What are the primary benefits of being in an interracial/intercultural marriage/relationship with someone of opposite gender?

mad_scientist

What are the primary benefits of being in an interracial

Exchange of genes, and genetic material, between people who are not close relatives, like it might happen in closed society (e.g. village, town, island, sect, orthodox religious people who forbade contacts with people from other religions).

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, DrP said:

What 'cons' are you referring too?

Some of them might be living outside of a xenophobic culture which in effect can lead to more insight on other cultures and broaden ones views. Im sure this can be a major con for certain people.

1 hour ago, koti said:

Some of them might be living outside of a xenophobic culture which in effect can lead to more insight on other cultures and broaden ones views. Im sure this can be a major con for certain people.

Yea - I am not sure I'll get an answer from MS - looking at the last half a dozen threads he has started he just asks a question that has some underlying connection to his beliefs about race and doesn't reply.  Shame - I'd be interested to hear what he thinks are the 'cons' of mixed race relations that he stated were there in the OP without explaining. Whatever he come out with I would bet it is going to be horrid and nose scrunchingly offensive. :-( 

5 hours ago, mad_scientist said:

If so, do the pros outweigh the cons?

Of course, the pros outweigh the cons: 

Pros, two people get to continue a clearly very strong relationship, enjoy that relationship and what Sensei said; and people who hate make themselves a target. 

Cons, people who hate get a target.

So, as you can see, it's a stupid bloody question.

The major benefits would appear to be the same as attach to any relationship. If I were a concert pianist and married a Brazilian cellist I would have much more in common with her than if I married a punk rocker with a drug habit who was raied in the same town as me.

Same for the major cons. People are different and the significance of some of the differences may not emerge until some considerable distance into the relationship.

@mad_scientist What are your views on the matter? (Another member has made the suggestion you are unlikely to reply. I would not advise that approach.)

There are no advantages, nor any disadvantages.
The only thing that matters to a long-lasting relationship is that you get along.

( I guess I'm really hard to get along with; longest relationship was three yrs )

On 28/03/2018 at 8:00 PM, DrP said:

What 'cons' are you referring too?

Well, if all your family are of a particular ethnic group and you marry someone from another ethnic group, in-laws may not be able to get along with each other or not as well as if the person was from a similar background.

If you have any children and they are mixed race it will be harder for them to find a compatible donor should they require a bone marrow transplant or possibly other transplants I don't know about.

The children may also not completely belong to either paternal or maternal families through lack of cultural awareness and language abilities in either language to communicate well enough with either sides of the family.

Mixed race children/third culture kids may find it lonely being who they are and may find it harder to find a future spouse of their own when they grow up due to their unique upbringing making it harder for someone else to completely understand them and why they are the way they are if they have travelled a lot and have been accepted by both extended maternal and paternal family members.

Edited by mad_scientist

3 hours ago, mad_scientist said:

Well, if all your family are of a particular ethnic group and you marry someone from another ethnic group, in-laws may not be able to get along with each other or not as well as if the person was from a similar background.

If you have any children and they are mixed race it will be harder for them to find a compatible donor should they require a bone marrow transplant or possibly other transplants I don't know about.

The children may also not completely belong to either paternal or maternal families through lack of cultural awareness and language abilities in either language to communicate well enough with either sides of the family.

Mixed race children/third culture kids may find it lonely being who they are and may find it harder to find a future spouse of their own when they grow up due to their unique upbringing making it harder for someone else to completely understand them and why they are the way they are if they have travelled a lot and have been accepted by both extended maternal and paternal family members.

Do you live in a cellar?

2 hours ago, mad_scientist said:

In your opinion but you do not speak for all of SFN.

I think it was a pretty objective statement.

21 minutes ago, mad_scientist said:

How are they not good cons for interracial/intercultural marriage/relationship?

Because they are based on a bizarre lack of knowledge of how people behave. Which is why I assume you live in a cellar and get your understanding of human nature from sit-coms.