from rotation, and the helicopter, and the atmosphere, have that same velocity. There is no relative motion.

58 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

The "anomaly" only exists in your head.

Indeed. Why not calculate how great that force is and compare it with gravity?

No. It is evidence that everything is rotating at the same speed. (Including the air around you. On average.)

43 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

Don't most people get over this when they are about 6?

Edited by Strange

1 minute ago, JacobsLadder said:

Perhaps you might want to consider the example of the parachutist?

How about sticking to the helicopter  -  do you understand it now it has been explained? No lateral forces keeping it at speed with the Earth as it is already at same speed.  What do you not understand about that?

4 minutes ago, DrP said:

How about sticking to the helicopter  -  do you understand it now it has been explained? No lateral forces keeping it at speed with the Earth as it is already at same speed.  What do you not understand about that?

There is nothing more to be said. We agree on that point.

I pointed out first there is no lateral force.

My explanation is simple. It is your explanation that involves unnecessary complication.

Occam's razor says I am right.