'World's largest' solar and wind hydrogen plant

beecee

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-08/worlds-largest-solar-and-wind-hydrogen-plant-proposed-for-sa/9526706

'World's largest' solar and wind hydrogen plant proposed for regional SA:

A new solar and wind hydrogen plant, which has been dubbed the largest in the world, has been proposed for Crystal Brook in South Australia's Mid North.

The Labor Government has committed $25 million in grants and loans to renewable energy company, Neoen, to finalise plans and — pending development approvals — commence construction of a Hydrogen Superhub.

The French company also owns and operates the Hornsdale Wind Farm in Jamestown, SA, the site of the Tesla lithium-ion battery.

If approved for construction, the site will create up to 260 jobs during the planning and construction phase, with 40 ongoing positions once the site is operational.

The Crystal Brook facility will produce up to 400 megawatts of solar and wind power each day, which will power the site's hydrogen 'electrolyser' to potentially produce 20,000 kilograms of hydrogen daily.

The SA Government has said that exporting the hydrogen products created at the plant to markets in Asia was a possibility.

more at link......

1 hour ago, beecee said:

The Labor Government has committed $25 million in grants and loans to renewable energy company,

Why does it need them and what is the money going to be spent on?

1 hour ago, beecee said:

The Crystal Brook facility will produce up to 400 megawatts of solar and wind power each day,

Can someone explain how this works? Do the watts add up over the week? 

3 hours ago, beecee said:

The Crystal Brook facility will produce up to 400 megawatts of solar and wind power each day

On a rare occasion I agree with NortonH. Megawatts are a unit of power, not energy. There are two ways that sentence could make sense: "...will produce 400 megawatts of solar and wind power. Period." or "...will produce 400 megawatt-hours of electricity per day". Otherwise this "per day" makes absolutely no sense.

Edited by pavelcherepan

1 minute ago, pavelcherepan said:

On a rare occasion I agree with NortonH. Megawatts are a unit of power, not energy. There are two ways that sentence could make sense: "...will produce 400 megawatts of solar and wind power. Period." or "...will produce 400 megawatt-hours of solar and wind power per day".

Yet another way to misinterpret it..

MWh is not unit of power, but energy..

16 minutes ago, pavelcherepan said:

I have corrected my earlier post, but, alas, I was not quick enough.

No big deal, if you can accept making mistake, and fix it.. :)

The problem would be if somebody would make mistake and he/she would continue pressing that his/her vision is the only right one.. and everybody else are telling BS..

ps. +1 for humbleness..

20 hours ago, NortonH said:

Why does it need them and what is the money going to be spent on?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-08/worlds-largest-solar-and-wind-hydrogen-plant-proposed-for-sa/9526706  

"SA Energy Minister, Tom Koutsantonis said that new hydrogen projects would create economic benefits for the state and placed South Australia as a world leader in hydrogen production.

"Our Hydrogen Roadmap has laid the groundwork for South Australia to become a world leader in the emerging hydrogen production industry, and to benefit from the economic opportunities likely to flow from it," he said.

"More renewable energy means cheaper power, and I'm pleased the State Government can partner with Neoen to once again develop a world-leading renewable energy and storage project following the construction of the Tesla battery at Jamestown."

Franck Woitiez, the managing director of Neoen's Australian operations said the project would supply SA with renewable energy and would benefit other Australian states". 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Great stuff being undertaken by South Australian Labor government as most would agree.

Edited by beecee

A lot of interesting energy related goings on in South Australia, although I think less driven by an overarching desire to address emissions and climate change than making the best of circumstances, including a broader enduring failure within Australia to have a clear energy policy direction. Very high uptake of wind plus solar was probably not the intended outcome of intermittent policies that enabled them - policies that I think were intended more to appease community concerns about future climate through gestures, some with an underlying 'give them enough rope' element - than inducing significant underlying changes to address them.

Innovative international businesses with foresight can sense opportunity in the way the wind, so to speak, is blowing in a part of Australia that is sunnier and windier and more lacking in coal than most. A government that is under constant attack from cashed up pro-fossil fuels climate science denying obstructionists - who, by their nature, rely on misinformation and economic alarmist fears - is very welcoming of the kind of affirmation proposals like this or others (such as purchase of the Whyalla steelworks by a company with plans to power it largely with RE + storage). I doubt the current government foresaw that they would find themselves committing to the ongoing energy transition in such an unequivocal way; putting these issues into the too hard basket and avoiding any clear commitments is more usual. With an imminent state election in South Australia it is possible the pro-fossil fuel obstructionists - who have strong support from elements within the mainstream media - can use economic fears to oust the current pro-RE government and derail RE growth for another election cycle or two, yet I don't see any clear alternative energy policies being articulated.

Ultimately there can be none of the much desired "policy certainty" for Australia's electricity sector with anything less than energy policy that takes the advice about climate stability seriously and has an ongoing commitment to a ramping transition away from fossil fuels built into it; if it doesn't then it will be subject to legitimate criticism, including potential legal challenges as well as ongoing calls for change.

Edited by Ken Fabian

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.