Cost, death, benefit analysis...

dimreepr

44 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

The conundrum comes when supporting one person may adversely effect another person. Lets take a silly example that some treatment to sustain your life for possibly 6 more months costs a million pounds. There are 60 people waiting for a hip operation who will have to wait years longer in pain and disability if your treatment is approved. 

What I recognized, that lately not really the money (one has insurance or not)  rather the lack of competent doctor and his/her time is the limiting factor....

51 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

health providers do have to make these sorts of decisions at some point. Any one individual cannot be given primacy in the system because the system is comprised of a great many individuals.

I assume you are American? I only ask because i have noticed it is usually Americans who balk the most at the idea that the needs of an individual may be over-ridden by the needs of society. What works in the UK and other parts of the world would not be accepted in the US.

Very true.

I am Europian and everyone in my closer family has working relation to medical sciences :)

I fundamentally believe that we have equal rigths, even we are not equal.

If I am in the state system and my determined position for a knee replacement operation is in 3 month I can not do anything against that. If I have the money, why I would not use the private services? Everyone else has the option to earn and spend money.

42 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Where is it true?

An English aristocrat can live up his heritage using cocain while a gifted counscious kid from Zanzibar can become Freedy Mercury. The system allow the personal development if One has the required need to learn and the talent/intelligence to use the aquired knowledge. 

Obviously that is a benefit if the social, political, economical conditions help this process of learning. 

Edited by Lasse

Everyone has the option to learn, develop, work, experience, think, create (equal rights) but not everyone has the right personal attributes or physical circumstances. (we are different=we are not equal). 

Based on how aware you are about your knowledge, how much you know how to use it, and  how to further develop it, will you have a (constantly changing) place in our society. As benefitial your knowledge is for the society, as much economical advance you have...  

Edited by Lasse

2 minutes ago, zapatos said:

If you don't have the physical circumstances to work, then how is working an option for you?

Get the social support. I am happy to help that with my taxes. 

We could bring 7.6 billion different examples. 

I think often the work and economical value allocation fails by the state and the political leadership, if it is not working somewhere. I am fortunate enought to live in a stabil country, with good social services. I take my part in that system, it does not work from itself....

42 minutes ago, zapatos said:

So anyone who is physically unable to work, can access available social services and then begin working?

Yes. If that can be an option.

If not, than it is medical care without required work, (in case One is disabled since borned or can not work again). This is how it is working today mainly. 

Edited by Lasse