Deputy arrests ex-wife

EdEarl

Newsweek

A Facebook post sent two women to jail for a few hours, but a Georgia court said that the arrest wasn’t constitutional, CNN reported Friday.

Corey King, a sheriff’s deputy working in Washington County, Georgia, was upset about a 2015 Facebook post by his ex-wife, Anne King. The post read, "That moment when everyone in your house has the flu and you ask your kid's dad to get them (not me) more Motrin and Tylenol and he refuses." She added an emoticon to show she was "feeling overwhelmed."

Control freaks are drawn to politics and law enforcement. How can this kind of crap be stopped.

Edited by EdEarl

8 minutes ago, EdEarl said:

Control freaks are drawn to politics and law enforcement. How this kind of crap be stopped.

History shows their demise is built in, blessed are those who believe without seeing; nothing to do with god BTW. People are good people by default they just need a reason to have faith, in people. 

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

History shows their demise is built in, blessed are those who believe without seeing; nothing to do with god BTW. People are good people by default they just need a reason to have faith, in people. 

My experience is that on average, people are bad by default.

2 hours ago, EdEarl said:

Control freaks are drawn to politics and law enforcement. How can this kind of crap be stopped.

It seems similar to how the best administrators all have a healthy dose of OCD. The key is to keep it controlled and working for you. It's like making a fire, once you get it going you need to keep watching it constantly or it's going to get away from you because that's its nature. 

13 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

As long as humans have any form of control in the government, there will be mistakes, bad decisions, and misguided people in power.

Humans aren't perfect.

That's how it can be perpetuated, not stopped. To be stopped, you can't just write it off as human nature or status quo. You need to recognize it's a problem with humans and compensate accordingly. In this case, regulation (gasp, I know) seems to be the key. More regular mental health screenings for police officers. Make the politicians get them as well. And tighten the laws so corrupt extremists aren't allowed to easily mess with the system. 

It's the extremists and people who shouldn't be in office that are fighting against regulation, and they get a lot of collateral support from the gov-stay-out-of-my-business crowd.

1 minute ago, Phi for All said:

That's how it can be perpetuated, not stopped. To be stopped, you can't just write it off as human nature or status quo. You need to recognize it's a problem with humans and compensate accordingly. In this case, regulation (gasp, I know) seems to be the key. More regular mental health screenings for police officers. Make the politicians get them as well. And tighten the laws so corrupt extremists aren't to mess with the system. 

It's my belief that it can't be stopped. I'm not saying we shouldn't prevent it by taking measures, however, this is rare.

Maybe you don't believe me, however, I assure you. This is not happening in every town, city, state. 

Additionally, this seemed like a personal grudge against his ex-wife, not something he'd randomly arrest everyone for. I highly doubt this would have shown up in his mental health screening. Perhaps this could have been prevented, but it's not like her life was utterly ruined and destroyed.

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Rare? WTF, it happens every single time.

What happens every single time?

I'm certain you're not trying to insinuate that every single police officer or town deputy gets out of control.

Please clarify.

And to not get into the definition argument, by rare I meant relatively. It happens often enough that we notice, yes, however when you look at the number of police officers who abuse their position compared to how many their are, you'll find a different story.

Edited by Raider5678

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Are you?

I think if you did a poll of those who know me best you would hear that I'm generally a good person by nature.

There are a lot of obviously bad people in the world, and many of those who behave well do so because they were trained well, or because it is in their best interest. If people didn't have to worry about consequences I believe we'd have a much more honest view of others. A well respected college professor was recently recorded (much to her chagrin) telling a young family to "go back home" because they appeared to be of Asian heritage. If she could preach her beliefs to her students without fear of retribution I think she would.

7 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

My view is that, if people were bad by default, the species wouldn't have got this far.

My  observation is that most people are good.

I'd agree with Zapatos.

People are bad by default, but the bad parts of people don't always overlap. So individually, this species wouldn't have gotten far, but socially, it was already regulated.

Additionally, it's not like the bad person doesn't realize what he's doing is bad, he typically realizes and tries not to do it.

Take a chronic liar for example. He typically knows it's bad to lie, but he still does it.

11 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

I'd agree with Zapatos.

People are bad by default, but the bad parts of people don't always overlap. So individually, this species wouldn't have gotten far, but socially, it was already regulated.

Additionally, it's not like the bad person doesn't realize what he's doing is bad, he typically realizes and tries not to do it.

