about humour

Itoero

3 hours ago, Ten oz said:

Comedy is a from of Art. Different forms of Art move people different ways. I personally like self deprecating humor where one satirically looks at their own life. I generally do not like comedians who mock or are sarcastic towards external things. As an Art form I do not believe humor deserves any special leeway. The author of a joke is as accountable for the content of their material  as are painters, songwriters, novelists, and etc. I think we have all seen humor used to help heal emotion wounds and used to cause emotional words. On play grounds all over the world kids get laughs making fun up their peers with disabilities or those who are different.

The age-old question, when does a joke go too far? This guy sums it up quite well.

The laughter created doesn't change the cruelty involved. 

No-one likes a bully, but that sparks another question since we're grown-ups, when is truth cruel?

The first 15 minutes, sums it up for me.

Edited by dimreepr

57 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

No-one likes a bully, but that sparks another question since we're grown-ups, when is truth cruel?

Speaking of that ....thank you for not making fun of all the typos in my post. :lol::lol:

On ‎22‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 6:23 PM, Strange said:

I suspect it was intended to do more than make people laugh. It is satirising those viewpoints. 

Ok but satire is only part of it and most shows are simply not satiric. And it doesn't matter what you call satire and what not...it's about making jokes about serious stuf, which do not have to be morally correct. like this one: -How do you call an adoption child in/from China? -A take away Chinese.

On ‎22‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 9:49 PM, koti said:

Mr Bean (or even Rowan Atkinson) is taking a political stance with this sketch. One that is strictly against UK 80’s right wing racism and xenophobia. Its actually funny how he makes fun of racists in this sketch. I guess you could laugh at the words coming out of his mouth without understanding the context nor the meaning of the jokes but that would be pathetic. 

So it's pathetic to laugh at a joke if you don't know the context? Only people that know of UK 80’s right wing racism and xenophobia should laugh at that joke? Do people agree with this???

In 'Amazing Jesus' he just makes fun of the Jesus-story....

On ‎27‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 3:58 PM, dimreepr said:

The age-old question, when does a joke go too far? This guy sums it up quite well.

A joke goes to far when you think it goes to far...

Edited by Itoero

On ‎24‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 1:30 AM, Phi for All said:

I think it's funny, but not for the reasons you listed in your OP. I don't agree with any of that. Saying something that will make a person laugh doesn't make it a joke.

So jokes have to be morally correct according to your opinion?  You are American...

Edited by Itoero

5 hours ago, Itoero said:

So it's pathetic to laugh at a joke if you don't know the context? Only people that know of UK 80’s right wing racism and xenophobia should laugh at that joke? Do people agree with this???

I must rephrase because as you noted my previous post might have been inaccurate or at least incomplete - Its not pathetic, its being a complete idiot. 

52 minutes ago, Itoero said:

So jokes have to be morally correct according to your opinion?  You are American...

That is extremely rude, you’re lucky Phi’s got lots of class. You’re only hurting your own image with such remarks. Unless you’re in the wrong neighbourhood in real life and say something like that...then you might be in for more hurt than just your persona image. 

Edited by koti

6 hours ago, Itoero said:

Ok but satire is only part of it and most shows are simply not satiric.

It's almost like you are not replying to what people said. No one said most or all comedy is satirical. But the example provided is satirical. It isn't funny because it includes racist statements, it is funny because it pokes fun at those who make such statements.

it's about making jokes about serious stuf, which do not have to be morally correct. like this one: -How do you call an adoption child in/from China? -A take away Chinese.

They also have to be funny, which that one spectacularly fails at. (Unless you are 12, perhaps. Or am I being unfair to 12 year olds?)

So it's pathetic to laugh at a joke if you don't know the context? Only people that know of UK 80’s right wing racism and xenophobia should laugh at that joke?

Oddly, no one claimed any of those things. Are you trying to use rhetorical fallacies as a source of humour? It isn't working.

