How to Clove Steam Distillation?

runasyrst

I'm doing Steam distillation of clove for making of clove oil, but at the end of Steam distillation i only got water, Please guide me in details method of clove oil Steam distillation.

Edited by runasyrst

9 hours ago, rangerx said:

Have you tried ethanol?

In what way would that be helpful?

9 hours ago, runasyrst said:

I'm doing Steam distillation of clove for making of clove oil, but at the end of Steam distillation i only got water, Please guide me in details method of clove oil Steam distillation.

Can you give us more details about what you did?

4 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

In what way would that be helpful?

Lower temperature and greater solubility of medicinal components. The distillate can be recycled and the remaining concentration is readily mixed into other oils.

31 minutes ago, rangerx said:

Lower temperature and greater solubility of medicinal components. The distillate can be recycled and the remaining concentration is readily mixed into other oils.

All the OP would distil is ethanol in this case. Greater solubility doesn't necessarily help when you are distilling. You are thinking of other extraction techniques. Steam distillation in this context allows for (I believe) azeotropic removal of desired components, which otherwise have very high boiling points.  

Ethanol is a great extraction solvent but it doesn't do  a good job of "steam distilling" because it has a lower boiling point and a much higher molecular weight.

Also another  advantage to water is that it hardly dissolves the clove oil- you can separate the oil easily without having to remove solvent.