The Nature of philosophy.

Lasse

19 hours ago, koti said:

No. Thats why we don’t teach Nietzche, Kant or quantum mechanics to 5 year olds. You need a certain level of knowledge to be able to understand complex subjects. Or even ask sensible questions. 

You mean that I could not say to my daughter that quantum mechanics studies the functions of the tiniest entities in Nature?

Like what is the smallest thing on earth?...

Edited by Lasse

2 hours ago, Lasse said:

You mean that I could not say to my daughter that quantum mechanics studies the functions of the tiniest entities in Nature?

Like what is the smallest thing on earth?...

Ofcourse you could, and in my opinion you even should (I have kids too) But thats not what „any answer in its fundamentals should be easily explainable to a 5 year old” which you stated means. There are answers which even in their fundamentals are very complex and not easily comprehended without prior knowledge and thats what I meant. I never claimed you shouldn’t explain to your kids what things are. By the way quantum mechanics does not deal only with „smallest things on earth”, in fact physicists mainly use QM to try to make sense of things far away from earth and it would be a good idea you include that in your explanation to your daughter, we wouldn’t want her to end up with false views of things like some people.

Also take a look at the Strawman fallacy and avoid it in the future:

„Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument”

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/169/Strawman-Fallacy

Edited by koti

19 minutes ago, koti said:

Ofcourse you could, and in my opinion you even should (I have kids too) But thats not what „any answer in its fundamentals should be easily explainable to a 5 year old” which you stated means. There are answers which even in their fundamentals are very complex and not easily comprehended without prior knowledge. The fact that quantum mechanics does not deal only with „smallest things on earth” not being one of them. 

If you know something you always can pick 5-6 simple points which connects it to the kids relative reality :)

Edited by Lasse

3 hours ago, Lasse said:

If you know something you always can pick 5-6 simple points which connects it to the kids relative reality :)

So how would you explain (or would you even want to) to a 5 year old Nietzsche’s suspission towards values which can serve weakness by pretending nobleness, undeniability, truism? Or that compassion is a form of blackmail of the weak towards the strong and is a step away from contempt? 

Edited by koti

• 3 weeks later...