Trump Calls Comey "Untruthful Slime Ball"

Airbrush

1 minute ago, iNow said:

My feelings are not so simplistic, myopic, or monolithic. 

Either you have a positive opinion of him or a negative opinion of him.

You can like certain things and dislike others, however, they always lead to either a positive or negative opinion of someone.

Depends if the good outweighs the bad typically.

7 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

Either you have a positive opinion of him or a negative opinion of him.

Comey is the same man who averted the signing of a domestic surveillance program when AG Gonzales tried to get Ashcroft to sign approval paperwork while in critical condition in the hospital.

He’s the same man who helped thousands of families in NY by taking down the Gambino crime family.

He’s been a storybook Boy Scout who served his country well for his entire career, one that was inspired by a breakin at his house while a teenager and a deep desire to protect other families and help children feel safe.

But he’s also human and humans make mistakes. He’s a good man who has served us well, but he also made a colossal mistake (as humans sometimes do). 

Stop trying to force me into an unrealistic binary choice or to satisfy your false dichotomy. My feelings about Comey are mixed and my opinion complex. It’s nuanced, which you as a bright young man should hopefully appreciate and understand. 

Edited by iNow

Just now, iNow said:

Stop trying to force me into an unrealistic binary choice or to satisfy your false dichotomy. 

What you see as unrealistic I see as apparent with this:

1 minute ago, iNow said:

Comey isn’t the same man who averted the signing of a domestic surveillance program when AG Gonzales tried to get Ashcroft to sign approval paperwork while in critical condition in the hospital. He’s the same man who helped thousands of families in NY by taking down the Gambino crime family. He’s been a storybook Boy Scout who served his country well for his entire career, one that was inspired by a breakin at his house while a teenager and a deep desire to protect other families and help children feel safe.

I'd say your overall opinion of him is that he's a good man.

17 minutes ago, iNow said:

Yeah, I agree. Rangers comments seem... untethered to reality.

The Comey situation is complex. The left is upset with him for making a colossal mistake that likely played a significant role in putting Trump in office under questionable circumstances. The right is upset with him because he has access to facts that may lead Trump to get removed from office and possibly convicted. 

One side is upset with actions he took. Another side is upset with actions he might one day take. One side is commenting on actions. Another side is preemptively attacking character and credibly (attack them precisely where they’re strongest!) to tribally protect one of “their own.”

Not. At all. The same. 

He was fired by the Right, called a slime ball by the Right, labelled a leaker by the Right, and POTUS was just claiming yesterday that Comey broke the law so there is a chance the Right may demand Comey be investigated. All the Left did was lament about the time of an announcement. The Right actively tried to hijack Comey's investigation while he was in office and have since taken his career from him and actively worked to soil his his reputation. Degree matters. To the degree that it impacts Comey's life and the FBI as an organizations the Left vs Right's objections and treatment of Comey exist of separate scales. 

17 minutes ago, iNow said:

Comey is the same man who averted the signing of a domestic surveillance program when AG Gonzales tried to get Ashcroft to sign approval paperwork while in critical condition in the hospital.

He’s the same man who helped thousands of families in NY by taking down the Gambino crime family.

He’s been a storybook Boy Scout who served his country well for his entire career, one that was inspired by a breakin at his house while a teenager and a deep desire to protect other families and help children feel safe.

But he’s also human and humans make mistakes. He’s a good man who has served us well, but he also made a colossal mistake (as humans sometimes do). 

Stop trying to force me into an unrealistic binary choice or to satisfy your false dichotomy. My feelings about Comey are mixed and my opinion complex. It’s nuanced, which you as a bright young man should hopefully appreciate and understand. 

I think in general moving forward, once we are past this constitutional crisis, Congress needs to update ethic standards and regulations to prevent law enforcement and intelligence organization to be used for blatant political gain. The whole Clinton email investigation was nonsense to begin with and partisans in Congress basically forced agencies to waste time and resources on it. Obama probably carries some blame here too. He could have shut it down. Obama could have to claim executive privileged and prevented Congress from hauling Clinton and her staff in for testimony and what not. Like Comey Obama was afraid of the blow back. Obama was afraid of the optics. Looking back such caution seems so quaint and naive. Things have really changed demonstrably in a short period of time.    

8 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

I think in general moving forward, once we are past this constitutional crisis, Congress needs to update ethic standards and regulations to prevent law enforcement and intelligence organization to be used for blatant political gain. The whole Clinton email investigation was nonsense to begin with and partisans in Congress basically forced agencies to waste time and resources on it. Obama probably carries some blame here too. He could have shut it down. Obama could have to claim executive privileged and prevented Congress from hauling Clinton and her staff in for testimony and what not. Like Comey Obama was afraid of the blow back. Obama was afraid of the optics. Looking back such caution seems so quaint and naive. Things have really changed demonstrably in a short period of time.    

I don't think Obama should have shut it down. It would have been essentially the same thing Trump is doing as of now, but with different motives.

However, the left believe all the investigations into Hilliary were for political gain with no evidence and the investigations into Trump are all well founded with evidence.

The right believes the exact opposite: the investigations into Hilliary were well founded and the investigations into Trump are all for political gain.

10 hours ago, Phi for All said:

This is really unfortunate, and frustrating. Blinders will help you keep doubt from casting shadows, but they're not smart to wear often.

My objections about Comey (thanks for the citation) had nothing to do with lying. At the time I questioned his timing on announcing further investigations so close to the election. It had an impact, and Comey admits he knew it would, but his alternative was risking worse blowback later. I think Comey interfered in the election, but not in the way Putin did. In no way did I mean to suggest then or now that there was a collaboration between them.

It is just a false equivalency. Some people seem unable to acknowledge corruption less they can float the notion that all sides do it. Clinton's email controversy started in 2012 (was known about far back as 09') and continues to this day. Clinton has testified, been investigated by Inspector General, Congressional intelligence and ethics committees, FBI, and DOJ. No crime has been proven in 6yrs of exhaustive inquiry. Meanwhile in just under a year of the Mueller investigation, set in motion by the firing of Comey, there has already been charges filed against 19 people 5 of whom have pleaded guilty. The Clinton email scandal was a partisan ruse. Even today with Republicans controlling every branch Clinton investigations continue in futility. It is fair to criticize Comey's role in temporarily legitimizing the farce while remaining objective about his character overall. It is not he (Comey) who has repeatedly been caught lying, has associates who have pleaded guilty to federal crimes, or has a motive to lie.