Ritalin prescription for adults

Silvestru

Hello forum,

I have a form of ADHD and I started taking Ritalin for a few weeks.

I commonly hear Ritalin getting prescribed to kids so I was wondering why. Why isn't it so popular for adults?

Are neurologists/psychiatrists reticent in prescribing it for adults?

Thank you! 

I suspect that ADHD is much more frequently diagnosed in kids, which results in less common prescription. That being said, the prescription rate for children as well as adults are known to be rising.

Another aspect is that ritalin has been associated with cardiovascular issues. While in children that is usually not a huge problem, it may increase issues found in adults or after chronic use.

13 hours ago, Silvestru said:

Hello forum,

I have a form of ADHD and I started taking Ritalin for a few weeks.

I commonly hear Ritalin getting prescribed to kids so I was wondering why. Why isn't it so popular for adults?

Are neurologists/psychiatrists reticent in prescribing it for adults?

Thank you! 

I think another part is that parents are more likely to push for Ritalin to be prescribed for their child.

I know a kid whose parents were telling me how much their son needs it while the kid literally has to have his name called 3 times before he'll look up and realize anything going on.

He's slow at everything, you often have to repeat things, and he's definitely not there.

Meanwhile, parents are telling me how much he needs it, and their daughters are doing cartwheels and running around everywhere screaming at the top of their lungs.

I love little kids. I don't mind them doing that. But, seriously, the kids out of it. Way out of it.

I asked the parents once what the doctor had said and they told me they had to get him tested some ridiculous amount of times before a doctor would grudgingly prescribe him it.

Meanwhile, adults may be more likely to turn it down.

This could also be confirmation bias, so take my word with a grain of salt.

Edited by Raider5678