Any evidence intelligence inherited more from either parent?

Alfred001

Apparently there's been an article recently falsely claiming research has shown intelligence is exclusively or mainly inherited from the mother, which got me wondering, is there any evidence either parent contributes more to a child's intelligence?

1 hour ago, Alfred001 said:

Apparently there's been an article recently falsely claiming research has shown intelligence is exclusively or mainly inherited from the mother, which got me wondering, is there any evidence either parent contributes more to a child's intelligence?

Intelligence is not a single gene, so I doubt it.

3 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Intelligence is not a single gene, so I doubt it.

Actually I could think of a scenario where such an effect may be seen and misunderstood. I would assume that most children have more interaction with their mothers. Thus, it is possible that the type of interaction can affect things like IQ scores. Under these circumstances it is possible to see a higher correlation of children IQ (or other measures) with their mother than with that of the father. However, this is entirely speculative and may well be wrong.

10 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Actually I could think of a scenario where such an effect may be seen and misunderstood. I would assume that most children have more interaction with their mothers. Thus, it is possible that the type of interaction can affect things like IQ scores. Under these circumstances it is possible to see a higher correlation of children IQ (or other measures) with their mother than with that of the father. However, this is entirely speculative and may well be wrong.

You mean a false correlation genetically that should  actually be attributed to nurture?

Basically yes. The issue is that there is no good approach to disentangle these two factors in humans as we cannot standardize the environment. I.e. we can at best only do rough normalizations (e.g. via income) but that can miss hugely relevant elements.

Edited by CharonY

5 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Basically yes. The issue is that there is no good approach to disentangle these two factors in humans as we cannot standardize the environment. I.e. we can at best only do rough normalizations (e.g. via income) but that can miss hugely relevant elements.

Right.

16 hours ago, swansont said:

Do you have a link to this article?

Here's a link to an article critiquing that article (the link to the original article is in the first paragraph)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2016/09/16/no-research-has-not-established-that-you-inherited-your-intelligence-from-your-mother/#76047d606502

1 hour ago, Alfred001 said:

Here's a link to an article critiquing that article (the link to the original article is in the first paragraph)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2016/09/16/no-research-has-not-established-that-you-inherited-your-intelligence-from-your-mother/#76047d606502

The link to the original article is now dead, so in addition to nobody being willing to put their name to it (as the Forbes author put it), it may have been deleted. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 1:16 AM, CharonY said:

So the article was a deleted editorial that does not seem to reference a specific paper? Well, that puts it rest now, doesn't it?

Well, it was never really in question whether the claim is legitimate, I'm wondering more whether there's any legitimate evidence that intelligence is inherited more from either parent.

Typically one would discuss a hypothesis based the evidence level. Generally, widely open questions are hard to answer or to discuss. If there is no evidence that a phenomenon exist, the answer is always the same: there is no evidence for it. Unless, of course you want to send folks off to wild goose chases, which, admittedly sometimes can be interesting (bur rarely productive).

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

Typically one would discuss a hypothesis based the evidence level. Generally, widely open questions are hard to answer or to discuss. If there is no evidence that a phenomenon exist, the answer is always the same: there is no evidence for it. Unless, of course you want to send folks off to wild goose chases, which, admittedly sometimes can be interesting (bur rarely productive).

Heres a wild goose chase...Whenever I spend more time with my 23 month old in the last few months, both me and my partner we see a dramatic change in his behaviour, progression and widely interpreted development. Its dozens of small things that change/get triggered in him and all of them are for the positive. I’m talking a timescale of 2, 3 days maximum...if I spend/don’t spend a lot of time with the little guy in that short time frame, the differences are very noticable. Its logical to assume that having a single parent will bring profound and probably permanent effects. 

As for intelligence being inherited biologically from either parent alone, it sounds like complete nonsense. I’m far from being an expert on genetics but this sounds like something extremely far fetched and most likely biased by some ideological agenda. At least I hope so...evolution is an ongoing process and theres recent shifts in perceiving gender related issues.

:P 

20 minutes ago, koti said:

As for intelligence being inherited biologically from either parent alone, it sounds like complete nonsense. I’m far from being an expert on genetics but this sounds like something extremely far fetched and most likely biased by some ideological agenda.

What agenda would that be though?

27 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

What agenda would that be though?

The question is, what exactly is intelligence? Its such a difficult concept to define that its nearly impossible to state fully what factors cause it. We can be sure that knowledge, experience, upbringing are all factors but we can never be sure thats all. Its not a binary concept like say 2+2=4 or time dilation is a tested scientific fact, or that the sole purpose of guns is to kill. Theres much more nuance in the issue.

Edited by koti

• 2 weeks later...

Intelligent parents (if they're not too busy their own career) are talking with children, teaching children, discussing with teenager (two-way conversation, not just one way transmission of orders). Not-so-intelligent parents don't have much to say and don't teach much their children, as they by them self, don't know much about this world.

Intelligent parents, are giving them toys, devices, things, books, quiz, questions to rethink, that develop their intelligence. They're treating their children as partners instead of "yet another one head to feed" (one of the most liked parents phrases usually used here by farmers and poor people.. If they didn't want to have "yet another one head to feed" they should use e.g. anti-conception or abortion.. Going from medium poor status of family, to extremely poor status, is extremely easy, just don't do anything, which will result in borning children every year of marriage/relationship (while maintaining pretty constant income).. Extremely poor families can start committing crimes to feed their children.. and children can start to steal food because of hunger).

While teaching, learning, talking, reading, playing, new connections in brain are created. Not properly stimulated brain won't develop connections.

"Intelligence" that can be inherited from parents, in genes, e.g. genetic modification/mutation in better blood supply to the brain (the more Oxygen).

Edited by Sensei

Smart parents are extending their children horizons, stupid parents are shrinking their children horizons..

Children are naturally curious of the world. Somebody with limited horizons, can destroy this natural curiosity..