A perspectives of the heat pumps

Moreno

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:43 PM, Endy0816 said:

Can I ask where your interest lies with this?

Are you wanting something better for personal use or just wanting to talk about theoretical ways we might improve COP?

Generally my experience is that there's always some form of resistance to our objectives(whatever they might be). Never seen anything that dictates how much there has to be though, so may be able to improve things until it is arbitrarily small(if still not zero). Heat exchangers, better materials, better collection/utilization of waste heat, etc.

I don't think I would need it for personal use in a foreseeable future. I thought about greener economy and possibility to reduce amount of CO2 emissions. Heat pumps can be helpful to a poor cold countries similar to Russia, Ukraine or Belarus where many people stagger to pay their gas bills. Unfortunately, modern heat pumps loose efficiency in strong frosts typical to these countries and some others similar to Canada or certain regions of US. However, theoretically, efficiency of heat pumps can be much higher even in strong colds.

14 hours ago, Moreno said:

I don't think I would need it for personal use in a foreseeable future. I thought about greener economy and possibility to reduce amount of CO2 emissions. Heat pumps can be helpful to a poor cold countries similar to Russia, Ukraine or Belarus where many people stagger to pay their gas bills. Unfortunately, modern heat pumps loose efficiency in strong frosts typical to these countries and some others similar to Canada or certain regions of US. However, theoretically, efficiency of heat pumps can be much higher even in strong colds.

Just to expand on the points you brought up, heat pumps are a key component of going fully fossil free.  Especially in colder places, ground source heat pumps make some sense.  District heating was common in USSR IIRC, and converting large plants to ground-source should be easier than trying to do each individual home.  (If I were king, emperor or ruler) I'd like to see large new buildings built to be fossil free in this manner and large subdivisions built with shared ground-source loop access run through individual heat-pumps.

A search on distributed ground-source came up with this link: heating - Why aren't Geothermal heat pumps more common? - Home Improvement Stack Exchange:  https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/7565/why-arent-geothermal-heat-pumps-more-common

Edited by Frank

52 minutes ago, Frank said:

heat pumps are a key component of going fully fossil free.

Why do the bean counters of this world always insist on killing the golden goose?

Geothermal can be overdone or it can be wonderful.

I understand that in certain parts of Sweden (where they did a lot of it) ground source heat pumps are now banned as they created ground permafrost.

Some civil engineering techniques depend upon ground freezing, which use basically huge GS heat pumps.

Edited by studiot

4 hours ago, studiot said:

Why do the bean counters of this world always insist on killing the golden goose?

Geothermal can be overdone or it can be wonderful.

I understand that in certain parts of Sweden (where they did a lot of it) ground source heat pumps are now banned as they created ground permafrost.

Some civil engineering techniques depend upon ground freezing, which use basically huge GS heat pumps.

A search of "sweden ground-source permafrost" brings up links about permafrost melting due to climate change.  Do you have a link about them being banned?