A Discovery that Shook the World:

beecee

LIGO and Virgo seem to have been quite of late, so I thought I would peak in...:)

I hope most find the following interesting if not entirely new....

LIGO: A Discovery that Shook the World:

This is the third video in Advanced LIGO Documentary Project's eight-part series on LIGO's historic discovery of gravitational waves and the birth of the new age of gravitational wave astronomy. In August 2017, LIGO and its Italian partner, VIRGO, made a discovery as important as its historic first detection of gravitational waves in 2015. They detected gravitational waves from two colliding neutron stars, which ejected a spectacular gamma ray burst that was seen by seven space-based telescopes and dozens of astronomical observatories on earth. It was the long dreamed-of marriage of gravitational wave astronomy with conventional astronomy, and the results were spectacular.

https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/video/LIGO-a-discover-that-shook-the-world

The video is around 16 minutes long.

On 12/04/2018 at 10:49 AM, beecee said:

What hyperbole is that? Pretty spectacular stuff in my book.

Must we describe everything as an earth shattering discovery when it clearly isn't?

How are we going to describe a truly earth shattering discovery if you allow this kind of description to become commonplace?

2 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

Must we describe everything as an earth shattering discovery when it clearly isn't?

It is an important result: it opens up the a lot of possibilities for new a type of astronomy. The detection of gravitational waves could be the most significant development in astronomy/cosmology so far this century.

However, you seem to have missed the real point: "the discovery that shook [not shattered] the world" is a reference to the literal meaning that the gravitational waves did indeed shake the world.

1 hour ago, JacobsLadder said:

How are we going to describe a truly earth shattering discovery if you allow this kind of description to become commonplace?

It's opened up an entirely new way at researching the universe/spacetime and cosmology in general. It has validated another aspect of GR, and of course BH's themselves. Yes, a discovery that has literally shook the universe/spacetime...six times so far!

54 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

Yes, I  understood it was a wordplay

I think you are getting a bit carried away nonetheless.

Perhaps its your own "mission/crusade that need be examined. A great discovery that has literally shook the universe/spacetime, six times and confirmed GR, and BH's. And of course confirmed in three getting the Nobel prize for the discovery.

5 hours ago, JacobsLadder said:

Common place?  I honestly didn't think we'd ever see anything like this in my lifetime and it is totally amazing!  2 BHs colliding? Gravity waves? Commonplace?   I don't think you realise just how amazing the detection was. 1 to have even detected it I the first place, 2 - to actually work out what it was and fit it in with our understanding of the universe.

I am starting to think that you probably don't believe that they were black holes or gravity waves seeing as you think that the Earth is the centre of the universe and is totally motionless. How does your world view get so distorted and confused? Do you go to a club or something where they teach you all these misconception?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.