Maths question - help required!

RyanJ

Ok, here is the question (From an old textbook I found...)

Princess Amira demands only the most luxurious of accommodations. So for her bath, she had glacial ice from Terror Mountain shipped to her palace in the Lost Desert. There, the ice was carved into a perfect sphere, exactly 2 meters in diameter. The ice sphere melted into her hexagonal bath measuring 1.5 meters on a side, and 0.8 meters deep.

If the desert heat uniformly melts the surface of the ice at a rate of 1.5mm of depth per minute, how many minutes will it take for her bath to be completely full? Please round up to the nearest minute, and assume the volume does not change between solid and liquid states.

Anyone have any idea as too the answer... i have been trying for a while and lets just say I'm getting annoyed with it right now as it is 1 AM here :)

Cheers,

RyanJ

1. when you say at a rate of 1.5mm of depth... is that 1.5 mm on the sphere or in the bottom of the bath?.

2. this is calculus... i FREAKING HATE CALCULUS.

sorry, i could probably figure it out, but i just graduated. im done with math for the summer.

i would absolutely love to hear how to do that without calc.

unless its a trick question' date=' which is an option im working on right now.[/quote']

its totally easy to do without calculus, your thinking of using differential equations to solve it but it doesn't need that.

you can work out the volume of the sphere and the volume of the bath, the only problem is the wording in this question. Im not sure wheather it means teh diamiter of the sphere decreses at 1.5mm/m or wheather it means the bath fills and 1.5mm/m if its the later then its really really easy, becasuse the bath is 0.8m high and it fills by 0.0015 m/m its then really simple maths. If it is the former its a little harder but only a little you need to work out the rate at which the sphere's volume changes, which i suppose you could use calculus for but you dont have to, and once you know this its just a matter of putting it into the worked out volume of the bath.

P.S i havent been part of this forum whats a neo nerd? and what are neo points, i want some now they sound cool. the more i get the more i become liek neo right and can fly and stuff yeh?

Haha Robotochan

You probably don't want anything to do with Neopoints.

But if you're really curious check out

http://www.neopets.com/

This question is under games > puzzle > Lenny's conundrum.

Every week there is a new puzzle and people like mister Ryan here go to scientific and math forums crying out for help with homework or disguising the question as curiosity.