T/F, flea cant live on the body of horses?

cheetaman

16 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Fleas live on the body of dogs, they have to get off to lay eggs but they definitely spend their lives on dogs..  

Hmmm... that goes against everything I have ever read. I was under the impression they spend most of their time in carpets, bedding and the environment. 

I have just googled this to check and there are websites saying they do spend most of their lives on dogs and others saying they don't!. I can't be bothered to try and find a reputable source to see which is correct.  So I am happy to concede I was (probably/possibly) wrong. :)

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Hmmm... that goes against everything I have ever read. I was under the impression they spend most of their time in carpets, bedding and the environment. 

I have just googled this to check and there are websites saying they do spend most of their lives on dogs and others saying they don't!. I can't be bothered to try and find a reputable source to see which is correct.  So I am happy to concede I was (probably/possibly) wrong. :)

I think this is a misconception based on the fact that only a small amount of the lifestyle of fleas is the adult form. Much more time is spent as egg/larvae/pupae. Since eggs are often shed from the carriers and they therefore spent most of that time outside of the host.

Edited by CharonY

22 minutes ago, CharonY said:

I think this is a misconception based on the fact that only a small amount of the lifestyle of fleas is the adult form.

That makes sense. (I'm guessing you mean "lifecycle"? But the idea of fleas choosing this as their lifestyle does rather appeal...)

8 hours ago, Strange said:

It's purely anecdotal on my part. I remember the first time I gave my dogs the flea pills, I found out a large population of fleas were living on my dogs head! Hundreds of fleas suddenly popped out of his fur on the top of his head. The vet said they live there because the dog has a difficult time scratching. On my dogs, basset hounds,  fleas have a field day on their hind quarters as well.