Geometry assistance

Gratiano

Greetings lads!

I am looking for a mathematician to assist me with geometry. I am running a project in order to promote the greatness of mathematics and more or less I would like to have euclidean geometry "re-written", in a way that it will be more approachable to school students as well as adult students. 

I am currently trying to write down 50 simple questions to establish the project upon. If there is any mathematician willing to assist me, that would be outstanding! 

Regards

46 minutes ago, Gratiano said:

Greetings lads!

I am looking for a mathematician to assist me with geometry. I am running a project in order to promote the greatness of mathematics and more or less I would like to have euclidean geometry "re-written", in a way that it will be more approachable to school students as well as adult students. 

I am currently trying to write down 50 simple questions to establish the project upon. If there is any mathematician willing to assist me, that would be outstanding! 

Regards

Mathematics already has several alternative approaches to 'euclidian' geometry' as well as extensions to it.

So what would yours offer and how would you propose to get education authorities to put it on their curriculum, as schoolboys tend to learn only that which will help them pass their exam, and sometiems not even all of that.

:)

Edit

I see you missed my post by 1 minute before leaving.

Here are a couple of references you might find useful.

E.A. Maxwell

The School Mathematics project
Geometry by transformation

Cambridge University Press

R.R. Middlemiss

Analytic Geometry

McGraw-Hill

Edited by studiot
add references

True. There are quite a lot. Countless. This time, I would intend to make it a bit different. Looking for the reason behind one's intention to create geometry and the reason that geometry is of vital importance. 

Euclidian geometry is already interesting but the way it is taught in school sucks. Very few people are aware that the geometry of a protein makes it vital. Not all of us are biologists... Unfortunatelly, even fewer have noticed the fact that a straight piece of cable can carry electricity but spiraling it (altering its geometry), will make it capable of storing energy. 

I want something different, something out of the ordinary. I do not intend to change math books in school, I just want to attract people to mathematics. I say to people around that I like mathematics and they think that I am doing calculations... And I have never accepted the miserable fact that in order to pass my exams in calculous I had to calculate integrals but not even one of my professors had any single idea about the idea behind integrals... 

This I must try to change and I need help! :)

Well it was an Italian professor who invented 'The graphical calculus'   - graphical here means geometrical. Graphical integration is easy peasy.

In fact using geometry to perform calculations of all types used to be routine in a drawing office, but has gone out of fashion these days.

It's all to easy to find a 'super thingy calculator' 'on the web. The trouble is if you don't understand it - I wonder if that happened with the recent Florida bridge failure.

Anyway I though you might be interested in a practical hands on approcach.

That is why I recommended Middlemiss.

Edited by studiot