Take a chronic liar for example. He typically knows it's bad to lie, but he still does it.

I disagree with every single statement here. The idea that a small minority of good people could impose rules to force everyone else to be half decent is ludicrous. The bad majority in your world would just take over.

I am pretty sure chronic / pathological liars don't know they are lying. They don't even understand the concept of truth. (Take Trump for example, he believes all the things he says are true even when they are factually incorrect and mutually contradictory.)

1 minute ago, Strange said:

I disagree with every single statement here. The idea that a small minority of good people could impose rules to force everyone else to be half decent is ludicrous. The bad majority in your world would just take over.

I am pretty sure chronic / pathological liars don't know they are lying. They don't even understand the concept of truth. (Take Trump for example, he believes all the things he says are true even when they are factually incorrect and mutually contradictory.)

I didn't say there was a small minority of good people who impose rules to force everyone else to be half-decent.

I'm saying people have good parts and bad parts. Some people are really honest, others aren't, some people are really rude, others aren't, some people are control freaks, others aren't, some people are racists, others aren't, some people are sexist, others aren't. Some people steal, other's don't. Etc.

You're telling me you disagree that someone can be part good and part bad?

That everyone has to be entirely evil or entirely bad?

5 hours ago, zapatos said:

My experience is that on average, people are bad by default.

The 'niceness' is a veneer to help acquire whatever it is they are after. :) Only in young children will you see humans at their best and most transparent; they are what they feel at any given moment.

2 hours ago, Strange said:

That is the only thing you have said (here) that I agree with.

Typically dealing in absolutes doesn't work well.

Just saying.

2 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Only in young children will you see humans at their best and most transparent; they are what they feel at any given moment.

I agree.

However, put two toddlers in a room with an entire pile of toys, and just wait how long it takes before they're trying to constantly take what toys the other has.

Replace toddlers with adults, replace room with the world, and the pile of toys with land/power/resources.....

13 hours ago, StringJunky said:

The 'niceness' is a veneer to help acquire whatever it is they are after. :) Only in young children will you see humans at their best and most transparent; they are what they feel at any given moment.

True. Everyone has to exploit someone else in on way or another: some do it" nicely ", kindly and with respect; others with arrogance and contempt - an attitude attributed to some petty officials who have had a little taste of power, however small. ( What Shakespeare, in Hamlet, called "... the insolence of office. " ).

15 hours ago, zapatos said:

I think if you did a poll of those who know me best you would hear that I'm generally a good person by nature.

There are a lot of obviously bad people in the world, and many of those who behave well do so because they were trained well, or because it is in their best interest. If people didn't have to worry about consequences I believe we'd have a much more honest view of others. A well respected college professor was recently recorded (much to her chagrin) telling a young family to "go back home" because they appeared to be of Asian heritage. If she could preach her beliefs to her students without fear of retribution I think she would.

Me too, ( usually ), but circumstances can change very quickly..........https://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl201/modules/Philosophers/Plato/plato_dialogue_the_ring_of_gyges.html 

18 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

What happens every single time?

I'm certain you're not trying to insinuate that every single police officer or town deputy gets out of control.Please clarify.

My mistake, I miss-read your post.

17 hours ago, zapatos said:

I have no doubt, hence my question.

There are a lot of obviously bad people in the world

How many of them would consider themselves bad people?

and many of those who behave well do so because they were trained well, or because it is in their best interest.

1 to 5%, if memory serves, of the population is a sociopath/psychopath, the rest of us do, as you suggest reflect our upbringing, not our default state.

21 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

I'd agree with Zapatos.

Even the "chronic liar" tells the truth most of the time, otherwise how does he order a takeaway?

19 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

Hence my point.

So,  considering just the chronic liar, (who is rare), the  "bad thing" he does is tell lies, he doesn't do that most of the time, and that's the basis for your opinion that most people are evil. (even though he tries not to do it- which is obviously as "good" as he can be in the circumstances.

19 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

So,  considering just the chronic liar, (who is rare), the  "bad thing" he does is tell lies, he doesn't do that most of the time, and that's the basis for your opinion that most people are evil. (even though he tries not to do it- which is obviously as "good" as he can be in the circumstances.

You're overthinking something that is fairly simple.

Nobody is perfect, and typically people, in general, lean towards more selfish behaviors rather than ones that help others.