Deputy arrests ex-wife

EdEarl

6 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Typically, when I ask for help, I get it.

Most of the time I'm OK on my own, so it doesn't matter if most people are "selfish" most of the time. I'm much the same myself.

Good for you.

Just because that's the way it is for you, doesn't mean that's how it is for everyone.

12 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

typically people, in general, lean towards more selfish behaviors rather than ones that help others. 

Is this based on your own behaviour? Or is it the way others treat you?

Either way, it doesn’t appear be true of humanity in general. 

4 hours ago, Strange said:

Is this based on your own behaviour? Or is it the way others treat you?

Either way, it doesn’t appear be true of humanity in general. 

Do you find that the majority of your behaviors in a given day are done primarily to benefit yourself or someone else?

It may be that we are just looking at the terms "selfish" and "good" and "bad" differently.

Perhaps to discuss this in a meaningful way we'd have to start with definitions. For instance I don't think it is a stretch to think that the average person out shopping could find someone else more in need than himself of whatever it is he is buying. You may not find that to be the definition of selfish behavior.

10 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Do you find that the majority of your behaviors in a given day are done primarily to benefit yourself or someone else?

It may be that we are just looking at the terms "selfish" and "good" and "bad" differently.

Perhaps to discuss this in a meaningful way we'd have to start with definitions. For instance I don't think it is a stretch to think that the average person out shopping could find someone else more in need than himself of whatever it is he is buying. You may not find that to be the definition of selfish behavior.

How often do you find a person in more need than you, and would you walk away because you fancy a beer? 

We see people in need every day, but they're not really people, they're pixels on a screen.

Edited by dimreepr

4 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

How often do you find a person in more need than you, and would you walk away, because you fancy a beer? 

I find them nearly every day. If I stopped and helped every one I'd never make it to the pub.

7 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I find it very difficult to believe that you'd walk past a dying person for a beer.  

When did we start talking about dying people? There are people who are homeless for example who I would consider to be in NEED. 

3 minutes ago, zapatos said:

When did we start talking about dying people? There are people who are homeless for example who I would consider to be in NEED. 

When we start talking about people with needs, rather than wants, we are talking about potential mortality.

3 hours ago, zapatos said:

I didn't realise we were talking about me. I thought it was about "people in general".

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

I didn't realise we were talking about me. I thought it was about "people in general".

If you feel you are not close to what "people in general" are like, then I agree, you would be a bad example.

Thing is if cop did that in the UK or Canada the other cops would arrest that cop and take him to the hospital for 48 hour hold.

Just other thing the US is light years behind other first world countries.

What people that don't live in the US do not understand is the cops in the US can arrest you even if you broke no law.

19 minutes ago, nec209 said:

Thing is if cop did that in the UK or Canada the other cops would arrest that cop and take him to the hospital for 48 hour hold.

Just other thing the US is light years behind other first world countries.

What people that don't live in the US do not understand is the cops in the US can arrest you even if you broke no law.

No, not really. Police can only arrest someone if they have probable cause to believe that someone has broken a law. It is up to the courts to determine if a law was broken, not the police.

But like police in the UK or Canada, police in America sometimes make unlawful arrests.