5 hours ago, Itoero said:

I don't know what morals or nationality have to do with the point of mine you quoted. You really seem to have an agenda with this one, like you're working from a script and not really reading replies.

Something that makes another person laugh is not necessarily a joke, just as putting a frame around your napkin drawing doesn't necessarily make it a painting. Just because a few people laugh at something, that doesn't make it funny, and that's what a joke really needs. 

To me, being funny is like singing, and a joke is an artistic expression of being funny the way a song is an artistic expression of singing. The lines are pretty clear between what is truly funny or satirical and what purposely dances off into the shocking, offensive, or absurd. I think your view of humor is immature, and lacks subtlety and depth. It seems based on something ugly, something that delights in offending for its own sake, and for me that destroys any art that might be appreciated. Slapstick and shock tactics can be fun, but it's a junk food comedy diet, and many people work hard to develop more sophisticated tastes. 

Strange posted a great one in the Jokes section recently that fits all my requirements, and he did it in an off-hand way that made it like finding a twenty in an old coat pocket. A woman walks into a bar and asks the barman for a Double Entendre. So he gives her one.

On ‎29‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 3:05 AM, Phi for All said:

Something that makes another person laugh is not necessarily a joke, just as putting a frame around your napkin drawing doesn't necessarily make it a painting. Just because a few people laugh at something, that doesn't make it funny, and that's what a joke really needs. 

A joke is a display of humour. You call something a joke when you feel its fitting to call it a joke... In Flanders(Dutch part of Belgium) and Holland we obviously laugh at stuff other people find offensive.  My dad once read somewhere we tend to laugh at more because we were (through history) as a country often suppressed .        Thanks for that comment, you have indeed a lot of class...especially after my reply.

On ‎29‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 6:09 PM, Hypsibius said:

I find rape jokes sick. Does that entitle me to a green card?

There is this video about a seal fucking a Pinguin. We laugh at the fact that a big mammal is fucking a bird. We don't laugh at rape.

On ‎28‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 9:58 PM, koti said:

must rephrase because as you noted my previous post might have been inaccurate or at least incomplete - Its not pathetic, its being a complete idiot. 

Why do you insult me? Immigration and racism is an issue in many countries you know...

4 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Turns out we can...

I have to get used to the concept but he's funny:)

I mean we don't laugh at rape in the video of the seal. Rape is also a relative word in the animal kingdom. Males often force their gender inside.

There are two issues here:

1. What kind of influence, if any, morally politically incorrect jokes have? 

2. What is funny?

The answer to the first question is probably not known yet and need further research, as I noted before.

The answer to the second question is: there is no measure to taste. There is only mainstream and fringe, just like with art, music, movies, etc. The debate over what is art and whatnot is thus neverending despite what any experts or authorities might say, simply because they cannot prove their claims ie. this is not art or this is not funny. 

4 minutes ago, tuco said:

The answer to the second question is: there is no measure to taste.

I disagree, I can laugh at the video I presented because of the method of delivery, whereas I can't imagine a method of delivery that would make me laugh if the described rape is cruel, brutal and lethal.

There is always a line, we may not be able to pinpoint it, but it's there.

If you disagree, present method for "measuring taste", in this case, present scientific method which would distinguish funny and unfunny jokes. 

Who cares what makes you laugh? I certainly do not.

Meaning of the phrase: there is no measure to taste, is that it's not possible to objectively determine which taste is good and which is bad, what is funny and whatnot. Why that is is obvious. 

4 minutes ago, tuco said:

If you disagree, present method for "measuring taste"

I have.

5 minutes ago, tuco said:

in this case, present scientific method which would distinguish funny and unfunny jokes. 

25 minutes ago, tuco said:

there is no measure to taste.

You first.

11 minutes ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

Commentary on what you post is fair game. 

So it's ok to insult someone when he deserves it according to your opinion?

If you think someone acts like a ***, his feelings don't matter?

Forgive me for making this forum such a dirty place.