Do octopuses have blood? [YES!]

cheetaman

Yes they do have blood, their blood is based on copper instead of oron like ours and so octopus is a very pale blue... Google is your friend... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus

Circulatory system

Octopuses have a closed circulatory system, where the blood remains inside blood vessels. Octopuses have three hearts; a systemic heart that circulates blood round the body and two branchial hearts that pump it through each of the two gills. The systemic heart is inactive when the animal is swimming and thus it tires quickly and prefers to crawl.[33][34] Octopus blood contains the copper-rich protein haemocyanin to transport oxygen. This makes the blood very viscous and it requires considerable pressure to pump it round the body; octopuses' blood pressures can exceed 75 mmHg.[33][34][35] In cold conditions with low oxygen levels, haemocyanin transports oxygen more efficiently than haemoglobin. The haemocyanin is dissolved in the plasma instead of being carried within blood cells, and gives the blood a bluish colour.[33][34]

The systemic heart has muscular contractile walls and consists of a single ventricle and two atria, one for each side of the body. The blood vessels consist of arteries, capillaries and veins and are lined with a cellular endothelium which is quite unlike that of most other invertebrates. The blood circulates through the aorta and capillary system, to the vena cavae, after which the blood is pumped through the gills by the auxiliary hearts and back to the main heart. Much of the venous system is contractile, which helps circulate the blood.[22]

Only a matter of time now.. 

Edited by Moontanman

Yes they do have blood, their blood is based on copper instead of oron

..............................................................................................................................

That's why they are smarter than humans.

1 hour ago, cheetaman said:

Yes they do have blood, their blood is based on copper instead of oron

..............................................................................................................................

That's why they are smarter than humans.

Ignoring the debatable point whether octopuses are more intelligent or not, many other species (horseshoe crabs, tarantulas, various snails and centipedes) all use the same molecule for oxygen transportation. There is no obvious correlation with intelligence. 

7 hours ago, Strange said:

Ignoring the debatable point whether octopuses are more intelligent or not, many other species (horseshoe crabs, tarantulas, various snails and centipedes) all use the same molecule for oxygen transportation. There is no obvious correlation with intelligence. 

Most of their neurones are in their tentacles. They can act independently, even when severed. This may give the impression they are really intelligent because they appear to be multitasking.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Most of their neurones are in their tentacles. They can act independently, even when severed. This may give the impression they are really intelligent because they appear to be multitasking.

Actually it goes beyond just neurons they actually have a brain in each arm as well as their body. One thing I've often wondered about is that their esophagus actually runs through their brain and if this "bottle neck" has any influence on their brain.  

18 hours ago, Moontanman said:

One thing I've often wondered about is that their esophagus actually runs through their brain and if this "bottle neck" has any influence on their brain.  

That's a tough one to swallow!

This link is for a plethora of vidoes showing, or purporting to show, examples of intelligence in octopuses (octopods,octopi, take your pick).

4 hours ago, Area54 said:

That's a tough one to swallow!

This link is for a plethora of vidoes showing, or purporting to show, examples of intelligence in octopuses (octopods,octopi, take your pick).

The abilities of an Octopus is really only appreciated when you factor in that fact they live rather short lives. Even the very large ones only live less than 5 years and the ones that are tested for intelligence only live less than a year yet they seem to be extremely good and learning new things and even learning from watching other octopus. They display obvious emotions and have a wicked sense of humor. I used to keep octopus, they does some wild things and love odd objects, giving then a small stone makes them go nuts trying to figure out where in the "fortress" they want to put it. Titanium bolts are treated like we would treat gold and ping pong balls piss them off big time. 

I have one in an aquarium at the foot of my bed and one night while making love to my wife he opened the top of the aquarium are shoe me in the butt with a strong jet of water and they went into an amazing color display,I thing he was laughing. 

One octopus would leave his aquarium aquarium and crawl through three freshwater tanks to get to the crayfish tank I was storing his food in.

I finally stopped keeping them because I could not deal with then dying so soon...  

Octopus recover a great part of their food sources into body weight. Upwards of 30%. Giant squids only live 500 days.

Being a mollusk and a gastropod, octopus have histocompatibility with other mollusks and are known to produce pearls, albeit super-rare.

octopus_pearl.jpg

3 minutes ago, rangerx said:

Giant squids only live 500 days.

So if some of them could live 5000 days they would be enormous. That would make a kraken good tale!

Edited by Area54