Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cheetaman

T/F, flea cant live on the body of horses?

Recommended Posts

Fleas don't live on the bodies of animals. Horses don't have nests or beds, so there is nowhere for the fleas to live, so horses rarely get fleas.

What is "T/F"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fleas live on the body of dogs, they have to get off to lay eggs but they definitely spend their lives on dogs..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Fleas live on the body of dogs, they have to get off to lay eggs but they definitely spend their lives on dogs..  

Hmmm... that goes against everything I have ever read. I was under the impression they spend most of their time in carpets, bedding and the environment. 

I have just googled this to check and there are websites saying they do spend most of their lives on dogs and others saying they don't!. I can't be bothered to try and find a reputable source to see which is correct.  So I am happy to concede I was (probably/possibly) wrong. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Strange said:

Hmmm... that goes against everything I have ever read. I was under the impression they spend most of their time in carpets, bedding and the environment. 

I have just googled this to check and there are websites saying they do spend most of their lives on dogs and others saying they don't!. I can't be bothered to try and find a reputable source to see which is correct.  So I am happy to concede I was (probably/possibly) wrong. :)

I think this is a misconception based on the fact that only a small amount of the lifestyle of fleas is the adult form. Much more time is spent as egg/larvae/pupae. Since eggs are often shed from the carriers and they therefore spent most of that time outside of the host.

Edited by CharonY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CharonY said:

I think this is a misconception based on the fact that only a small amount of the lifestyle of fleas is the adult form.

That makes sense. (I'm guessing you mean "lifecycle"? But the idea of fleas choosing this as their lifestyle does rather appeal...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, meant lifecycle. Interestingly, lifestyle is actually more commonly used when discussing bacterial pathogenicity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Strange said:

Hmmm... that goes against everything I have ever read. I was under the impression they spend most of their time in carpets, bedding and the environment. 

I have just googled this to check and there are websites saying they do spend most of their lives on dogs and others saying they don't!. I can't be bothered to try and find a reputable source to see which is correct.  So I am happy to concede I was (probably/possibly) wrong. :)

 

It's purely anecdotal on my part. I remember the first time I gave my dogs the flea pills, I found out a large population of fleas were living on my dogs head! Hundreds of fleas suddenly popped out of his fur on the top of his head. The vet said they live there because the dog has a difficult time scratching. On my dogs, basset hounds,  fleas have a field day on their hind quarters as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.