Batteries for telephones, laptops etc.

fay's unKle

Could someone possibly elaborate on the possibility of using very many 'smaller' batteries on telephones, laptops etc, assembled as one package off course,  than using one, as they do now. Charging them in parallel they would recharge in a minute then using them appropriately to feed the circuit, like in series for example.

8 minutes ago, fay's unKle said:

Could someone possibly elaborate on the possibility of using very many 'smaller' batteries on telephones, laptops etc, assembled as one package off course,  than using one, as they do now. Charging them in parallel they would recharge in a minute then using them appropriately to feed the circuit, like in series for example.

I would suggest you do no such thing. Charging a laptop battery in a minute would cause an explosion. You need to be more specific on what battery type you want to use in what exact device, what current, etc.

36 minutes ago, fay's unKle said:

They do in electric vehicles; there's a few thousand single Li-ion cells in them. I've no idea on the specifics.

46 minutes ago, fay's unKle said:

Connecting large numbers of cells in parallel requires complex and precise control to charge and discharge them safely. You need to ensure the current draw from each call is carefully controlled and balanced. You need to monitor the temperature and health of each cell and adjust the current in and out appropriately. Electric cars devote several microprocessors just to managing the batteries.

Doing it without that is extremely dangerous, given the large amount of energy stored.

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

You need to monitor the temperature.....

I don't like this

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

Doing it without that is extremely dangerous, given the large amount of energy stored.

Let's have more faith to tech (and science if any research must be done). Who wouldn't want to see this ?

1 minute ago, fay's unKle said:

I don't like this

It is essential. The cells get hot (especially the ones in the middle). If you don't monitor this and use it to manage the current (and, if necessary, shut down the array) then you will have a fire or explosion on your hands.

18 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

there's a few thousand single Li-ion cells in them

Thank you, I haven't heard  anything before

7 minutes ago, Strange said:

It is essential. The cells get hot (especially the ones in the middle). If you don't monitor this and use it to manage the current (and, if necessary, shut down the array) then you will have a fire or explosion on your hands.

Is it to much to ask you if they ought to have tried/done it.  It's so essential and it would be a necessity. Do you think 9your gut feelings) it's technogy issues  or economics ?  (and also mobile phone to be sold with two batteries, but going from the empty one to the next without burden)

21 minutes ago, fay's unKle said:

Thank you, I haven't heard  anything before

Is it to much to ask you if they ought to have tried/done it.  It's so essential and it would be a necessity. Do you think 9your gut feelings) it's technogy issues  or economics ?  (and also mobile phone to be sold with two batteries, but going from the empty one to the next without burden)

Here's a 24kWh battery for cars. It's  about $14000. It's probably got about 4000 18650 batteries in it. Think about the problems of getting rid of the heat in the middle of that box. It's a serious engineering exercise.

enerdel-mp320-049-battery-pack-built-for

19 hours ago, fay's unKle said:

Is it to much to ask you if they ought to have tried/done it.

As I say, it is an essential part of battery management for electric cars.

19 hours ago, fay's unKle said:

and also mobile phone to be sold with two batteries, but going from the empty one to the next without burden

You can easily do that. I used to carry a spare battery for my old Nokia.

Nowadays, it is probably easier to carry a power-brick and recharge the phone from that.